Review Diving the Avelo System

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I work in the resort industry, and we have a marine park here on the island. One of the biggest problems I see every day is people diving without proper training or understanding of buoyancy control. Often, in their attempts to take pictures, they end up damaging the ocean floor or coral that has taken years to grow. From what I've learned so far about the new Avelo dive system, it addresses and eliminates these issues. This technology is not just about enhancing the diving experience for individuals; it's also about preserving and protecting the ocean. Too many divers think they can dive properly, but without the right skills and tools, they can cause significant harm to marine ecosystems.
Read the process again.

First, I'm not saying Avelo will become mainstream however here's some points......

* Upgrade path to tech, deep, multiple bottles, rebreathers has been mentioned by a small worldwide group of divers for oh, DECADES. and it hasn't become mainstream. I don't think rebreathers will EVER become "mainstream" due to the same points people are pissing on the Avelo product.

* 90+% of people diving regularly or considering diving want "Into the Blue" movie experiences. Clear warm water wearing less crap and seeing "the pretty fishes" as all my long time Great Lakes cold water friends piss on that type of diving LOL......I did those cold deep dives as a young person but not since my 40s have found it "fun". Maybe wearing a drysuit for union wage commercial diving it was worth it, but not for "fun" (again, my personal choice, to each his own.)

* The Avelo set up means less crap to swim around with underwater (yes, that's what you're doing as "sport diver") meaning more enjoyment and "perceived adventure" or whatever. Why do think there are thousands (tens or hundreds of thousands more?) snorkelers worldwide than divers?

Because it's EASY......

* OSEA is 1000% correct o his observations. I host dive trips and see many, many divers who "think" their buoyancy is better than they actually are. Not saying training and more practice couldn't improve their skills but this is the current (and future) state of "sport diving". Anything to improve the experience easily might be a step in teh right direction is all.

* People will drop $1K or more for a cell phone. They also wouldn't blink at $3K for a "less is more" scuba rig or get trained on it and go where it's offered. The scale of embedding it more places is a challenge but who knows?

I could think of many many reasons diving isn't growing....The complexity of modern gear (liability factors primarily in the USA likely) plus manufacturers making something as wonderful and useful as the dive computer more complex than necessary is one I see all the time.

Do you know how FEW active divers need 3 gasses really, WTF???? People can't even set a simple NITROX setting on a computer they've owned for YEARS. I see it all the time.......Or know what the instrument is telling them on too fast an ascent rate, too deep, set to wrong altitude and locks them out with deco required they need to blow off, etc. I've seen these and more mostly due to unnecessary complication of the devices. Again, W-T-F :(

Complex gear and skill factors contribute to people walking away and buy a bicycle, taking up PickleBall or whatever.....

Strapping on 4 tanks, diapers or a pee valve, 1-2 hour set up to be sure to not kill yourself for short bottom time? Sure doesn't appeal to the masses in my opinion.....

Will Avelo change the sport diving community? I don't know but after 55 years diving (3 Asia trips in the last 6 months at almost 71 years old) I think it's a step in the right direction.

Just one old guy's opinion and my thoughts aren't meant to diss anyone's diving activity or gear choices :)

David Haas

I work in the resort industry, and we have a marine park here on the island. One of the biggest problems I see every day is people diving without proper training or understanding of buoyancy control. Often, in their attempts to take pictures, they end up damaging the ocean floor or coral that has taken years to grow. From what I've learned so far about the new Avelo dive system, it addresses and eliminates these issues. This technology is not just about enhancing the diving experience for individuals; it's also about preserving and protecting the ocean. Too many divers think they can dive properly, but without the right skills and tools, they can cause significant harm to marine ecosystems.
I’ve seen lot’s of “experienced” divers with cameras lying on the reef or getting too close and kicking something in pursuit of the “perfect” pic - so it’s no always the newbies!

It is a phenomenal price for such a small benefit, especially using complex over-engineered technology.

Compared with 'standard' dive kit...

Pro:
  • relatively constant buoyancy

Cons:
  • slow battery operated pump
  • small variation in buoyancy
  • proprietary carbon fibre cylinder and valves
  • (fragile 300 bar carbon fibre cylinder - @Still Kicking)
  • complex technology
  • 300 bar gas required -- 50% greater than most recreational dive shops provide (for ali80s)
  • slow fills to limit heat on carbon wrapped cylinder and bladder
  • buoyancy training required to ensure correct weighting for user
  • reliance on correct weighting on every dive: overweighting is a serious danger
  • additional operator training
  • limited pressure testing facilities to handle carbon fibre cylinders and proprietary equipment
  • no additional surface buoyancy
  • capital cost
  • support availability
  • flying rules (removal of cylinder valve)
  • travel weight -- bring own cylinder and battery
  • one dive only unless you bring two cylinders
Have I missed anything?

I think there's some confusion here. There's certainly no requirement to fill the tank to 300 bar. You fill the tank to the usual pressure, around 200 bar or a little more. Of course, if you then run the pump while the tank is still mostly full, the gas pressure will increase, so it's necessary that the regulator be able to handle up to 300 bar. That may be why the notion of 300 bar was mentioned. The tank filling process is completely standard.

I think the idea is: either you travel to someplace which has a shop with the hydrotank to rent, or if you are going off the beaten path, you of course have to bring everything. This is also the case for standard scuba, the difference is there are currently many more shops prepared to rent standard tanks. We will have to see how things evolve. If the world gets to a point where any large enough shop that rents aluminum tanks also rents avelo tanks, then 3 or 4 of these cons disappear, so they aren't intrinsically cons of the technology, they are cons of the level of widespread adoption (or lack thereof).

What a load of nonsense. This will appeal mostly to the entitled rich kids (whatever their age) who think the world belongs to them. They will pay exactly as much attention to the bottom while selfie-sticking their dives on Avelo as they do right now.

Those who actually care about buoyancy control can easily address the issue with a buoyancy course and proper weighting. And this will cost less than just the Avelo course, nevermind the extra thousands for the Avelo gear.

First, I'm not saying Avelo will become mainstream however here's some points......

* Upgrade path to tech, deep, multiple bottles, rebreathers has been mentioned by a small worldwide group of divers for oh, DECADES.....And it hasn't become mainstream. I don't think rebreathers will EVER become "mainstream" due to the same thing people are pissing on the Avelo product.

* 90+% of people diving regularly or considering diving want "Into the Blue" movie experiences. Clear warm water wearing less crap and seeing "the pretty fishes" as all my long time Great Lakes cold water friends piss on, LOL......I did those cold deep dives as a young person but not since my 40s have found it "fun".

* Avelo set up means less crap to swim around with underwater (yes, that's what you're doing as "sport diver") meaning more enjoyment and "perceived adventure" or whatever. Why do think there are thousands (tens of thousands?) more snorkelers worldwide than divers? Because it's EASY......

* OSEA is 1000% correct o his observations. I host dive trips and see many, many divers who "think" their buoyancy is better than they actually are. Not saying training and more practice couldn't improve their skills but this is the current (and future) state of "sport diving".

* People who will drop $1K or more for a cell phone wouldn't blink at $3K for a "less is more" rig.....Or simply get trained on it and go to where it's offered. Maybe scale of getting it at more places is a challenge but who knows?

I could think of more reasons diving isn't growing but the complexity of modern gear (some blame due to liability factors primarily in the USA) plus manufacturers making something as wonderful and useful as the revolutionary dive computer more complex than necessary.

Do you know how FEW active divers need 3 gasses really, WTF????

All the more complex factors contribute to people going and buying a bicycle, or taking up PickleBall or whatever.....Strapping on 4 tanks, diapers or a pee valve, 1-2 hour set up to be sure to not kill yourself for short bottom time? Sure doesn't appeal to the masses in may opinion.

Will Avelo change the sport diving community? I don't know.....

But after 55 years diving (3 Asia trips in the last 6 months at almost 71 years old I think it's a step in the right direction.

Just one old guy's opinion and my thoughts aren't meant to diss anyone's diving activity or gear choices :)

David Haas
Less crap meaning my 18lb wing as the wing seems to be the only thing the Avelo system drops? That is hardly adding any meaningful bulk or extra effort to “swim around” with.

Interesting tech, but I see zero benefit for me and lots of complications/limitations to try to use in many of the places I’ve dived.

On other big issue for me is the need to swim down neutrally buoyant. I have some trouble equalizing head down, so usually drop feet first and then flare out with head tilted up on descent. So good to be a bit negative - especially when in stronger currents where I can just instantly dump my wing at the surface and drop quickly.

My comments aren't to push anyone to throw away their current gear, diving style or whatever.

Just pointing out factors people don't think about.

My wife and I barely touch our lightweight discontinued Aqualung ZUMA BCD down to 80', a self imposed depth in worldwide oceans.

OK, I did go to 129' in Raja last November for a silly picture of the big school of yellow Sweetlips that's been shot hundreds to thousands of times. In a 2.5mm wet suit maybe tapped my inflator once....

So streamlining compared to a typical tropical rig may not be as advantageous but the Avelo harness Jetpack sure looks even simpler for single tank diving.

Dive whatever you want.

I plan to until I hang up my fins and maybe just go snorkel :)

DH

* Avelo set up means less crap to swim around with underwater (yes, that's what you're doing as "sport diver") meaning more enjoyment and "perceived adventure" or whatever..
No it doesn't. A backplate and compact wing is less crap to swim around with than Avelo with its battery, pump and oversize tank. It weighs less with the same air (HP80) and about the same with more air (HP100). A decent setup costs under $500 and no special training is required.

One of the biggest problems I see every day is people diving without proper training or understanding of buoyancy control.
I suspect if they had additional training where proper weighting and neutral buoyancy was the priority, they would improve. Whether that's on Avelo or traditional equipment seems a bit immaterial.

Back
Top Bottom