Do not ever say you are a rescue diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But the concept is the same, the physics apply to all of us the same way.
As I wrote in detail earlier, the concept is not the same. I don't feel like repeating the whole thing, so here is a minor anecdote to give an idea.

Dr. Simon Mitchell helped me immeasurably when I wrote my article on the latest thinking on decompression diving ascents (deep stops). He had strong opinions on best practices for such dives. I wanted to write a similar article on NDL dives, but he said he could not help me because the research was not clear enough for him to form any firm opinions on ascent strategies. So perhaps you should send a private message to Dr. Michell to explain to him why he is wrong, and the concepts are the same.

This is tiresome. There is distinct difference between "decompression" and a "deco dive." The former is a physiological term, the latter is a scuba term, each with their own meaning. It is OK to say, "every dive involves decompression." It is not ok to say every dive is a deco dive," unless you prefer to be sloppy with the language.
Putting it another way, he is taking a word from one context and inserting it into another context for which it is not intended.

And the overwhelming majority of divers have a term they use for dives that cross that line and require mandatory decompression. The use that term to differentiate those dives from dives that don't cross that line. They call them "decompression dives."

Do you believe that there should not be a term for dives requiring decompression stops, and if so, why not?

If you believe it is OK for divers to use a specific term to refer to those kinds of dives, why do you object to the term they are currently using?

I don't have a problem either way. Terminology means something in a given context. Especially in the English language, many words have multiple meanings depending on context.

This is tiresome. There is distinct difference between "decompression" and a "deco dive." The former is a physiological term, the latter is a scuba term, each with their own meaning. It is OK to say, "every dive involves decompression." It is not ok to say every dive is a deco dive," unless you prefer to be sloppy with the language.

Yup, agreed!

I am not on a PADI high horse. I am just trying to get people to stop creating confusion.

As for Black Crusader, what did he say that was not correct and led you to have a dig at him?

I am wondering if you misread his post. You later wrote:

He never wrote that in this thread. You wrote that he said it on FaceBook--do you have a link to that? I wonder if you misread the earlier post that he quoted and thought he was talking about a dive in an OW certification course.
Correct me if I'm wrong but Padi doesn't recommend 40m for OW certified divers.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Padi doesn't recommend 40m for OW certified divers.

The 40m is a maximum. PADI recommends less than the maximum until you have training or experience. Are you misunderstanding this on purpose?

This
B5F2DFB6-4B23-4140-A394-32D132077E0C.jpeg

Does not mean this
C350EBF4-9BFE-47FE-95FF-1B9D9E654768.jpeg

And here's the gist of the FB thread, minus his comments through it of course.
91715620-5991-4224-9AE3-05E7939B5ABB.jpeg

Correct me if I'm wrong but Padi doesn't recommend 40m for OW certified divers
Of course not, because it's not appropriate for all OW divers. Doesn't mean some OW divers can't handle it. Remember, it's about being within training and experience, and the latter obviously can grow.

Driving in severe rush-hour traffic isn't recommended for a brand new driver either, but by building up to it gradually, it becomes achievable without undo risk.

I still think saying the recreational "limit" is 40m then saying there's no scuba police is a contradiction, we don't need to agree though.
Why is this a contradiction?

You seem to disagree with one or both statements. I’m not sure which is more problematic.

I’ve never encountered Scuba police, though have heard that in some places there are some strict laws regarding Scuba. But, I don’t believe anyone has Scuba police in the water or checking computers.

You put quotes around limit. So, I’m thinking that maybe you disagree with that portion, plus some of your other posts seem to support that you think it’s something else. What do you think the recreational depth limit is?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom