Do you dive with or without your snorkel attached and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
H2Andy:
i letealoan deefult unce, now thems bankers got my Chevy

No prob dude, juz play some country music backwords and you'll get that chevy back.
But do be carefull you may get back the ex-wife and the dog too!

BigboyDan:
Here's the boat rules for the live-aboards that I DM for in the Summers; pdf file:

http://www.gulf-diving.com/faq.pdf

In addition to the two DMs that work for the boat, each of the other three (dive shop provided) dive/team leaders are also DMs, that's five DMs for 30 divers; 1 DM for each six diver team.

Who wants to dive with a DM anyways - are we talking students here, or "trust me dives"?

The attitute difference isn't a north-south thing (some of the most squared divers in the world swim in FL's caves), it's between serious divers and tourist/vacation divers that can hardly swim. If it's your job to hold hands with some couple who have been certified for 10 years and have 15 dives each, good for you, but if you come here and start posting about how a computer is a piece of saftey, expect people to call you out on it. There are lots of good DMs out there, there are also some that dive with students and newbies all day and as result think they know it all.

actually... i was thinking back to the day i decided to stop using a snorkel, and it
was because the currents here are rather strong, and they would yank the snorkel
back and forth and sometimes would flood my mask.

after getting cold water up my sinuses one too many times, i just decided to leave
the snorkel behind.

i haven't missed it in over two years.

dlndavid:
Andy, is that a snorkel in your avatar?

why, no... i'm just happy to see you!

:11:

H2Andy:
why, no... i'm just happy to see you!

:11:
LOL,
Didn't see that...coming

funkyspelunker:
I hate that darn thing banging my head while I'm diving, I leave the snorkel in the hotel room (I still bring it along on the trip for, well, snorkeling).
You haven't watched open water...they all use'm diving. :wink:

rje634:
I hate wearing a snorkel while I'm diving, it's always getting in the way.
I use the Aqua Lung rubber roll up snorkel and keep in my BC pocket in case I ever need it, Works OK as a snorkel and is compact..

There are so many pros and cons to the use of a snorkel. I have been on calm dives that make it easy to surface swim with a snorkel while waiting for our group of divers to meet at the descent line. Other dives in tha Atlantic I wouldn't even consider taking my reg out of my mouth due the swells. Times like that I even thought about how useless it can be at times. Moving around a wreck I sometimes think about how I listened to more advanced Tech divers talk about how snorkels risk entanglement and increase drag under water, while at the same time they carry a folding snorkel. They would say that if they ever were in a situation that needed it they would have it. They just didn't like it hanging off the side of their mask if its non-essential for them.
Do what you feel comfortable with. In the end every diver takes responsibility for their own actions. So have fun and dive safe!

rje634 do you ever have a problem purging the aqua lung rubber roll up snorkel? Its seems more compact and easier to stow in a pocket than a collapsing/folding snorkel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom