Do you dive with or without your snorkel attached and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
BigboyDan:
Vampires don't exist.

You know that, right?

Right?

(Seatbelts... are... worn... (required)... because... it... has... been... proven... that... they...save... lives... in... case... of... a... bad...wreck.)

since we're spelling out the obvious...

snorkels... are... not... a... piece... of... necessary... safety... equipment... they... are... more... like... garlic... than... seatbelts...

lamont:
since we're spelling out the obvious...

snorkels... are... not... a... piece... of... necessary... safety... equipment... they... are... more... like... garlic... than... seatbelts...

I am a Divemaster, I need to know how to use one; from one of the advanced training manuals:

The applicant for training shall successfully perform the following tests, or their equivalent, in the presence of the Diving Safety Officer, or an examiner approved by the Diving Safety Officer.

- Swim underwater without swim aids for a distance of 50 yards without surfacing.
- Swim 500 yards in less than 15 minutes without swim aids.
- Tread water for 30 minutes, including 2 minutes without the use of hands, without swim aids.
- Without the use of swim aids, transport another person of equal size a distance of 50 yards in the water.

The following tasks require the use of mask, fins and snorkel:

- Snorkel 100 yards, non stop, using no hands and breathing from snorkel.
- Survival swim of five minutes while removing and replacing in turn, mask, snorkel, fins, and weight belt (if worn).
- Underwater swim of 50 yards on one breath, no push off or dive.
- Underwater swim of 150 yards, taking no more than three breaths during swim. Breaths should be taken through the snorkel using proper snorkel clearing techniques.
- Recover a ten pound object from a depth of at least ten feet and transport it 30 feet.
- Bring a diver simulating unconsciousness to the surface from a depth of ten to fifteen feet of water.
- Transport a diver of equal size 50 yards on the surface while simulating in-water rescue breathing.
- During the above tests demonstrate "good" individual watermanship.

The snorkel, and other life-safety devices, are not only about you, lamont...

BigboyDan:
I am a Divemaster, I need to know how to use one; from one of the advanced training manuals:

- Snorkel 100 yards, non stop, using no hands and breathing from snorkel.
- Survival swim of five minutes while removing and replacing in turn, mask, snorkel, fins, and weight belt (if worn).

these are the only items i saw that involved using a snorkel. either one could be
done without a snorkel. in fact, i have swam over 100 yards using no hands
and not having to use a snorkel.

and if i were helping someone else, my face wouldn't be burried in the water.
i'd be on my side or back swimming anyway.

and did i read that right... you do a 50 yard breath-hold swim?

now, THAT is impressive.

as to the question:

i never use a snorkel. i just don't need it.

BigboyDan:
Yes, in open ocean diving it's a boat requirement. For all the reasons that one is taught to use a snorkel. Try diving on most boats without a computer... every safety device is implemented....
Wait... Car seat belts are a requirement for boat diving?
I dive on boats quite a bit and have never used a seat belt, rr a snorkle, or a computer for that matter.

Rick Inman:
Elephants actually do use snorkels.
Indeed!

indian-elephant-safari.jpg

OK, lamont. The above text comes from the US Navy Diving Manual.

(I'm still new to this board, but I have noticed a discernable difference in dive attitudes, knowledge, and practices between Northern latitude divers and Southern latitude divers. Wonder why?)

BigboyDan:
(I'm still new to this board, but I have noticed a discernable difference in dive attitudes, knowledge, and practices between Northern latitude divers and Southern attitude divers. Wonder why?)

like what? and i'd be interested in hearing your explanation.

ok... i guess i'm asking you what the difference is

what difference do you see between Northern and Southern divers?

and since you said "wonder why" i thought maybe you had an opinion
as to why that was

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom