Do you dive with or without your snorkel attached and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
MASS-Diver:
Use a snokel all you want - but they are at best useless and red flag to most people that know what they are doing.

False.

I know what I am doing, I get paid to it, I carry a snorkel, and I know how to use it.

----------------------

I teach this class (I'm D. Aleman); and one of my favorite topics:

Logic 101: Introduction to Logic, Skepticism, and Critical Thinking. Course covers basic elements of logical arguments, critical thinking, how to approach ideas skeptically, and how to critique the arguments of others.

Cognitive Dissonance (D. Aleman)

Overview:

According to cognitive dissonance theory, there is a tendency for individuals to seek consistency among their cognitions (i.e., beliefs, opinions). When there is an inconsistency between attitudes or behaviors (dissonance), something must change to eliminate the dissonance. In the case of a discrepancy between attitudes and behavior, it is most likely that the attitude will change to accommodate the behavior.

Two factors affect the strength of the dissonance: the number of dissonant beliefs, and the importance attached to each belief. There are three ways to eliminate dissonance: (1) reduce the importance of the dissonant beliefs, (2) add more consonant beliefs that outweigh the dissonant beliefs, or (3) change the dissonant beliefs so that they are no longer inconsistent.

Dissonance occurs most often in situations where an individual must choose between two incompatible beliefs or actions. The greatest dissonance is created when the two alternatives are equally attractive. Furthermore, attitude change is more likely in the direction of less incentive since this results in lower dissonance. In this respect, dissonance theory is contradictory to most behavioral theories which would predict greater attitude change with increased incentive (i.e., reinforcement).

Scope/Application:

Dissonance theory applies to all situations involving attitude formation and change. It is especially relevant to decision-making and problem-solving.

Example:

Consider someone who buys an expensive car but discovers that it is not comfortable on long drives. Dissonance exists between their beliefs that they have bought a good car and that a good car should be comfortable. Dissonance could be eliminated by deciding that it does not matter since the car is mainly used for short trips (reducing the importance of the dissonant belief) or focusing on the cars strengths such as safety, appearance, handling (thereby adding more consonant beliefs). The dissonance could also be eliminated by getting rid of the car, but this behavior is a lot harder to achieve than changing beliefs.

Principles:

1. Dissonance results when an individual must choose between attitudes and behaviors that are contradictory.

2. Dissonance can be eliminated by reducing the importance of the conflicting beliefs, acquiring new beliefs that change the balance, or removing the conflicting attitude or behavior.

Sorry bro, I have to say I don't follow - I guess I'm not as smart as you - maybe I should take your course.

Here's why I don't carry a snorkel

1.) I think a long hose is a superior way to share gas under any circumstances - go and practice for yourself and see what you think - this means no snorkel

2.) I don't want to have a huge entanglement risk attached to my HEAD

3.) On the surface, under any circumstances, I swim on back - it's a more powerful kick and I can look around (for rescuers) - why would I want my face in the water in this situation? I need to be looking for help. On my back - the snorkel is no good. I've been in huge see and I found the snorkle to be useless.

4.) I want to look cool for the girls, not like some twice a year vacation divers that worships their PADI OW instructor.

5.) I evaluate all my gear on it's face, not based on what the big angencies tell me.

6.) I don't like to listen to people that are PAID to tote the party line. As you point out, you are paid to carry a snorkel, it's not your choice, you didn't do any critical thinking. Start paying me and I'll carry one too (I'll even post some junk about logic to cover up a weak argument).

BigboyDan:
There are more than several posters on this thread who have offered personal examples of purposeful uses for the snorkel by divers - there ARE, therefore, purposeful uses for the snorkel by divers.

That'd be a good response if you had claimed that there were purposeful uses for the snorkel by divers. But, unfortunately, what you claimed was:

Most who don't carry a snorkel simply do not understand its use - and of course, are proud of it.

The fact that there are purposeful uses of a snorkel, does not imply that those who choose not to use a snorkel are ignorant of those uses. They choose not to. You'd have to show that choosing not to implies ignorance, but instead you merely assert that.

Guess again.

BigJetDriver69:
P.S.--Just as an aside, your "Mr. Smith" avatar is nice, but rather---(I hate to say it.)----common. Your "Cuppa Joe", on the other hand was outstanding, and quite unique. Just one GI's opinion, for what it's worth.

Yeah, I got tired of the old one though.

I'll get tired of Agent Smith pretty quick, but it made me chuckle...

I considered last night doing a Shaka-Zulu of movie-related images, but I don't think I want to work that hard...

lamont:
I considered last night doing a Shaka-Zulu of movie-related images, but I don't think I want to work that hard...

Lamont,

Yeah, ole Shaka has a collection images that could only be described as "Out-bloody-standing!" as the Brits would say!

Rob

Folks,

At the risk of beating on the deceased equine, I would like to again point out that I dive a re-breather. Diving those units, one learns a LOT about CO2, the creation of such, getting rid of same, and the dangers of too much of same.

I have noticed, during one dive in heavy current, the onset of hypercapnia (too much carbon dioxide) to the extent that I went on bail-out gas for a bit until I flushed it out of my system, and then slowed my pace.

I have never observed exhaustion brought about by CO2 build-up directly caused by dead spaces in my snorkel. Yes, I am ashamed that I must freely here confess that I do carry, and sometimes find useful, the dreaded and murderous---by some accounts--SNORK.

Again, I would posit that were the snorkel dangerous in this stated manner, we would find resorts literally littered with the cadavers of snorkelers murdered by the ferocious beasts!! :11:

Folks, I put it to you bluntly, IT JUST AIN'T SO!!!

Rob Davie :doctor:

lamont:
That'd be a good response if you had claimed that there were purposeful uses for the snorkel by divers. But, unfortunately, what you claimed was:

The fact that there are purposeful uses of a snorkel, does not imply that those who choose not to use a snorkel are ignorant of those uses. They choose not to. You'd have to show that choosing not to implies ignorance, but instead you merely assert that.

Guess again.

Two different posts, two different thoughts, to two different posters.

One may chose to not use a snorkel, in the same way that one may choose not to use seatbeats when driving.

Try again.

Long after the destruction of the universe, this argument will remain.

Out of curiosity, why does Laguna Beach have a snorkel bylaw?

People should take a pause and reread the first post from Pilot Fish. The question was "Do you dive with or without your snorkel attached and why?" Assuming he was referring to the snorkel being attached to the mask that is an easy question for anyone to answer. Why, would be a matter left to the individual to decide.

Discussing the merits of snorkel use or questioning the skills of people who either use a snorkel on the surface of wear one attached to their masks, while making an interesting and humorous thread are not really important to the original query. The usefulness of said device also has no bearings on whether you hook one to your mask or not.

The necessity of a snorkel during a dive is a moot point, as you cannot breathe from one at depth.
Using one on the surface should be a decision made according to conditions or comfort, and having it attached to your mask is again, personal preference.

So, to answer the original question: No, I do not attach a snorkel to my mask while diving. I carry one in my dry suit pocket when a snorkel is required by City ordinance ( Laguna Beach, CA) otherwise I leave it in my car. If conditions may dictate the use of one, I will bring it along for the dive, but again, in a pocket. If I need or want to deploy it I will tuck it under my mask strap until not needed, then it goes back in my pocket.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom