Do You Dive With GPS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SubNeo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I was skimming Facebook and saw a post about a boat capsize, and the captain mentioned that if he had the gps coords of the crash site, he could attempt recovery dives to find lost equipment. It got me thinking; nowadays it seems like all of the new "smartwatch/diving computers" boast GPS features. I know GPS doesn't work underwater, but do these newer computers record your lat/long at the surface?

Or to the other type of GPS (the handheld ones or the one that looks like a lever with 2 buttons), do people carry them when diving today if not in place or (or with) a GPS computer? I do a lot of shore diving to save money right now, and I almost wonder if weighing out having a GPS or signaling device could be useful if God forbid something happened (I'm usually at most 300-400 yards from shore)???

A decent dive boat should have an EPIRB system that will send the coordinates automatically.

There are similar devices (PLB, etc.) available for individual divers. We have had many threads on those devices.

A decent dive boat should have an EPIRB system that will send the coordinates automatically.

There are similar devices (PLB, etc.) available for individual divers. We have had many threads on those devices.
Pretty sure it’s required for any commercial vessel traveling in/ registered in US waters.
@Tracy knows the actual rule, he owns a boat.

As far as personal locators, there’s the one made by Nautlis.
There’s some watches out there that also claim to be PLB’s not sure if they’re scuba rated

Irrelevant disregard

Yep. Several GPS devices on the boat, and with me.

On the boat:
EPIRB
GPS plotter
VHF Radio linked to the plotter (can send coordinates)
Several phones

On me:
Nautilus Lifeline (VHF w/GPS)
Garmin Descent

The Garmin logs starting and ending coordinates with each dive.

For you, a PLB in a dive housing wouldn’t be a bad idea. Another option might be an InReach. The Garmin computers can connect with it to send messages.

A standard Solas approved Epirb does not have a GPS input.
Its position is determined by the doppler shift of the frequency measured by the receiving satellite.

The circular area of probable location is about 3NM.
This is nice to have in case of emergency to give the MRCC a position to work with towards the rescue units nothing extra.

Kind regards,
Bas

A standard Solas approved Epirb does not have a GPS input.
Its position is determined by the doppler shift of the frequency measured by the receiving satellite.
Technically, true. However, the non-GPS enabled EPIRBs appear to be a dying breed. I just looked through the ACR listing and didn't see anything that don't have GPS. Not saying there aren't others, but if buying one today, there is pretty much no reason to buy a non-GPS EPIRB.

The original EPIRBs relied solely on triangulation to get a location, which requires time to work out. The newer EPIRBs send the location along with the signal. Triangulation still works with these models if needed.

I dive with the Garmin mk2 and depending on where I dive, my mini inReach as well. The Garmin seems fairly accurate on marking entry and exit locations. The mini to me is amazing and I also use it for going into the mountains. When I send a text I can include my location as well as an option to provide web links with full time live tracking when turned on.

gps.PNG

Entry-exit.PNG

I dive with the Garmin mk2 and depending on where I dive, my mini inReach as well. The Garmin seems fairly accurate on marking entry and exit locations. The mini to me is amazing and I also use it for going into the mountains. When I send a text I can include my location as well as an option to provide web links with full time live tracking when turned on.

View attachment 748160
View attachment 748161
The Descent would be more appealing if it was half it's cost :p

Not exactly the same, but I use GPS a lot for finding and marking dive sites, mostly wrecks. Usually I have a set of coordinates from one source or another and will drop marker flags and then run the side scan over it to verify location.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom