Do NOT do any business with EZ SCUBA in Tampa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

msscuba the next time you go dive or have access to a pool, get your tank near 500psi and go about 5 feet below the surface. From starting point say your 23lbs with your 2.3 mil suit on, take of 1 pound breathe a few normal breaths. If you don't start to float up, remove one more pound. Keep doing this until you know the min amount of weight you need to stay down at 5'. If it is warm enough repeat the same task with no wet suit on.

You can also get an idea of how much it takes to sink your suit alone. If you have a laundry/utility tub take some string and tie your suit into a bundle. Do not tie it tight. Just tie it enough to make a nice square bundle as best you can. Then lay a weight on it. Keep stacking weights in the center of the bundle until it sinks. You want to see how much weight it takes to barely sink the suit. Your suit will compress at depth so you for sure do not want to use more than it takes to sink it in the tub. You probably on an actual dive use just a little less, but this will give you a good starting point in fresh water for each suit. With using the tub to determine with weight for the suit and knowing what it takes for you alone, it will help you have a good starting point as you change gear.

I know that in nothing but my nekked self and a jacket, it takes me 10 lbs to get down. If change gear and dive with a back plate and wing then it takes the gear plus 5 more pounds. If I add my wet suit then I must add another 9 pounds.

My dive buddy and I have actually burned off a couple of tanks working on skills once in a while and then working on getting our weighting correct. For us it was time well spent.

Did anyone else notice this story took a big left turn??
Originally we had a non working regulator and a diver sold 30lbs of weight. It is starting to look like the regulator had a free flow issue at the surface, but was able to be used as an octo for the dive. It more than likely was functional at depth. The diver also appears to have been sold only an additional 7lbs of weight for a dive in salt water instead of fresh. It looks more like a misunderstanding of what "skin" was being worn.

All this looks like a perfect example of why a third party should not post on the boards about an issue between another diver and a shop.

Did anyone else notice this story took a big left turn??
Originally we had a non working regulator and a diver sold 30lbs of weight. It is starting to look like the regulator had a free flow issue at the surface, but was able to be used as an octo for the dive. It more than likely was functional at depth. The diver also appears to have been sold only an additional 7lbs of weight for a dive in salt water instead of fresh. It looks more like a misunderstanding of what "skin" was being worn.

All this looks like a perfect example of why a third party should not post on the boards about an issue between another diver and a shop.

Indeed .... assuming the 23lb. with a 3/2 mil suit is correct in fresh water, the additional 7lb. is not totally unreasonable (also assuming the "skin" vs. 3/2 wasn't clear). The 23lb. may be a bit much to start with but every diver is different. I'm 6'3" and 230lb. and need 19 - 22lb. in a full 3mil in fresh water with an AL80 (depending on which BC I'm using). I add 5 - 6lb. for salt.

As someone else suggested, starting over and calculating for a "bare" diver and then testing each component wouldn't be a bad idea. I'm also one of those folks that keeps a list in the back of my log .... I'm continually adding specific BC's to the list due to rentals out of U.S.

FINALLY !!!!! Some sanity! What a cluster.... It's a shame that the shop was slandered when it appears FINALLY that they acted correctly. As usual, a lot of drama over nothing.

This thread has been beat to death.

I'll only add this.

The other day the manager at EZ was teaching an open water class. There classroom is in the middle of the store, and he was helping customers (including me) while teaching.

I have no problems with EZ but I wouldn't want to be one of the students. Flame on, but I don't think that type of environment is appropriate.

Also after mentioning my HP tanks were 3442's they filled them to a nice safe 2800 psi.:popcorn:

They didn't notice the markings stamped on the tanks indicating the HP rating?

How full was their fill bank? Or do they run the system normally?

Glad that it's been resolved by the only two entities that should be involved. Nice to see some good discussion on what to look for and how to check things, too.

I have a question about the reg...it was freeflowing so badly that nothing would make it stop or able to be used. So the dive was done on the octopus. But the freeflowing second stage was still attached? Gear that was known to have a problem was still used? Or was the offending reg simply removed, the plug put in the first stage and the dive completed without an alternative air source? I'm confused.

They didn't notice the markings stamped on the tanks indicating the HP rating?

Yes, he looked at them.

I've never seen a shop fill a tank so quick. That's another reason why I think I'll head some place else.

Glad that it's been resolved by the only two entities that should be involved. Nice to see some good discussion on what to look for and how to check things, too.

I have a question about the reg...it was freeflowing so badly that nothing would make it stop or able to be used. So the dive was done on the octopus. But the freeflowing second stage was still attached? Gear that was known to have a problem was still used? Or was the offending reg simply removed, the plug put in the first stage and the dive completed without an alternative air source? I'm confused.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/3924570-post91.html

I don't know that the issue was really "resolved" but I do know that ms just doesn't want to bother with the thread anymore, it has caused her a lot of stress. Remember she is a new diver and a new member - this has been a lot to contend with.

Her last conversation with the shop was essentially being told that ooops they were sorry and asked her to admit that it is her responsibility to check the reg not theirs (hard lesson learned, I guess). So she received no refund on the reg. rental. She is allowed, if she wants, to use her second tank, that she wasn't able to use because of the reg., FOC on her next dive trip. She was also offered to buy a nitrox class all in the same conversation.

Again, the thread may continue but msscuba doesn't want to take part in it any longer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom