Review Diving the Avelo System

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I received an update email from Avelo today. The retail price of a Jetpack with 2 batteries will be $3999. There is a presale price of $3000 in conjuction with the Scuba Show Los Angeles. As posted above, the Avelo Mode will be available for the Shearwater Teric on June 17. The unlock code will cost $99.
1717247445119.png

1717247490583.png

I received an update email from Avelo today. The retail price of a Jetpack with 2 batteries will be $3999. There is a presale price of $3000 in conjuction with the Scuba Show Los Angeles. As posted above, the Avelo Mode will be available for the Shearwater Teric on June 17. The unlock code will cost $99.
View attachment 843906
View attachment 843907

Details (and a screenshot of Teric in Avalon mode) on the SW site:

AVELO MODE

View attachment 843906
View attachment 843907

Just so I am not misreading this, the Jetpack alone is $4K? Hydrotank is separate (or not for sale), plus the diver's regulator and an additional $99 upgrade for the diver's shearwater computer?

Lowwall, you are psychic!!!

Just so I am not misreading this, the Jetpack alone is $4K? Hydrotank is separate (or not for sale), plus the diver's regulator and an additional $99 upgrade for the diver's shearwater computer?

Better move fast. Discount price not for long.

They had a HUGE presence at DEMA. They spent a fortune at the show. This guy has some big backers or maybe he’s a billionaire self-funding a passion. IMO there’s no way he’s recouping the R&D, marketing and start-up costs in the medium term, if ever. The potential market is just a tiny fragment of a small slice of a declining market.
I wouldn't say they had a HUGE presence .... from what I remember they had a single booth, which is about the smallest presence you can have. Looks like they have a single booth again this year.

I did get the impression they are (or were) shopping the system to the major manufacturers and I assume that is (or was) their plan to recoup their investment.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-06-01 at 6.58.23 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-06-01 at 6.58.23 AM.png
    270.3 KB · Views: 19
I received an update email from Avelo today. The retail price of a Jetpack with 2 batteries will be $3999. There is a presale price of $3000 in conjuction with the Scuba Show Los Angeles.

That's CCR-level pricing. I'd go that route before I'd get an Avelo. For an experienced diver who already has all my gear and skills dialed in, I just don't see the point. For a new diver who doesn't want to learn buoyancy skills, are they really going to pay that? Perhaps this is destined to be almost exclusively a rental unit, but the need for the certification training will limit that.

While the technology may be intriguing and a bit Jetson-like, I just can't see this becoming a big player in the scuba market. I may be eating my words in 5-10 years. If so, I will certainly admit it. I am not an early adopter of any technology (scuba, cars, IT), so I will sit on the sidelines and watch.

That's CCR-level pricing. I'd go that route before I'd get an Avelo.
yeah, and you need to take a $700 certification course too. That is rapidly approaching mod 1 CCR purchase (used) and training. Sure the training is more extensive/longer for CCR, but what you get is light years more.

It seems crazy, but we live in a world where in some zip/postal codes people think $6k is entry level for a bicycle for club rides and $10k for a week-long family skiing vacation is roughing it.

Those of us with a family and income of less than $250k a year are not the audience for this.

It seems crazy, but we live in a world where in some zip/postal codes people think $6k is entry level for a bicycle for club rides and $10k for a week-long family skiing vacation is roughing it.

Those of us with a family and income of less than $250k a year are not the audience for this.
But that "entry level" bike isn't running on proprietary rails only available in certain locations and you still need a $1k seat! :-0

Are they gearing this setup towards bulk sales to resorts? Is that the end goal...i.e. to provide gear to resorts on an annual contract basis including service and regular upgrades?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom