Do You Dive With GPS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have an ACR Global Fix EPIRB on my boat...... Never leave shore without it!

For diving from my boat or a charter.......or any shore dive with a risk conditions that make it difficult to get back to shore, my choice is the Nautilus Lifeline (the older model with the incorporated VHF radio).

It would be really nice if the ACR folks would make an option of their smaller PLB's with a housing that can be taken to depth....

LIQOcRz.jpg

khMN15G.jpg

Not to be a pain in the a.. but the location of your EPIRB makes it non existing more or less.

An EPIRB should be free floating and preferably via a HRU, and anyway stationed outside free to float up without any covers.

At least that's the case for vessels trading under the SOLAS regulations. If its not the case for you classification organisation I would highly recommend looking into a spot in the open.
I you vessel is sinking going back inside to get your EPIRB is not an option.

Epirb 1.jpg

Yes, its covered but the split pin is connected to the HRU. When the vessels submerges 3m under water the HRU activates, cuts the pin and the cover will fall off and the EPIRB will float free and switch itself on by means of water contacts.

Epirb 2.jpg

An EPIRB was activated several miles offshore. Coast Guard sent out a helicopter and quickly located the boaters. IIRC, it was around 30 minutes from signal received to boaters found.

This is not necessarily an added speed due to the GPS. A SOLAS approved EPIRB will also transmit on the 121.5Mhz band as a homing signal. Especially planes and helicopters are equipped with these receivers

It will become better and better, and "theoretical" safer and safer. Anyway safety is getting cheaper and cheaper and more easily available.
The EPIRB shown in the pictures (made this morning on board of the vessel I'm working on) is about 500 Euro, fully certified, set up, installed with the proper MMSI data etc.
It's cheaper at the moment to buy a complete new one than to replace the battery pack after the exp. date.
Changing the battery takes about 10min but the system should be checked again by a warranted Radio Surveyor and Class should stamp the new Certificate as well.

Happy diving.
Bas

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom