Do you dive locally?

Do you primarily dive locally, or at vacation locations?

• All of my dives are on vacation.

Votes: 14 5.2%
  • Most of my dives are done on vacation, but some are local.

Votes: 29 10.9%
  • Most of my dives are local, but some are done on vacation.

Votes: 185 69.3%
  • All of my dives are local dives.

Votes: 37 13.9%
  • I am a commercial diver - I dive where I live - underwater.

Votes: 2 0.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I never said I was using significant figure rules when I posted it initially and was actually going for more precision instead.

I know that it is always proper to use good calculating practices, but I wonder if it is proper to apply the significant figures rules to this case.

I have the feeling you keep very good count of your dives, I KNOW Walter is borderline OCD on ALL his counts of everything. So if his encyclopedia (to call what he keeps a dive log is just not right) shows that he dove X times that is the number of dive he dove not X-1 not even X-0.1, and for sure not X+1, that possibility is just not there.

So the accuracy is definitely there, a dive is a dive regardless of how long or short, how deep or shallow, once it qualifies as a dive that's it ...it equals one. So what would be the proper precision if there are no fractions of dives?

I can't use the answer whatever it is because I don't keep track of my dives, I do mostly local assuming the whole state where I live qualifies as local.

...a dive is a dive regardless of how long or short, how deep or shallow, once it qualifies as a dive that's it ...it equals one.

(Tongue in cheek): Is it a dive if I hold my breath in the bathtub? :)

My instructor told me it had to be at least 20 feet depth for 20 minutes to count as a dive...

I know that it is always proper to use good calculating practices, but I wonder if it is proper to apply the significant figures rules to this case.

I didn't think so :) But to each their own. Whatever works! It's best not to assume things though about others' methods, such as significant figures rules being applied.

I have the feeling you keep very good count of your dives,

Haha I do :) I am also OCD with dive logging.

a dive is a dive regardless of how long or short, how deep or shallow, once it qualifies as a dive that's it ...it equals one.

(Tongue in cheek): Is it a dive if I hold my breath in the bathtub? :)

My instructor told me it had to be at least 20 feet depth for 20 minutes to count as a dive...

I agree, the bathtub deal shouldn't count, but that brings another subject all together, I don't know if every one that keeps logs define a DIVE as your 20ft for 20 min?

Haha I do :) I am also OCD with dive logging.

I don't like all that counting for my rec dives, seems like regardless of how large is my number of dives it is never enough.

Like today for example I should be doing a local dive, looking out the window there is a blue sky with not much wind, seas as supposed to be decent but I'm not diving. Because I had it enduring cold water (not a fan of cold air either) instead I'm inside the tundra house with the heater on.

Just remember - studies show that 89% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

I have only dove locally once.
I've always considered the water too cold here, but after reading some of the posts
(including someone stating BC is one of their dream destinations) I think I am going to
have to begin researching the local sites.

There are a few local quarries around here; one open to the public, called Guppy Gulch, for a small entrance fee (about 25-30 minutes away), one open to friends of the owner (occassionally I can tag along but it's not for beginners, within 2 minutes of Guppy, called "Rockinghorse"), and once that we used to use for certification dives but the owner no longer lets anybody in because he built a house overlooking it and doesn't want people trashing the place (formerly "Oakhill" or "Whiteford" quarry).

For farther "local" diving we take trips to Bainbridge Sportmans Club (1 hour 45 minutes away) in PA for ADV. classes, and about once a month we'll go up to Dutch Springs (2 hours 15-30 minutes) for fun and sometimes an ADV. class.

I have also gone on a Megalodon tooth and Wreck trip to North Carolina.

Although I don't really count it, I did rent some tanks and a metal detector to look for my uncle's watch in 5 feet of water in a lake in Maine where we have a cabin (didn't find it but maybe this year I will)

Most of my dives are local. Last year was Twin Lake, Jasper, Cold Lake and Christina. As well as a couple beach water cleanups in the area. I will attend the same dive events this year as well as a course in Twin and up in Jasper. The diving here does have it'd drawbacks but it is better than not diving.
I do hope to make a trip down to dive the dam and townsite in Minnewanka, possibly this year if time permits.

I have only dove locally once.
I've always considered the water too cold here, but after reading some of the posts
(including someone stating BC is one of their dream destinations) I think I am going to
have to begin researching the local sites.
It is too cold - but with a dry suit the benefits are pretty spectacular.

Does Browning Wall count as local diving if you live in Vancouver :D

I am about 60 - 40 60% vacation on liveaboards and the like - 40 % somewhere in BC Canada. Part of that is the number of dives you can get to do diving 5 dives a day in the tropics. 3 is my maximum in cold water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom