Do not ever say you are a rescue diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The only people who can make laws regarding scuba are local legal authorities.

Local dive operations can make enforceable policies, including limiting depths.

It must be tough for some people who charter a dive boat and hear the DM announce that decompression diving is not allowed. I imagine all the people who insist that all dives are decompression dives must be packing up their gear at that point, since that means no diving is allowed.
We all know that when a DM or a boat OP announces that No Deco diving is permitted.......it implies what it generally means. The DM knows.......The operation knows....... and the divers know.

But........the simple FACT is that anyone who believes that ANY dive on compressed gas does not in fact involve decompression is 100% wrong.

Let's just simplify this. Are you saying that a dive to 60 ft for 50 minutes does not have any issues related to decompression? It's a simple answer. Yes or No.

Hey....... Lighten up Francis! We all know that when a DM or a boat OP announces that No Deco diving is permitted.......it implies what it generally means. The DM knows.......The operation knows....... and the divers know.

But........the simple FACT is that anyone who believes that ANY dive on compressed gas does not in fact involve decompression is 100% wrong.

Let's just simplify this. Are you saying that a dive to 60 ft for 50 minutes does not have any issues related to decompression? It's a simple answer. Yes or No.
I am simply saying that in modern scuba speech, the phrase "decompression dive" means a dive requiring a decompression dive. Note that I said "phrase."The fact that you would understand that phrase on a boat shows that you understand that.

Sure, all dives include decompression, but that does not change the fact that the phrase "decompression dive" means "a dive with required decompression stops."

The individual word "decompression" means something different from the phrase "decompression dive." When you say all dives are decompression dives, using that phrase means that you are saying that all dives require decompression stops, and that is not true.

You are using a word from one context and trying to insert it into a phrase that means something else. "All dives are decompression dives" means something entirely different from "all dives include decompression."

Hey....... Lighten up Francis! We all know that when a DM or a boat OP announces that No Deco diving is permitted.......it implies what it generally means. The DM knows.......The operation knows....... and the divers know.

The answer is "No." There is almost no hazard of bubbles forming as the pressure is released under normal ascent procedures. You are ignoring the time factor for dissolving nitrogen into the diver's tissues and blood. All you see is the physics of lessening pressure. But decompression is a process of releasing dissolved nitrogen from the body.

By the way, there is a reason that Cousteau's Conshelf II project had the Starfish House at just under 33 feet (10 meters) underwater. They did not have to worry about saturating their divers so that they had to decompress. Their Deep Cabin, however, was at 90 feet, and they did have to worry about those two divers, and explained that in the film, World Without Sun.

Similarly, I dive in rivers a lot. The hole I dive in is 22 feet deep. I can used my twin doubles and stay underwater for extended times (an hour or more), without having to worry about decompression. Yes, I experience a lessening of pressure as I surface. That doesn't represent a "decompression," as there is no hazard from nitrogen dissolved in my tissues at that depth.

SeaRat

DSC00286 by John Ratliff, on Flickr
Here I'm diving with Sid Macken in Big Cliff Reservoir, and about 30 feet. We made two dives without needing to worry about decompression.

0617ABC6-1BD6-46B2-A933-AF654A2C8DD2 by John Ratliff, on Flickr
This is one of the Cousteau Deep Cabin divers, who dived to in excess of 300 feet without worrying about decompression as their "home" was at 90 feet. But when ascending to the Starfish House, at 33 feet, they did have such worries.
The Black Masks have held out in the Deep Cabin for the period planned. The time has come to recover Kientzy and Portelatine, who have lived in 3 1/2 atmospheres of pressure for 168 hours. The TV monitor in the cabin transmits to Starfish House Portelatine's preparations for departure from the sweat-box. he and Kientzy don gas masks and breathe equal parts of oxygen and nitrogen for three-and-a-half hours. This reduces the saturated helium in their tissues belowe the danger line...

...1500 housr: 'Here they come!' The Black Masks leave the Deep Cabin and ascend the reef. To be doubly sure of no ill after-effects, the deep men stop at minus fifty feet for twenty minutes of stage decompression. They continue up for ten feet more and holt for thirty minutes. As they cross the yard of Starfish House, the Black Masks are astonished to see Cousteau's wife, Simone, standing in the window. Three days before, feeling utterly tired and half-ill in the heat aboard calypso, she decided to come down for a rest. The Oceanauts moved out of one sleeping bay and she stayed in the Conshelf Station. Her impulse has made Mme Cousteau the first feminine Oceanaut.
Cousteau, Jacques-Yves, World Without Sun, Edited by James Dugan, Harper & Row, Publishers, New York, copyright 1964' Library of Congress Catalog Card Number: 65-14690, pages 191-192.

Here is a Cousteau movie about their Conshelf projects:

The answer is "No." There is almost no hazard of bubbles forming as the pressure is released under normal ascent procedures. You are ignoring the time factor for dissolving nitrogen into the diver's tissues and blood. All you see is the physics of lessening pressure. But decompression is a process of releasing dissolved nitrogen from the body.

Incorrect! Bubbles are most certainly forming, but within NDL they're (typically) benign and fall into the category of "silent bubbles." According to the PADI table, if you go to 60ft for 50mins a safety stop is now required.

Yes and on FB he's saying it's fine to go to 40m on the fourth dive of your OW course!

Yeah just seeing the funny reactions of others. I did not say it's fine I said maybe standards should change and anyway you would be with your instructor lol. That's why the group is called scuba board uncensored. It's not called scuba board common sense.

JOKE.jpg

Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time, and annoys the pig.

The pedant in the thread isn't going to give up his hobby horse, and (predictably) thinks other people are the pedant. Let's pretend the 55 mph speed limit is still in effect, and let this thread peter out here. (Oops, now we're back to what "limits" means.)

Back
Top Bottom