Do not ever say you are a rescue diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From Blackcrusaders post two pages back...
8E178C90-BEC1-43AD-94CE-D8B995BA651B.jpeg

From Blackcrusaders post two pages back...View attachment 755580
Why are you quoting this? I am searching for the context.

My best guess is you are tying to prove something you wrote in these two posts.
They contradict themselves, they say 40m is the max then say there's no scuba police so you can dive to whatever you want haha

Anyway, Padi recommends 18m for OW, 30m for AOW and 40m with Deep.
Where is the contradiction? It is true that PADI says the recreational limit is 40m. It is also true that there are no scuba police, so if you choose to, you can violate that limit. One sentence does not contradict the other.

Yes and on FB he's saying it's fine to go to 40m on the fourth dive of your OW course!

There is a difference between diving in a course and diving on your own. In a course, PADI sets specific limits for specific dives, and they do have the power over that because they can expel an instructor who violates standards. In a PADI OW course, the first two dives cannot exceed 40 feet. The second two cannot exceed 60 feet.

Once divers are out of class, they are no longer ruled by those limits.

the undeniable fact is that ALL dives involve "compression" and so by default they ALL require "decompression" .
While that's true, what useful information does that convey? With that in mind, a "decompression dive" is the same thing as just a plain old "dive" (being applicable across the board). Meanwhile, the rest of the world have drawn a line between mandatory stop and optional stop diving and use the adjective "decompression" to denote which side of the line they mean. Bucking the consensus on that front doesn't do anyone any good in my view.

So you are saying that in the English language, the phrase "required a decompression stop" means the exactly same thing as "requiring decompression, but not a stop"?

Stops are just a construct that make it easy to adhere to a ceiling. You don't have to stop to decompress, if we're going to be pedantic about it, decompression is a gradient.

@boulderjohn you can get off your Padi high horse mate, I was having a dig at Blackcrusader not padi.

I still think saying the recreational "limit" is 40m then saying there's no scuba police is a contradiction, we don't need to agree though.

Stops are just a construct that make it easy to adhere to a ceiling. You don't have to stop to decompress, if we're going to be pedantic about it, decompression is a gradient.
So are you saying "decompression stop required" should be changed to "ceiling deeper than the surface"?

So are you saying "decompression stop required" should be changed to "ceiling deeper than the surface"?

No, I'm just saying, or rather agreeing with those who say that every dive is a decompression dive. I don't know why some are trying to make it so complicated. If decompression wasn't required we wouldn't have ascent recommendations, no-fly intervals, ensuring we exhale as we ascend and so on. Scuba requires compression and decompression. That's all.

Now, there's a murky line, that if crossed requires mandatory decompression. But this is still just a continuation of the same theme/concept. To cross that line people must be trained so that they understand what, why, how, etc. But the concept is the same, the physics apply to all of us the same way.

@boulderjohn you can get off your Padi high horse mate, I was having a dig at Blackcrusader not padi.

I still think saying the recreational "limit" is 40m then saying there's no scuba police is a contradiction, we don't need to agree though.
I am not on a PADI high horse. I am just trying to get people to stop creating confusion.

As for Black Crusader, what did he say that was not correct and led you to have a dig at him?

Padi recommended recreational limit for an OW certified diver is 40m
Since when?
I am wondering if you misread his post. You later wrote:
Yes and on FB he's saying it's fine to go to 40m on the fourth dive of your OW course!
He never wrote that in this thread. You wrote that he said it on FaceBook--do you have a link to that? I wonder if you misread the earlier post that he quoted and thought he was talking about a dive in an OW certification course.

Now, there's a murky line, that if crossed requires mandatory decompression. But this is still just a continuation of the same theme/concept. To cross that line people must be trained so that they understand what, why, how, etc. But the concept is the same, the physics apply to all of us the same way.
And the overwhelming majority of divers have a term they use for dives that cross that line and require mandatory decompression. The use that term to differentiate those dives from dives that don't cross that line. They call them "decompression dives."

Do you believe that there should not be a term for dives requiring decompression stops, and if so, why not?

If you believe it is OK for divers to use a specific term to refer to those kinds of dives, why do you object to the term they are currently using?

No, I'm just saying, or rather agreeing with those who say that every dive is a decompression dive. I don't know why some are trying to make it so complicated. If decompression wasn't required we wouldn't have ascent recommendations, no-fly intervals, ensuring we exhale as we ascend and so on. Scuba requires compression and decompression. That's all.

This is tiresome. There is distinct difference between "decompression" and a "deco dive." The former is a physiological term, the latter is a scuba term, each with their own meaning. It is OK to say, "every dive involves decompression." It is not ok to say every dive is a deco dive," unless you prefer to be sloppy with the language.

Back
Top Bottom