Question Do you ever practice dropping weights and handling the unexpected ascent?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In tropical waters (skinsuit or a 3mm) with steel BPW I use 3kg, 2kg of which in waist trim pockets (ditchable), 1kg is tank-mounted trim. TBH that's a fraction overweighted (the boats I use never seem to have 0.5kg weights) and I could very probably drop the 2kg without zipping upwards, so I've not tried.

I did however, try to imagine myself heavier and get within a few fins reach of an OW chap on a recent set of dives who explained on the first dive that his (rented) BCD seemed to be inflating slightly over time (!) Even worse he then explained that wasn't a problem because he was "always" using the in/deflator to ascend/descend anyway and he could adjust frequently... Thankfully he swapped the BCD a few dives later, though he might still be DJing the in/deflator buttons to this day.

Why? Seriously what sense does that "rule" make and under what conditions?
I'm guessing the idea here is that you have no more weight total than would make you neutral with an empty cylinder. If your ditchable weight is just the weight of the air in the full cylinder, then throughout the dive you could become immediately neutral or positive by dropping that weight.

But I'm not sure this accounts for doing a rapid descent wearing a compressible suit.

An event like this can be scary (and dangerous).

Many folks will read your post and say things like, "clearly no predive safety check." It is easy to be dismissive and assume diver error. Some weight pockets "feel" like they are locked, others make an audible click. You can be fooled sometimes -- even when you check.

Recommend you take a look at your equipment manufacturer's website and see if there is a recall on your weight pockets. (I had a recall on my gear a couple of years back as the clips were known to fail on a specific batch.)

Also recommend you look at your BCD manual and verify that your weight pockets are rated for the amount of weight you are using. (Depending on your body type, exposure suit, etc ... you can actually put more weight in the pockets than the manufacturer has included in the design.)

If I am diving in a 5 mil or 7 mil and need "lots of weight" I am always certain to consider distribution. I use my trim pockets, my weight pockets, AND a weight belt. This allows for me to have to progressively change my buoyancy. First swift motion and the belt is gone, weight pockets are a pull a each ... 2 seconds overall but I am in control -- not flying toward the surface if I need to drop.

I would encourage you to get in the pool with an instructor if you are going to practice weight drops. The first atmosphere (shallow diving from surface to 33 feet) is the biggest change in volume we experience. We often see shallow water as somehow exempt from the risk, particularly the risk of expansion injuries.

You can work with your instructor to "keep it safe." There is quite a difference between equipment practice and emergency drills. Many agencies only drop weight on the surface and "remove and replace" weight below. This is also further complicated by rental gear. Not all manufacturers are created equal and not all maintenance folks to what needs doing.
He was in a rental BC

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom