Do you dive with or without your snorkel attached and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
BigJetDriver69:
Swimming against the current and in the chop might have been a bad idea with either regulator OR the snork.

You did the right thing. You recognized the problem, took the easiest and shortest course, and solved the problem. Good job! Good thinking!

No boat crew in their right mind will refuse you boarding.

Cheers!

Rob Davie :doctor:

Thank you Charlie and Bigjet. I really had no chice, as I saw it. I was TOTALLY out of breath and a bit scared. I knew I could not make my boat against the current so opted for the shortest refuge. Any port in a storm :) I've been told they are reluctant to let stray divers on thier boat because they won't get off it and they don't want the resposnibility, not to mention they all go back to docks many miles from each other in Florida.

pilot fish:
Thank you Charlie and Bigjet. I really had no choice, as I saw it. I was TOTALLY out of breath and a bit scared. I knew I could not make my boat against the current so opted for the shortest refuge. Any port in a storm :) I've been told they are reluctant to let stray divers on their boats because they won't get off it and they don't want the responsibility, not to mention they all go back to docks many miles from each other in Florida.

Pilot Fish,

Again, very well done! You analyzed the situation quickly, and correctly. You took the best course possible, and made a problem into a non-event. You have made your instructor proud and yourself an even better diver in the process.

In terms of the boats, they PREFER not to pick up divers from other groups. I know of no crews that would refuse. Most of them are good people and willing to help. Even if they did not want to, if they REFUSED they would be subject to criminal and administrative penalties.

It's as much habit as not, but I do find I still occasionally use the snorkle. On boat dives I'll often switch to it if I have to spend any time on the surface, although travelling any distance is easier on your back. Again I've often spent my surface interval just snorkling to pass the time. There is no right or wrong, just training and preferrence. Jim

Never use a snorkel nowadays for the following reasons:

1. Never found the use for one whether surface swimming or waiting for a boat pick-up. If the waves/chop are that steep, you have a problem much more serious that you think in terms of being recovered by the boat, ie having a snorkel to hand might literally be the last of your worries, and if you have been at all conservative on air ie surfacing with 60 bar plus, you will be able to breathe for a long time even on a 12L tank. (ie 600-700 litres should last even a tense individual 20 minutes plus.)

2. Entanglement, esp. with a long-hose twinset arrangement mentioned by others. Still a pain on single-tank configurations as well.

3. May cause mask leakage if tugged to one side.

If you really want to have one, strap on to your calf, although I think entanglement is still a problem, just a problem that moved to your leg. It gives some people comfort that they can reach for one, but I would not bother. Not a bad idea to pack one if you are going somewhere warm/tropical, as you may end up doing some snorkelling...

Why do you query people not taking one for a 'drift dive'? Sorry if someone else on the thread asked this already...

SD

Always dive with a snorkel. You never know if there will be rough waves when you get to the surface - and for drift dives that boat could be a few minutes before it picks you up.

MASS-Diver:
Most boats where....in vacation diver central? When did a computer become a saftey item?

Sorry, but not on any dive boat I have used either in the UK or elsewhere has using a snorkel been compulsory! What is the world coming to?! ...

(The only bit of gear I have seen divers being compelled to use by a skipper is a reel and DSMB, as an aside.)

MASS-Diver:
Good one - not wearing a snorkle is like not wearing a seatbelt. What's a long hose then or is that something you have never even considered? Let me guess your rig (since you are accussing everyone who does not dive YOUR way as being RECKLESS):

1.) Dual $75 snorkels on a HUGE mask
2.) short primary, Air II
3.) Dual Spare Airs (with a 6cu pony set aside for "deep" dives)
4.) no cutting tools
5.) 3 computers, no compass
6.) no backup mask
What I really don't understand is his profile says he's advanced wreck and cave certified!!!

But being one of those idiots, who never brings a snorkel, and therfore apparently doesn't know how to use one, that shouldn't come as a surpirse!

Very Funny to Say!

Hi, every body. Today I had a nice two tanks dive on a Reef Clean Up at 2 West Palm Beach Reefs. Well is very funny to say that today wild I am getting ready with the other divers to go in the water, the captain give every body a 5 minutes warning. I started to look around at saw few divers looking and staring at me.
I didn’t understand why? A second later the light bulb when off in my head as I set there and gat ready and double checking my equipment. I realize that I was the only one with a snorkel on this boat.
Well, I am happy to say that the staring from the other divers did not influence me on my first dive, and yes I did use the snorkel on my first dive of the day.
Yes I did say the first dive of the day. During my first dive and I quickly found out that the snorkel gat on my way a few times, while I was trying to stay suspended on top of a beautiful reef I found a fishing line entangle in some plants in the reef. So I was up side down trying to stay above the reef to avoid damaging it. I quickly find out some of my equipment getting entangle with my snorkel with other part of my scuba gear. Then I started to smiled and think.
On my second dive I took my snorkel out and put it in my scuba gear bag... I don't understand what happen, but I guess that I learn a lesson from somebody! Right? beside with spend most of our time in the water and not at the surface.... that is why we are SCUBA DIVER and not snorkels... :)

pilot fish:
I see a lot of divers without their snorkels, new divers tend to have them attached, and was wondering if the more experienced divers were not using them becsuse they didn't want to look like a newbie, or just don't see the need for them. How anybody would not wear one doing a drift dive is puzzling

Never use one while diving; they're a nuisance and surface swims are more complicated with them than without.

CarlosG:
On my second dive I took my snorkel out and put it in my scuba gear bag...

Carlos,

Glad you had a good set of dives. I would recommend that you take your snorkel WITH you, in a pocket, or strapped to your harness. If you will read a lot of these stories on this thread, you will find many examples showing that there WILL be times when it would be good to have it with you!

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom