Do you dive with or without your snorkel attached and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
ZAquaman:
That's why I like my snorkel. Oh, and who wants to do a surface swim on their back when they could be watching the show down below?

most places i dive you can't see the bottom 90% of the time..what are you looking at then?

A Snorkel has it's place, it's called snorkelling, if you can't use your reg instead for the brief time you'd use a snorkel then you have more to concern you than whether or not you need a snorkel, like gas management

I have one, however I don't wear it. If I was going to a shore dive, or any dive involving a long surface swim, I would dust it off and clip it on.

More often then not a snorkle can cause your mask to leak and be a bother.

However, to each his own. If you like to wear your snorkle, go right ahead.

Robert Phillips:
Is this another DM requirement on the boats you work on?

Yes, in open ocean diving it's a boat requirement. For all the reasons that one is taught to use a snorkel. Try diving on most boats without a computer... every safety device is implemented....

BigboyDan:
Yes, in open ocean diving it's a boat requirement. For all the reasons that one is taught to use a snorkel. Try diving on most boats without a computer... every safety device is implemented....

This training mentality is taught early on. I bailed on taking a DM course because I was told my BP/W "scares" the new students and I'd have to buy a shop BC and maybe split fins "as you should have gear the shop uses". I'm sure they would have made me wear a snorkel too :eyebrow:

DM is a job. Jobs have rules. When on my own I use all kinds of equipment. By the way, BP/Ws are nothing new, it was the standard in the 1970s. Scubapro, Dacor, Farallon, all made them. Go look at eBay.

Do you wear a seatbelt because it's the law, or... just in case?

BigboyDan:
Maybe if you take a snorkel with you in your car, and the bridge collapses and your car (with you in it) goes plunging into the raging waters, and in the fall your seatbelt clasp gets locked shut so you can't get free, and then the car sinks, but a pocket of air stays trapped inside near the roof of your car just out of reach, then you can whip out your snorkel and breath from the air pocket until help arrives.
By all means, take a snorkel in your car... just in case. :wink:

BigboyDan:
DM is a job. Jobs have rules. When on my own I use all kinds of equipment. By the way, BP/Ws are nothing new, it was the standard in the 1970s. Scubapro, Dacor, Farallon, all made them. Go look at eBay.

Do you typically wear garlic to ward off vampires ... just in case?

Rick Inman:
Maybe if you take a snorkel with you in your car, and the bridge collapses and your car (with you in it) goes plunging into the raging waters, and in the fall your seatbelt clasp gets locked shut so you can't get free, and then the car sinks, but a pocket of air stays trapped inside near the roof of your car just out of reach, then you can whip out your snorkel and breath from the air pocket until help arrives.
By all means, take a snorkel in your car... just in case. :wink:

Thanks for clearing that up Rick. I was beginning wonder why all these people who would never use a snorkel on a dive but say they keep them in their car, now I know why.
Thanks buddy. :snorkel:

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom