Do you dive with strokes?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Enough.

My fingers are getting twitchy.

I have a meeting to go to and I better not come back to a thread that I have to moderate.

That's what you get the big bucks for.:14:

Bikini.jpg

Cool. DIR HCF.

OK, back to the original topic.

I've done a dive with a buddy who shall remain nameless who turned out to be completely unreliable. I will not dive with that buddy again.

I'm about to give the bad news to an occasional buddy that if he doesn't spend some dang $$ and stop diving on the rattiest rental gear I have ever seen, that I am not going to dive with him anymore.

I mean seriously, I half expect him to show up with a full-on Sea Hunt rig every time we dive. Where is he renting this crap from? I worry about air-sharing from a dual-hose reg that once belonged to Lloyd Bridges.

I dive with people all the time who aren't DIR, don't have back plates, wings, and a long hose. I dive with new divers quiet often when working OW/AOW classes and we have a regional group of DIR divers that meet up at least once a month who invite anybody to come dive. We typically get quiet a few questions about gear, procedures, and skillls. It makes for an eye opening experience for many new divers. :)

I'm about to give the bad news to an occasional buddy that if he doesn't spend some dang $$ and stop diving on the rattiest rental gear I have ever seen, that I am not going to dive with him anymore.

I mean seriously, I half expect him to show up with a full-on Sea Hunt rig every time we dive. Where is he renting this crap from? I worry about air-sharing from a dual-hose reg that once belonged to Lloyd Bridges.

This is a good point. The condition of gear matters to me because it is MY dive that ends up going to crap if something goes wrong. Not to mention it is gear that provides access to my backup gas.

Lloyd Bridges is a total S***** from what I hear.

This doesn't just apply to diving either ... many years ago I used to borrow camping gear from a college buddy of mine. Talk about ratty ... this stuff was cheap to begin with, poorly maintained, dirty ... he wouldn't even dry the stuff out before putting it away.

Finally, one day, I was forced to put my foot down and tell him that if he didn't get his act together, I was just gonna start borrowing someone else's gear ... :no

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

When buddy breathing was something you really had to practice!

Don't put the old double hoses down, some of them are much more reliable then any modern reg, especially in cold/frezzing water, they just cannot freeze up. In fact the main Lloyd Bridges reg was a Voit 50 Fathom a near copy of the US divers DW Air Stream/Mistral type of single stage regulator. There is only one valve seat and one O-ring and that O-ring is not under pressure.

More back in line with the original thread: If I do find that I'm going to dive with someone who has gear that makes me doubt their ability to provide gas in an emergency, I will think twice (if I'm not in doubles. If in double, maybe only 1 1/2 x :wink: ).

Someone who's new and just picked up an Air2 comes to mind (been there, done that, didn't get a t-shirt wouldn't wear one if I had, didn't go diving with that person again, there were other things wrong with their diving approach ... )

When buddy breathing was something you really had to practice!

Don't put the old double hoses down, some of them are much more reliable then any modern reg, especially in cold/frezzing water, they just cannot freeze up. In fact the main Lloyd Bridges reg was a Voit 50 Fathom a near copy of the US divers DW Air Stream/Mistral type of single stage regulator. There is only one valve seat and one O-ring and that O-ring is not under pressure.

I'm sure that will be very comforting when I need to air-share. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom