Review Diving the Avelo System

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jetpack presales at $3000 were fulfilled. The Scuba Show Los Angeles price is now $3500 through Monday.
1717258539745.png

I wouldn't say they had a HUGE presence .... from what I remember they had a single booth, which is about the smallest presence you had have. Looks like this have a single booth again this year.

I did get the impression they are (or were) shopping the system to the major manufacturers and I assume that is (or was) their plan to recoup their investment.
They had a large booth. Had many boothworkers and paid for multiple presentation times on the floor. They sponsored or co-sponsored quite a few events. Trust me, this aint cheap.

That's CCR-level pricing. I'd go that route before I'd get an Avelo. For an experienced diver who already has all my gear and skills dialed in, I just don't see the point. For a new diver who doesn't want to learn buoyancy skills, are they really going to pay that? Perhaps this is destined to be almost exclusively a rental unit, but the need for the certification training will limit that.
Exactly. I hold by my earlier opinion that Avelo may be willing to sell to individuals, but the pricing means that the vast majority will be sold to businesses.

Exactly. I hold by my earlier opinion that Avelo may be willing to sell to individuals, but the pricing means that the vast majority will be sold to businesses.
From November 2022:
We discussed this a bunch last year. IMO, at best this is going to end up filling the same sort of niche as the Segway. Something for vacation divers to try out at popular dive destinations. And maybe pay an upcharge for renting them during their stay.

Since you are basically bundling an expensive BCD with an expensive tank, it's not going to work for anyone who normally does multi-tank trips.

The only thing that's changed is we've learned you can unbundle the expensive BCD from the expensive tank.

So.... After the revealing of the price my jaw almost hit the floor.

Almost $6000 AUD just for the jetpack!!!...... They have just lost most of the market they are trying to target. i imagine the Hydro Tank will be around the $3000 AUD mark.

Granted theres a lot OF R&D cost that needs to be recovered. but theres no way theres over $2500 of parts in that system..... I could cnc the backplate alone for $150 of alloy.

Man my whole Scuba setup that i use now is less than $3500. Even for a bussiness to purchase for their Rec dives, roughly over 10k AUD per system (Jetpack, 2x Tanks, Regs, Computer). at roughly $60 per dive. thats still 166+ dives per system before it pays off, and that still limited to the people that have completed the RAD

But, I do imagine once some OEMs adopt the system it will bring the pricing down. Or someone that can manufacturer the system cheaper.

So.... After the revealing of the price my jaw almost hit the floor.

Almost $6000 AUD just for the jetpack!!!...... They have just lost most of the market they are trying to target. i imagine the Hydro Tank will be around the $3000 AUD mark.

Granted theres a lot OF R&D cost that needs to be recovered. but theres no way theres over $2500 of parts in that system..... I could cnc the backplate alone for $150 of alloy.

Man my whole Scuba setup that i use now is less than $3500. Even for a bussiness to purchase for their Rec dives, roughly over 10k AUD per system (Jetpack, 2x Tanks, Regs, Computer). at roughly $60 per dive. thats still 166+ dives per system before it pays off, and that still limited to the people that have completed the RAD

But, I do imagine once some OEMs adopt the system it will bring the pricing down. Or someone that can manufacturer the system cheaper.
It is a phenomenal price for such a small benefit, especially using complex over-engineered technology.

Compared with 'standard' dive kit...

Pro:
  • relatively constant buoyancy

Cons:
  • slow battery operated pump
  • small variation in buoyancy
  • proprietary carbon fibre cylinder and valves
  • (fragile 300 bar carbon fibre cylinder - @Still Kicking)
  • complex technology
  • 300 bar gas required -- 50% greater than most recreational dive shops provide (for ali80s)
  • slow fills to limit heat on carbon wrapped cylinder and bladder
  • buoyancy training required to ensure correct weighting for user
  • reliance on correct weighting on every dive: overweighting is a serious danger
  • additional operator training
  • limited pressure testing facilities to handle carbon fibre cylinders and proprietary equipment
  • no additional surface buoyancy
  • capital cost
  • support availability
  • flying rules (removal of cylinder valve)
  • travel weight -- bring own cylinder and battery
  • one dive only unless you bring two cylinders
Have I missed anything?

The Avelo costs about the same as a Mares Horzon semi-closed "recreational" rebreather.

The Avelo costs about the same as a Mares Horzon semi-closed "recreational" rebreather.
And you get more bottom time, less weight, more moist air and many fewer bubbles with the rebreather.

Even so, isn't it pretty much a commercial flop?

Back
Top Bottom