Do not ever say you are a rescue diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@boulderjohn you can get off your Padi high horse mate, I was having a dig at Blackcrusader not padi.

I still think saying the recreational "limit" is 40m then saying there's no scuba police is a contradiction, we don't need to agree though.

OK lets say I dive to 45m and do not exceed NDL and exceed the "recommended" recreational depth limit. Can Padi issue me a fine, put points on my certificate " license" or revoke my certification. What legal authority does PADI have over my dives?

We are witnessing the parameters changing. For years, certain individuals have argued that recreational dives do not involve decompression, period. Even faced with the conundrum that in that case, why do we ascend slowly and at varying rates of speed; plan a safety stop; surface in a pressure group; have a surface interval; have a no-fly time; why are there unexplained hits, etc.? Why do some advocate that as we get older or less fit, that we stay further away from the NDL's? Nope, not decompression, apparently.

Now there is a concession that "sure, all dives include decompression", but the sticking point is the phrase rather than the word.

The post below is one of those that should be saved for posterity.

I am simply saying that in modern scuba speech, the phrase "decompression dive" means a dive requiring a decompression dive. Note that I said "phrase."The fact that you would understand that phrase on a boat shows that you understand that.

Sure, all dives include decompression, but that does not change the fact that the phrase "decompression dive" means "a dive with required decompression stops."

The individual word "decompression" means something different from the phrase "decompression dive." When you say all dives are decompression dives, using that phrase means that you are saying that all dives require decompression stops, and that is not true.

You are using a word from one context and trying to insert it into a phrase that means something else. "All dives are decompression dives" means something entirely different from "all dives include decompression."

The only people who can make laws regarding scuba are local legal authorities.
Local dive operations can make enforceable policies, including limiting depths.
It must be tough for some people who charter a dive boat and hear the DM announce that decompression diving is not allowed. I imagine all the people who insist that all dives are decompression dives must be packing up their gear at that point, since that means no diving is allowed.

Sometimes it's my dive buddy who requests a max depth limit. On my last dive trip my buddy who has a DM cert and over a thousand dives request we do not go deeper than 25m but prefers to stay around 15m depth. As a buddy I accept his request. After all we are good diving friends who plan diving vacations together. The only dives where I exceeded 25m were just myself and the dm.

SCREENSHOT.jpg

OK lets say I dive to 45m and do not exceed NDL and exceed the "recommended" recreational depth limit. Can Padi issue me a fine, put points on my certificate " license" or revoke my certification. What legal authority does PADI have over my dives?
PADI has no authority -- legal or otherwise --over your dives once you are certified. Why do you ask?

Sometimes it's my dive buddy who requests a max depth limit. On my last dive trip my buddy who has a DM cert and over a thousand dives request we do not go deeper than 25m but prefers to stay around 15m depth. As a buddy I accept his request. After all we are good diving friends who plan diving vacations together. The only dives where I exceeded 25m were just myself and the dm.

View attachment 755639
What point are you you trying to make with this post?

You do realize you have completely misinterpreted that statement?

On here or on FB scuba uncensored? On FB then yeah.

PADI has no authority -- legal or otherwise --over your dives once you are certified. Why do you ask?

Yeah I know that was directed at the one who thinks my post on an FB group is ott.

What point are you you trying to make with this post?

That there is no authority about depth except my dive buddy who may have a request not to do deep dives together, our certs means nothing when it comes to depth.

On here or on FB scuba uncensored? On FB then yeah.
Here too. You conflated maximum depth and recommended depth. 49m is maximum depth, as PADI quotes. Recommended depth depends on your training and experience, so like 30, 30, and 40m.

That there is no authority about depth except my dive buddy who may have a request not to do deep dives together, our certs means nothing when it comes to depth.
Other authorities are the country you are diving in, or the operator you are diving with, or the kind of insurance you have. It is not just your dive buddy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom