Review Diving the Avelo System

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Check the price of a CF-wrapped SCBA cylinder. Then add in the cost of two proprietary valves (one for gas and one for water) and the inner bladder plus assembly.

On one of these threads a couple of years ago, I predicted they would try to price it at or a small premium to a top of the line ScubaPro BCD plus a HP tank. That would put it closer to 2k, but I just don't see how they can get around the tank price.

Maybe they'll sell the jetpack near cost to drive demand and create a leasing program for dive shops on the cylinders. Some sections of the private equity world are happy with long term income.
I dont disagree with your logic, I just cant believe, with a straight face, they would try to charge $4K for a "basic scuba package" without a regulator. That has no ability to be intergraded.

Someone could buy a Brownies for under $3K and their buoyancy would never change!

1717176435980.png

Hi @Belzelbub

Not that I am currently considering it, but if I were to invest in Avelo equipment, it would likely be just the Jetpack. That would allow me to size and accessorize it as I please. I already have a regulator set I could use. I believe the Avelo mode will be available for download to my Shearwater computer in the near future.

I would rely on Hydrotank rental from my operator, locally or when traveling. A not officially announced rumor has it that Avelo will be available in SE Florida in the relatively near future. Avelo is already available in Key Largo. My wife and I do a couple of weeks in Bonaire each year, that's where we did our Recreational Avelo Diver course last December. The number of Avelo Dive Centers is expanding, ultimate availability is to be determined.

Personally, I'm looking forward to announcements from the Los Angeles Scuba Show this weekend.

Will be interesting to see how they price it. Would not expect it to be cheap!

Anyone want to guess prices?

I'll start.

$2000 for a tank
$2000 for the "jetpack" which is what they call the backplate with harness, pump and battery.
Just like the price is right... I'll say $2001.
To me this endeavor sounds like a engineering grad school project, where the assignment is to design and build a twist on a new SCUBA system. Need not be economically feasible....

It appears that the Avelo Mode will be available for my Shearwater Teric beginning June 17

1717184579007.png

Given how much they are investing in this Rube Goldberg device, there MUST be a huge amount of PE or VC capital in this. I’d love to see the business plan.
How much did they pay Shearwater to include the Avelo advert in their Shearwater Cloud apppp? (It's in the config of data options)

Even the Revo RMS isn't in there (and Revo have sold a lot of them!)

How much did they pay Shearwater to include the Avelo advert in their Shearwater Cloud apppp? (It's in the config of data options)

Pretty shocking I agree for a technology that is virtually non-existent for the majority of us. It has me completely flummoxed. WTH??!!

Pretty shocking I agree for a technology that is virtually non-existent for the majority of us. It has me completely flummoxed. WTH??!!
I do not believe Avelo pays anyone anything to include them. When I finished my IE with Avelo last June the first thing I did while at the airport was to write an email to Shearwater letting them know they had a dealer who was also an Avelo Instructor. I ended up introducing the new Shearwater CEO to the CEO of Avelo. The Shearwater CEO soon flew to Maui to experience Avelo and the rest is history.

Now the reason I wrote Shearwater is because I love Shearwater computers and really don't like the Scubapro computers. The Scubapro G2 already had a beta Avelo Mode on it last June. I saw it and thought this would be soooo much better on a Teric.

So the take away here is that a lot of industry insiders think Avelo is not simply going to be a niche market. They believe Avelo represents the next evolution of Scuba. Most people are hesitant about it until they have the opportunity to dive it. I get it. I was too. What I will say is the koolaid tastes great. :)

I do not believe Avelo pays anyone anything to include them. When I finished my IE with Avelo last June the first thing I did while at the airport was to write an email to Shearwater letting them know they had a dealer who was also an Avelo Instructor. I ended up introducing the new Shearwater CEO to the CEO of Avelo. The Shearwater CEO soon flew to Maui to experience Avelo and the rest is history.

Now the reason I wrote Shearwater is because I love Shearwater computers and really don't like the Scubapro computers. The Scubapro G2 already had a beta Avelo Mode on it last June. I saw it and thought this would be soooo much better on a Teric.

So the take away here is that a lot of industry insiders think Avelo is not simply going to be a niche market. They believe Avelo represents the next evolution of Scuba. Most people are hesitant about it until they have the opportunity to dive it. I get it. I was too. What I will say is the koolaid tastes great. :)

Sorry, I still don’t get it. But I’m not an ‘early adopter’ nor am I a futurist. I could very easily be wrong. Time will tell.

They had a HUGE presence at DEMA. They spent a fortune at the show. This guy has some big backers or maybe he’s a billionaire self-funding a passion. IMO there’s no way he’s recouping the R&D, marketing and start-up costs in the medium term, if ever. The potential market is just a tiny fragment of a small slice of a declining market.

Our current works
They had a HUGE presence at DEMA. They spent a fortune at the show. This guy has some big backers or maybe he’s a billionaire self-funding a passion. IMO there’s no way he’s recouping the R&D, marketing and start-up costs in the medium term, if ever. The potential market is just a tiny fragment of a small slice of a declining market.
No my friend. It's going to singlehandedly revive the scuba market. Every reef will be covered with divers, I mean Aveloers, shooting Tik Tok paeans to the glory that is Avelo.

Here on the soon to be renamed aveloboard.com, the BCD forum will be moved to Vintage gear since there will no longer be any question on modern dive gear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom