Question Do you ever practice dropping weights and handling the unexpected ascent?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are going to practice it, always make sure to look down first😳

Up, too.

Though one has to wonder: why? You drop the lead, you'll do a polaris. It's elementary school physics, what's there to "practice"?

... I remember coming across a wide-eyed diver holding on to the hand rail of a wreck, feet up. He'd lost his weight belt which was on the deck of the wreck. Not sure what his plan was if I hadn't have come along!
When I had just begun diving a drysuit (1993, IIRC), I wore the rubber weight belt (old-school weight belt with a wire buckle) I wore with my two-piece farmer John. On one particular drysuit dive, I was on the surface attempting to reel in my DSMB (a lift bag) that I had sent up from a Mackinaw Straits shipwreck. My wreck line caught my wire buckle and tripped it open, and I lost my belt and my homemade weights. Thereafter I wore a nylon weightbelt with *two* SS buckles whenever I dove my drysuit. You really don't want to accidentally lose your weight belt at depth when you're diving dry!

rx7diver

If you dive between 3m/10ft and 6m/20ft, you should only have to add a tiny amount of air to your BC to offset the weight of a full cylinder.
Five pounds of air would require about 2 1/2 quarts of air in your BC to offset it.

Back
Top Bottom