Do you dive with or without your snorkel attached and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
BigJetDriver69:
Terry,

Glad you survived! Maybe the other divers were afraid of the fact that you were carrying a concealed snorkel?? :eyebrow:

Rob

Could be!

They probably had concealed snorkel-detectors. "Grab him! He's got a snorkel!"

Web Monkey:
On a completely different topic, why do new divers assume that the place they were dropped off is complete crap, and that the place that's far away is best place in the world?
Terry

I explained this piece of usually male behavior to a female friend once. I call it the mangy mutt syndrome. Like a dog, whatever is within your grasp cannot be nearly as good as what another has or is just beyond reach. Try it. Feed a dog a bone and then take out another and pretend YOU are enjoying it. His will no longer be half as tasty. Give him yours and then do the same with the one he drops. The cycle repeats. Farmers notice the same effect in cows. The infamous, "the grass is always greener on the other side". Never mind the barb wire, the risk is worth it, right?

Sorry to stray from snorkels.

pilot fish:
I see a lot of divers without their snorkels, new divers tend to have them attached, and was wondering if the more experienced divers were not using them becsuse they didn't want to look like a newbie, or just don't see the need for them. How anybody would not wear one doing a drift dive is puzzling

I'm not a really experienced diver, (200 dives). I've been in some very rough seas and currents.

I hate having a snorkel dangeling on my mask strap, but the safety issue is important to me.

The answer that works for me ia a Zeagle foldable snorkel in my BC pocket. The attachment is a little awkward, so if the waters are rough, I rig it before entering.

The snokel itself works fine, but if I'm just snorkeling between dives I use a larger, more traditional snorkel.

I love scuba but most of the out-of-country trips that I go on (mostly in Belize) are with non-diving undergraduate students. I am the teaching assistant and responsible for their safety. In the abundance of caution and security I always keep my snorkel on my mask, even if I know I will not need it. So much of diving is about looking out for your buddy and your group members. Just because you don't need your snorkel does not mean that your buddy will not, you just never know. Why would the same group of people that carry an octo and spare fin straps (not to mention spare air - $$) not also bring along their snokel? Scuba safety is all about redundency. Right?

dannidiver:
I love scuba but most of the out-of-country trips that I go on (mostly in Belize) are with non-diving undergraduate students. I am the teaching assistant and responsible for their safety. In the abundance of caution and security I always keep my snorkel on my mask, even if I know I will not need it. So much of diving is about looking out for your buddy and your group members. Just because you don't need your snorkel does not mean that your buddy will not, you just never know. Why would the same group of people that carry an octo and spare fin straps (not to mention spare air - $$) not also bring along their snokel? Scuba safety is all about redundency. Right?

I'm sure lots of people that buy spare airs use snorkels too *wink*

dannidiver:
Just because you don't need your snorkel does not mean that your buddy will not, you just never know. Why would the same group of people that carry an octo and spare fin straps (not to mention spare air - $$) not also bring along their snokel? Scuba safety is all about redundency. Right?

..and heres the agency brainwashing and misunderstandings coming through again. Octopus is a safety device, fin straps are potential dive savers. Snorkels are useless tubes and in no way are redundancy for any of the rest of your dive kit.

String:
Snorkels are useless tubes and in no way are redundancy for any of the rest of your dive kit.

You're absolutely correct. A snorkel has no utility in *diving*. I believe everyone intuitively recognizes that, or soon after they submerge and try to breathe off one. :wink:

I guess it comes down to a matter of comfort. If having "that little piece of plastic" makes you more comfortable in the water, then by all means carry it. If it makes you uncomfortable then don't. This isn't religion you know....you aren't damned one way or the other. Just like with most items, if you are doing things that make it a hazard, don't wear it. I find it annoying with a camera because the strap of the camera and the snork don't play well together. However, as I said a long-long-time ago, on that 50 yard swimn, in the dark, in light chop, I would have liked to have it. Did I need it? no, would it have made the swimn back to the boat easier? yes.

Always with.

With any sort of rough conditions it makes it a lot easier to breathe on the surface. Especially important when running low on air.

Gbams28:
Always with.

With any sort of rough conditions it makes it a lot easier to breathe on the surface. Especially important when running low on air.

Simply not true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom