Do you dive locally?

Do you primarily dive locally, or at vacation locations?

• All of my dives are on vacation.

Votes: 14 5.2%
  • Most of my dives are done on vacation, but some are local.

Votes: 29 10.9%
  • Most of my dives are local, but some are done on vacation.

Votes: 185 69.3%
  • All of my dives are local dives.

Votes: 37 13.9%
  • I am a commercial diver - I dive where I live - underwater.

Votes: 2 0.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Then might I suggest that your local dive percentage is 89%, not 88.65%? Just because your calculator says it is so doesn't mean the calculator is correct. :cool2:

I might suggest that you are not correct.

Actually he is correct ... look up "significant figures."

Actually he is correct ... look up "significant figures."

I never said I was using significant figure rules when I posted it initially and was actually going for more precision instead.

I might suggest that you are not correct.

I am often incorrect. However, your percent local dives, if I trust my calculator, is
88.650306748466257668711656441718...%. I am not questioning the number, I am questioning how many digits it is fair to include - what is representative of the level of certainty you have in that number? With 326 dives total, 37 of which are non-local, should you state 88.6503067% of your dives are local? 88.650%? Are you certain that you not once forgot to log a dive? Or that a single dive in which you ascended early to sort something out and descended again should not have been counted as two dives? If I am 6 feet tall, should I state my height to be 183 cm, or 182.88 cm?

I thought two was enough :)

It was - four was overkill. :wink:

My apologies, I misread your post as 'decimal places', not significant digits. Two decimal places :)
Four digits. Perfect!

My apologies, I misread your post as 'decimal places', not significant digits. Two decimal places :)
Four digits. Perfect!

Apologies? Bah! This has been fun. I just hope the OP isn't upset about the thread being hijacked. ...

Apologies? Bah! This has been fun. I just hope the OP isn't upset about the thread being hijacked. ...

Yes, woops! Basically my approach to maths is to use whatever my calculator says, and then round to whatever digit I feel like on the day. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom