Do not ever say you are a rescue diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They contradict themselves, they say 40m is the max then say there's no scuba police so you can dive to whatever you want haha

Where do you think "tech" diving came from? There has never been limits on recreational diving. The 30m limit on OW diving happened as diving agencies increased, and probably evolved from the US Navy's limitations because of the limited time to work so it was the point where surface supplied was more logical.

No deco limits on Navy tables still go to 190' as it did when I first learned.

OW training is for NDL buddy diving, and started in order to reduce the number of recreational diving casualties at the time SCUBA was becoming popular in the late '50's, which evolved into numerous diving agencies.

They contradict themselves, they say 40m is the max then say there's no scuba police so you can dive to whatever you want haha

Anyway, Padi recommends 18m for OW, 30m for AOW and 40m with Deep.
Who is they?

The truth is there is no scuba police. PADI tells you that 40m is the max NDL dive, but there is nothing stopping you from doing whatever you want on your personal dives. In Cozumel about a decade ago, a dive shop owner and two friends planned a dive to 300 feet and ended up going to 400. She died, and one of the others will never walk again. No agency in the world would sanction a dive like that, but no agency in the world can stop you from doing it if you wish.

Yes and on FB he's saying it's fine to go to 40m on the fourth dive of your OW course!

I'm not even a dive professional, and can tell you that would not be within standards.

I was wondering as well.

We demand answers @Mike1967 😂
57881904 (1).jpg

I actually get and agree with Boulder John that the "common" understanding and generally agreed definition of a Deco Dive is when a Decompression Stop or Procedure is required and that the generally agreed term makes it far more clear for discussion purposes... But the undeniable fact is that ALL dives involve "compression" and so by default they ALL require "decompression" .

Even a so called "No-Deco" dive to 60ft for 55 minutes on Air requires a controlled ascent rate. There is a REASON why you cannot just jamb full speed straight to the surface.......and that reason is the necessity for Decompression. Just say'n..

Blackcrusader

As above

Padi
Show me.

So I just went back to Black Crusader's last post, and I don't see anything like what you are claiming. Please provide specific quotes.

If you say "PADI" is a source, please quote PADI, not some non-instructor in ScubaBoard who tells you what PADI says.

I actually get and agree with Boulder John that the "common" understanding and generally agreed definition of a Deco Dive is when a Decompression Stop or Procedure is required and that the generally agreed term makes it far more clear for discussion purposes... But the undeniable fact is that ALL dives involve "compression" and so by default they ALL require "decompression" .

Even a so called "No-Deco" dive to 60ft for 55 minutes on Air requires a controlled ascent rate. There is a REASON why you cannot just jamb full speed straight to the surface.......and that reason is the necessity for Decompression. Just say'n..
So you are saying that in the English language, the phrase "required a decompression stop" means the exactly same thing as "requiring decompression, but not a stop"?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom