Do you dive with or without your snorkel attached and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it quite interesting that a little plastic tube could generate so much discussion and difference in opinion (distinguished from fact or truth). I shudder to think what a discussion on a "complicated" piece of equipment, say a dive masK, would generate!

Vetscalpel:
I find it quite interesting that a little plastic tube could generate so much discussion and difference in opinion (distinguished from fact or truth). I shudder to think what a discussion on a "complicated" piece of equipment, say a dive masK, would generate!

Well we don't really understand complicated threads here so they normally only last about 7 or 8 posts :D

softdiveuk:
(The only bit of gear I have seen divers being compelled to use by a skipper is a reel and DSMB, as an aside.)

Which imho is an absolutely essential safety aid given the conditions that are normal.

We certainly dont let people off our boats without that basic bit of kit. That atlantic is quite a large area to search for someone.....

Edit:- Then again we refuse to let them in the water with a snorkel on the mask too :)

Vetscalpel:
I shudder to think what a discussion on a "complicated" piece of equipment, say a dive masK, would generate!

Most people tend to agree a mask is a fairly useful tool for diving both above and especially below sea level...

I'm surprised by the amount of arguement over the Co2 buildup. Co2 management is taught for scuba, snorkelers and swimmers. You are taught breathing techniques to prevent problems. Swimmers are taught breathing techniques not to reduce Co2 content so much that they prevent the burn it causes that tells you to surface. Snorkelers are supposed to exhale deep enough to prevent too much buildup (the same with scuba). Since you will be clearing the snorkel from time to time, it will also help. I don't see the Co2 issue threatening as much as a nuisance.

The way I see all the posts, really there are two major contentious issues and the rest are minor points:
Point 1: Primary equipment failure and left at sea.
Point 2: Entanglement

I am torn and in calm seas do not wear my snorkle but I agree that there is a safety argument for wearing one.

I just returned from my death-defying snorkel-carrying trip to Key Largo.

The diving was very nice, although I didn't see the sharks that were supposedly heading down the coast, or any other big critters.

I brought along my shiny new Oceanic snorkel. It has corrugated tubing (silicone?) on both ends and folds right up in a small BC pocket, so there are no entanglement issues.

There's a small flat velcro tab that goes on the mask strap.

I gave it a try after a dive, before returning to the boat. It's easy to attach, works very nicely and stows completely away when not needed.

On a completely different topic, why do new divers assume that the place they were dropped off is complete crap, and that the place that's far away is best place in the world?

The captain gave a simple dive briefing that ended with "there's a dive flag on the boat and a lot of boat traffic in the area. You need to stay within 100 feet or about 30 meters of the boat."

We hit the water and my two buddies immediately took off like torpedoes, heading out towards the open sandy bottom, way past the 100 foot mark (probably closer to 500 feet) directly for the UK. I followed for a little while, then decided they were obviously on a mission and let them go.

After a while they got tired and came back.

What's the deal? Why do people do this? What's the big attraction to going fast and far in some random direction? I see it pretty much all the time but have no idea what the thinking behind it is.

Terry

Web Monkey:
I just returned from my death-defying snorkel-carrying trip to Key Largo.

What's the deal? Why do people do this? (race away) What's the big attraction to going fast and far in some random direction? I see it pretty much all the time but have no idea what the thinking behind it is.

Terry

Terry,

Glad you survived! Maybe the other divers were afraid of the fact that you were carrying a concealed snorkel?? :eyebrow:

Rob

pilot fish:
I see a lot of divers without their snorkels, new divers tend to have them attached, and was wondering if the more experienced divers were not using them becsuse they didn't want to look like a newbie, or just don't see the need for them. How anybody would not wear one doing a drift dive is puzzling

Usually it's required to have a snorkel with you while you're diving. In Laguna Beach the life guards will be checking to see if you have one. They have asked a few times, and they are quite militant on the subject.I don't like snorkels, but a great one to have is the Avid snorkel. I can keep it in my bc pocket, and it's there if I do need it.

Vetscalpel:

Pages upon pages my friend.

http://scubaboard.com/showthread.php?p=1002626#post1002626

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom