Do not ever say you are a rescue diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The term "master" or "mastery" in education is based on "mastery learning," a concept that has been in education for well over a half century and is most closely associated with Dr. Benjamin Bloom. You can get a description of it here.
Well over half a century indeed. Well over a century in fact since the Montessori pedagogy is a Mastery based approach with a highly sequenced curriculum in all subject areas. Students individually demonstrate mastery in a variety of ways (which are observed and tracked) prior to moving on. Lessons begin with a student demonstrating mastery of a prior lesson.

Your neighbourly Montessori teacher. Carry on. 😁

Since when?

Since I was first certified in 1986 at least and from before that.
Just write to Padi and ask them. Outside of the training environment the recreational limit is 40m.
Padi in any case has no legal authority about any depth limit a person dives to.

You may want to read this or many other threads where certifications and depth are mentioned.

"Whether you dive with a buddy, or alone, it is wise and prudent to be able to self-rescue, and not depend on a buddy to rescue you. Because there are many scenarios in a buddy-dive where a buddy may not be able to assist."

Is that statement incorrect?

edit: JC Ratcliff seems to describe an instructor/mentor role, which I might consider one of the exceptions. If that understanding wasn't there going into the dive, then I'd consider the other divers unprepared for that dive. For example: Typically, the first time one jumps out of an airplane, they're usually tandem, with someone very competent, but perhaps not competent to do the jump themselves.
Well, SlugMug, I’ve been diving since 1959, and so maybe your description above is correct (“instructor/mentor role”). My first dives were solo in Oregon rivers and lakes. That was before my certification (LA County, 1963). But what you say, “Typically, the first time one jumps out of an airplane, they’re usually tandem, with someone very competent, but perhaps not competent to do the jump themselves,” is incorrect. At least, in 1967, the U.S. Army did not do any tandem jumps at Ft. Benning out of C-119s. And the North Cascades Smokejumper Base also did not do tandem jumps for the first jump In 1972. I use our parascuba jumps as an indicator that in the U.S. Air Force, when we jumped parascuba, we were essentially jumping and diving solo.

SeaRat

Attachments

• Parascuba Jump-Okinawa-1.jpg
    Parascuba Jump-Okinawa-1.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 42
  • John in Parascuba001.jpg
    John in Parascuba001.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 48
The whole "think of every dive is a solo dive" concept, generally refers to a mindset of not depending or relying on other divers to save you. When difficulties strike, there may be no buddy capable of assisting you. There are many reasons why that may happen; incompetence, inattentive buddies, swam-off, out of reach, lost-visual contact, buddy having their own problems, buddy low-on-air, buddy-panic, ultra-low visibility, buddy-communication problems, etc.
It's the simple principle: get your act together so you don't need rescuing or help from others.

A solo mindset means you think about what could go wrong and ensure it doesn't because you do not ass-u-me that someone else will step in to cover up your own issues or incompetence.

With your skills and awareness squared away, you've more opportunity to give attention to others.

Recreational diving as taught in the 1970s and 1980s by NAUI was no-decompression diving, to a maximum depth of 40 meters/130 feet FOR A MAXIMUM BOTTOM TIME (TIME FROM THE SURFACE TO THE MAX DEPTH and TIME TO ASCEND) OF 8 MINUTES. Beyond that time at a depth of 130 feet/40 meters, it was a decompression dive, and no longer a sport dive.

We also had a teaching goal to avoid the "knife edge" of the no-decompression limits, meaning that a dive to 130 feet/40 meters, even for 8 minutes, was pushing it for a sport dive, which is now called a recreational dive.

SeaRat

Attachments

• NAUI Dive Tables 1989003.jpg
    NAUI Dive Tables 1989003.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 44
When discussing buddy diving, promoting good buddy procedures should be the point, and the word and concepts of solo should be left to a discussion about solo diving.

If only these techniques were taught to ALL divers from the beginning. Few, for example, seem to worry about positioning and passive signalling techniques.

Being a "buddy" is a two-way thing: you need to make sure you're not loosing contact as well as the other partner in this buddy team.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom