Do you dive with or without your snorkel attached and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mr. String,

GBAMS28 said:

GBAMS28:
With any sort of rough conditions it makes it a lot easier to breathe on the surface. Especially important when running low on air.;/QUOTE]

And once again you claimed:

String:
Simply not true.

Enough people have posted their stories of how the lowly SNORK was useful to them, usually in rough seas, that we can say without equivocation that:

YES, the SNORK does have its uses, ESPECIALLY in rough seas.

Does one have to wear it all of the time? If one is acting as an instructor for an agency which requires it in its teaching rules then, obviously:

YES, under those conditions, one MUST wear it!

Does any diver, once certified, have to WEAR a SNORK?

NO, one does not have to WEAR one. (Although, if diving where it is mandated, one had best have one to DISPLAY; i.e. certain beaches in California come to mind.)

Now, having established that the lowly SNORK can be useful, and further, having established constant attachment is not REQUIRED (except as noted), then by extrapolation we can derive the idea that:

(1) POSSESSING a SNORK is a handy idea, and

(2) a FOLDING SNORK tucked into a pocket (or suitably concealed in some manner) is, in fact, a GRAND idea!!!!

Now at this point, Mr. String, you have not countered, either through example or statistics, the contention that the SNORK IS USEFUL AT TIMES, since by sheer weight of anecdotal evidence that usefulness HAS been demonstrated.

To simply keep reiterating that this is somehow not true, as you are doing, is to fly in the face of reality.

No one is going to force you to possess, fondle, manipulate, or utilize the (in your unique view) dangerous and deadly SNORK. Similarly, no one is going to stop you from mangling, twisting, torturing, or otherwise man-handling (a la Uncle Pug-see other posts for hideous descriptions) the poor lowly SNORK.

It is time, however, for you, Mr. String, to stop bashing the deceased equine. If you have evidence that the SNORK is the deadly creature you believe it to be, bring forth your statistics. If you cannot, it is time for you to subside beneath the waves!

String:
Simply not true.

String,

I understand your point of maintaining a researve of air to swim back with and that a snorkel is not needed to surface swim even without air. However, if you read his point, he indicated low on air and that it would be easier (not needed) than no snorkel. Some people find breathing through a snorkel easier rather than nothing at all. You and others may not be one, but the poster indicated he was. So for him, low on air and at the surface, the snorkel regained some gas management that had either been unplanned for or lost (whether due to a low on air buddy or himself).

I don't understand why we have two adamant sides convinced they can out-argue each other. If you find it useful, use one. If you don't, don't. If it is an agency brianwashing upsetting you, write the agency. If they don't respond to your satisfaction, generate a petition to revise their policy. This board seems the perfect place to generate one.

I wear a snorkel when I am assisting a class or doing a scuba review. I agree that they are a problem in wrecks. I never take one in a wreck. There are enough things to get hung up on. I'm not going to take in another hazard with me. I do a lot of local diving in quarries and lakes where the surface is calm and we may swim a good distance on the surface. There I swim with a snorkel to watch divers, fish, etc below the surface. I don't like pocket snorkels. They are great ides, but every one I have seen leaked at the joint. Snorkels are useful tools in the right setting. They just aren't for every dive situation.

nanadiver:
They are great ides, but every one I have seen leaked at the joint. Snorkels are useful tools in the right setting. They just aren't for every dive situation.

I just picked up an Oceanic Pocket Snorkel, and it doesn't have any joints. It's pretty cool. Just a rigid tube and 2 flexible tubes.

Terry

Weelllll. Hmmm. I live in Hawaii. I don't dive with a snorkel but take it in my pocket for surface swims out and back if I want to (can still look at all the pretty fish).

While on the boat, there have been a number of times that dolphins or whales were nearby and we could get in (relax - they came to us) with our snorkels to observe. Having a snorkel with me was a good thing then.

That being said, I HATE diving with them. They are unnecssary during the dive.

BigJetDriver69:
Hey, Barboursville, howdy!

Rob
originally from St. Albans

Hi St Albans. Where are you diving now? We are getting to go back to Circleville, then hit other spots as it gets warmer.

I always have my snorkel attached to my mask.
I also try to make my students always keep their snorkel attached to their masks.

It does not really bother anybody, and if you need it you have it.

More than once I have seen divers come up to a rough sea, try to switch to their snorkel and by the time they have fiddled it out of their pockets swallowed more than one gulp of sea water.

And I have seen more than one snorkel lost when people after snorkeling out to a buoy try to put the snorkel back into the pocket before descending...

My snorkel is attached to my mask, and that's where it will stay!

Dearman:
String,

I understand your point of maintaining a researve of air to swim back with and that a snorkel is not needed to surface swim even without air. However, if you read his point, he indicated low on air and that it would be easier (not needed) than no snorkel. Some people find breathing through a snorkel easier rather than nothing at all. You and others may not be one, but the poster indicated he was. So for him, low on air and at the surface, the snorkel regained some gas management that had either been unplanned for or lost (whether due to a low on air buddy or himself).

So inflate the BC and/or drysuit and swim on your back. Very easy, very relaxing and works in all seas.

If it is an agency brianwashing upsetting you, write the agency. If they don't respond to your satisfaction, generate a petition to revise their policy. This board seems the perfect place to generate one.

Luckily my agency doesnt force snorkels onto instructors or students other than the initial pool training without dive gear to build confidence so thats not really a concern to be. I would however be furious if some 2 bit dive operator demanded i wear one.

pilot fish:
I see a lot of divers without their snorkels, new divers tend to have them attached, and was wondering if the more experienced divers were not using them becsuse they didn't want to look like a newbie, or just don't see the need for them. How anybody would not wear one doing a drift dive is puzzling

When I surface, I always breath out from my regulator and keep my air for emergency re-dive. So there is to much wave I ware it, if not I breath direct from top,

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom