Do you dive with strokes?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
As long as they are competent and safe divers, who cares if they're DIR or not. If you're doing dives in areas that are challenging, care and familiarity of/with the buddy and his abilities is probably more essential... but than again, I always dive with the same DIR buddy.....

As long as they are competent and safe divers, who cares if they're DIR or not. If you're doing dives in areas that are challenging, care and familiarity of/with the buddy and his abilities is probably more essential... but than again, I always dive with the same DIR buddy.....

I would disagree for cave/technical dives. For these cases, I am 99% going to dive with someone that has had GUE (or equivalent) training.

I do not want to to a tech dive with someone that has their eye glued to their computer, who has a different idea of deco than me, different gas selection, or that has a different opinion on what "team diving" means etc. etc. etc.

For recreational dives, it also depends. I can, will and have dived with non-DIR/GUE divers on recreational dives, but I generally need to get a sense they will stay close, and follow the same profile/gas planning as I do.

If i were to dive say on a 100 foot wreck, where you are in a shipping lane, and have to return to the upline, I would almost certainly restrict myself to people with similar training.

If I am doing a days diving in the 70-80 foot range on catalina Island, I am much more open to diving with other people.

Each diver/team has to make their own judgement on which divers are "safe", which will follow their procedures "close enough" and for what kind of dives they are willing to dive with people with potentially dis-similar training

Yessir, but she's not DIR!

gross_pink_bikini.jpg

Before any of the Philippine Paradise Divers jump in, I categorically deny that the above person is me.

My outfits have tassells.

I'll dive with anybody, If your relying on a buddy to keep you safe in a recreational setting, you are an idiot. If you do potentially dangerous dives, then you should definately be on the same wavelength as your dive partners. I believe that if you are squared away you are aware of everything and everybody in the water around you. There are many divers who are very competent, (and fun) and are not DIR. On the other hand, I have had DIR training/gear arguements with GUE trained fat old men with man breasts that I wouldn't trust to walk my grandmother across the street let alone dive with because I though they were going to have a heart attack. Just because you have a GUE card doesn't mean you aren't a stroke.

On the other hand, I have had DIR training/gear arguements with GUE trained fat old men with man breasts that I wouldn't trust to walk my grandmother across the street let alone dive with because I though they were going to have a heart attack. Just because you have a GUE card doesn't mean you aren't a stroke.

yup. .................................
I prefer to place risk in some logical order and that one trumps the redundant mask. Fitness should go near the top before you seriously worry about the buddy's dogma.

yup. .................................
I prefer to place risk in some logical order and that one trumps the redundant mask. Fitness should go near the top before you seriously worry about the buddy's dogma.
But if you don't have a reasonable level of fitness, you aren't DIR ... no matter what agency issued your card. A lifestyle that promotes fitness and health is one of the basic tenets of the program ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

well I know some people who think they are.

I do appreciate the DIR philosphy for emphasizing fitness, kudos to them.

Not so much for my safety, but I want divers (and myself) to understand the REAL risks they assume, not just the ones that get touted as so important and are way down the list.

Sure, somebody could kick my mask off, but that mac and cheese is more likely to do ya in, which puts many compliance issues in a perspective when defining who is and is not a stroke.

I sort of agree with the notion that dives are DIR, not individuals.

Most activities with a certain threshold of danger require a more than subjective "I do the best that I can, or I try" on the fitness requirement. I'd want to know my cave buddy could pass a stress test, for example, not just hover well and provide gas.

well I know some people who think they are.

I do appreciate the DIR philosphy for emphasizing fitness.

Not so much for my safety, but I want divers (and myself) to understand the REAL risks they assume, not just the ones that get touted as so important and are way down the list.

Sure, somebody could kick my mask off, but that mac and cheese is more likely to do ya in, which puts many compliance issues in a perspective when defining who is and is not a stroke.
That kind of self delusion is a problem. I know for myself, that I removed myself from any tech diving until I could rehab my shoulder (I separated it during the summer.)

I would consider that if I dove, I would be compromising the team because I was unable to do valve manipulations, so I removed myself from the team.

That kind of self delusion is a problem. I know for myself, that I removed myself from any tech diving until I could rehab my shoulder (I separated it during the summer.)

... arm wrestling with the cat again, Jeff? :shakehead:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

... arm wrestling with the cat again, Jeff? :shakehead:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

No, get this, it was from a heathly lifestyle. LOL

Downhill mountaining biking. Drove into a pile of rocks at 25 mph. (Took it out with my shoulder)

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom