Review Diving the Avelo System

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Will be interesting to see how they price it. Would not expect it to be cheap!
Exactly. That will certainly tell who they expect to sell to. I don't expect it to be cheap either, which really is going to limit the market. Companies offering Avelo excursions would make sense. New divers struggling with buoyancy are probably not going to be buying one. Established divers that dive frequently are probably mostly not going to be buying either. So, while they may be willing to sell to individuals, I don't believe that will make up the bulk of sales.

In addition to the sell price, I'd be interested in knowing what happens after that. Servicing and qualification of the gear would need to be considered.

...And in Europe Avelo will not have any chance without CE.
From the Avelo website FAQ:
1717162855326.png

There is an Avelo Dive Center in Spain:
1717163098539.png

Will be interesting to see how they price it. Would not expect it to be cheap!

Exactly. That will certainly tell who they expect to sell to. I don't expect it to be cheap either, which really is going to limit the market.
I expect we will know how Avelo equipment is priced after this weekend.

Some scuba equipment is relatively expensive, there appears to be a market for it. The regulator is on sale, 15% off.
1717164185183.png

1717164205720.png

Anyone want to guess prices?

I'll start.

$2000 for a tank
$2000 for the "jetpack" which is what they call the backplate with harness, pump and battery.

Just wondering what battery powered pump would be able to put out 300 bar pressure to compress the internal bladder?

Anyone want to guess prices?

I'll start.

$2000 for a tank
$2000 for the "jetpack" which is what they call the backplate with harness, pump and battery.

Considering it wont come with a regulator and a top of the line BP/Wing/tank would run a diver about $1,200.00 to 1,500.00 (and I'm pricing Halcyon gear from EE), I cant believe the whole package would be no more than $2,000.00.

So, I say $2,000.00 total (without regulator)

$4K and you have to add a regulator? Way to close to a cheap CCRB.

If I read they are priced at $4K, I'll need a new keyboard!

Considering it wont come with a regulator and a top of the line BP/Wing/tank would run a diver about $1,200.00 to 1,500.00 (and I'm pricing Halcyon gear from EE), I cant believe the whole package would be no more than $2,000.00.

So, I say $2,000.00 total (without regulator)

$4K and you have to add a regulator? Way to close to a cheap CCRB.
Check the price of a CF-wrapped SCBA cylinder. Then add in the cost of two proprietary valves (one for gas and one for water) and the inner bladder plus assembly.

On one of these threads a couple of years ago, I predicted they would try to price it at or a small premium to a top of the line ScubaPro BCD plus a HP tank. That would put it closer to 2k, but I just don't see how they can get around the tank price.

Maybe they'll sell the jetpack near cost to drive demand and create a leasing program for dive shops on the cylinders. Some sections of the private equity world are happy with long term income.

Some sections of the private equity world are happy with long term income.
Given how much they are investing in this Rube Goldberg device, there MUST be a huge amount of PE or VC capital in this. I’d love to see the business plan.

Some scuba equipment is relatively expensive, there appears to be a market for it. The regulator is on sale, 15% off.
For sure. But a lot of that expensive equipment is fairly portable. Apart from my tanks, I could pack up everything and take with me on a plane for a trip. As the Avelo system is the tank, that's not quite so doable. Apart from the upfront cost, there is also the upkeep. Pumps, switches, etc. Then there is the hydro and inspection of the system. Not quite as straight forward as a standard system. Also, as I recall, there was a finite life with carbon fiber tanks. Not sure if the same applies here.

Will be interesting to see how they price it. The expensive gear you provided as examples also have less expensive counterparts available. I'm just not sure the individual diver that's in the target market for this is going to shell out a ton for it. We'll see.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom