Do You Dive With GPS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TG6 Olympus Camera has GPS but I turn it off as it's a battery drain.

The Descent would be more appealing if it was half it's cost :p
Sure cheaper is always nice but I like all the functionality so I bought one on release. If you shop around you can get it for similar price for a combo as the Teric and tx, maybe less.

I'm hopeful the mk3 will be available in a few months.

I started recording my dive site entry points in my logbook since July this year. I use SUUNTO Ambit3. It’s waterproof down to 100m depth. I put it on my left wrist and my dive computer (Shearwater Teric) on my right wrist.

4266F42C-DFF3-4896-887C-8FF97439CC6F.jpeg

In case of lost at sea situation, I carry PLB1 and Nautilus Marine Rescue GPS in my BCD waist pocket.

5800B289-EB50-41B3-8A71-20C19157BE7F.jpeg

Sure cheaper is always nice but I like all the functionality so I bought one on release. If you shop around you can get it for similar price for a combo as the Teric and tx, maybe less.

I'm hopeful the mk3 will be available in a few months.
I'm keeping an eye on Garmin rn, they seem to be innovating quite a lot. I'm happy with my Peregrine and don't intend to replace it anyways lol

I'm old school. My global positioning system is a compass.

The Descent would be more appealing if it was half it's cost :p
The G1 is roughly half the cost of the MK2 line. Monochrome screen, but same capabilities otherwise.

Technically, true. However, the non-GPS enabled EPIRBs appear to be a dying breed. I just looked through the ACR listing and didn't see anything that don't have GPS. Not saying there aren't others, but if buying one today, there is pretty much no reason to buy a non-GPS EPIRB.

The original EPIRBs relied solely on triangulation to get a location, which requires time to work out. The newer EPIRBs send the location along with the signal. Triangulation still works with these models if needed.

Oke, maybe times are changing as I did not see a GPS EPIRB in the 25y I'm at sea on commercial ocean going tankers.
Till recently you needed a power feed or constant GPS feed towards the unit. Going from "dead" to "alive" and a proper GPS fix could take a lot of time without a pre defined position.

Oke, maybe times are changing as I did not see a GPS EPIRB in the 25y I'm at sea on commercial ocean going tankers.
Till recently you needed a power feed or constant GPS feed towards the unit. Going from "dead" to "alive" and a proper GPS fix could take a lot of time without a pre defined position.
LOL. I spent a lot of time on research ships without GPS also. But that was then, not now.
By the way, the positioning from satellite doppler requires at least two satellites passing, otherwise you just get a line of position and could be anywhere along that line; you need two crossing lines to get a fix. The doppler calculation is quite fast, but you have to wait for the second satellite to pass; that us what could take some time.

Yep. Definitely a lot simpler now. Most (if not all) EPIRBs today are GPS enabled and simple to use. They begin broadcasting once out of the bracket and in the water, or can be manually activated.

The signal contains the position is quite fast, but the old method can still be used if the position information is missing or garbled. There was a brief story I read a few years back. An EPIRB was activated several miles offshore. Coast Guard sent out a helicopter and quickly located the boaters. IIRC, it was around 30 minutes from signal received to boaters found.

There really is no reason for boats going offshore to not have an EPIRB on board. They cost less than a tank of gas on my boat. We’d certainly hear a lot less missing boater stories if EPIRBs were on board.

I have an ACR Global Fix EPIRB on my boat...... Never leave shore without it!

For diving from my boat or a charter.......or any shore dive with a risk conditions that make it difficult to get back to shore, my choice is the Nautilus Lifeline (the older model with the incorporated VHF radio).

It would be really nice if the ACR folks would make an option of their smaller PLB's with a housing that can be taken to depth....

LIQOcRz.jpg

khMN15G.jpg

Back
Top Bottom