Do not ever say you are a rescue diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What do you think the recreational depth limit is?
There is no simple answer. It depend on country and on the agency or organizations.
For example at Maldives the limit is 30 meters, by law.
In Malta it appears to be 40m.
Here in Italy traditionally the limit was 50m for most organizations which operate here since 1950.
I was told that in UK the recreational limit is 56 m.
In most European countries where national organizations adhere to Cmas or Bsac deco dives are also fully recreational.
Tech means trimix, heliox, or diving with gas switching for accelerated deco.
Even the usage of CC rebreathers is not "tech" everywhere.
My first recreational certification in 1975 did enable me to use a CC rebreather to a max depth of 10m...

Ok I'm going to try to explain my position one more time.

I agree that the recreational limit is 40m.
I don't agree with Blackcrusader when he said Padi recommends 40m for OW certified divers.
I think the Padi blog that says the limit is 40m then says straight after that there's no scuba police is a contradiction because if there's no police to enforce a limit then there is no limit. Plus it's pretty stupid thing for a dive agency to say IMO.

The end

So you are saying that in the English language, the phrase "required a decompression stop" means the exactly same thing as "requiring decompression, but not a stop"?
Nah man.... I'm simply saying that I agree with you on the overall importance of the "terminology" for discussion purposes......... but that in REALITY, all dives are in FACT....... decompression dives.

if there's no police to enforce a limit then there is no limit.
So if the sign says Speed Limit is 100 km/h and there are no police around, then there is no speed limit?

Ffs really?

I'm saying if someone told me the speed limit was 100 but there was no such thing as police, then there's no limit!

Ok I'm going to try to explain my position one more time.

I agree that the recreational limit is 40m.
I don't agree with Blackcrusader when he said Padi recommends 40m for OW certified divers.
I think the Padi blog that says the limit is 40m then says straight after that there's no scuba police is a contradiction because if there's no police to enforce a limit then there is no limit. Plus it's pretty stupid thing for a dive agency to say IMO.

The end
Aren’t the insurance companies the de-facto dive police? Dive beyond your qualifications at your peril.

Ask Padi, they said it lol
This is absolutely absurd. I certainly hope the readers who are not as experienced are able to fight through the verbal chaos you are creating.

So this ISN'T from the Padi website?
023B71FE-62AA-4CA7-9773-E338436027EF.jpeg

Nah man.... I'm simply saying that I agree with you on the overall importance of the "terminology" for discussion purposes......... but that in REALITY, all dives are in FACT....... decompression dives.
I will write this as simply as I can.

The way the phrase "decompression dive" is used in modern scuba speak, it is understood to mean a dive with required decompression stops (or a ceiling below the surface). How well understood is that? I just googled the term, and I went through several pages of Google links to articles explaining the definition of a decompression dive. All of them, every single one, says that a decompression dive is a dive requiring stops before reaching the surface. With that kind of agreement, we can safely say that the definition of a decompression dive is a dive requiring stops before reaching the surface.

By definition, then, a dive that does not require a stop before reaching the surface is NOT a decompression dive.

By insisting that it is a decompression dive, you are misusing the language. You are using a word out of context. In terms of interference theory, you are creating noise in the system and interfering with communication.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom