Do NOT do any business with EZ SCUBA in Tampa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is an old post - but I guess it proves that I do my research before getting myself into something. Personally, I'm on the fence with this shop. I took my OW there bc the shop was suggested to me. With regards to the instruction - I felt it was very adequate, even in the "open shop" setting. I took my class on the weekend and it was just myself, the instructor and the rest of the class. They make no effort to hide the fact that the class is given right there in the middle of a shop. If you opt to take it in the middle of the week then common sense would dictate that the shop's going to be open to customers. This is why I went for the weekend option.

I also felt that the actual dive portion of the class was great. All said and done we had about 3 hours of dive time by the end, where as we watched other classes come and go in an hour - suit up, two 20 min dives, breakdown gear and leave. My instructor was great. Overall a good experience.

HOWEVER, my issue with this shop is its business practice and sales tactics. When I go into ANY store (dive shop, mall, appliance, whatever) I know what I'm there for and don't want to be constantly harassed and pressured into a sale. If\when I have a question I use the skills I learned in kindergarten and ASK. I feel like I'm in a used car dealership every time I go in there. I'm here to rent tanks, man. Not buy an exorbitantly overpriced BC. - (segue) - And who exactly do they think they're fooling with their prices? I have a real problem with a business that sells a snorkel for $34 and another shop has the EXACT same one for $16. And the snorkel is just an example - one that can be applied to almost every single piece of equipment in that shop. They are by far the most expensive dive shop and/or dive retailer that I have come across - period. Generic fins from $90? I don't even want to speculate as to what they're selling their Zeagle Rangers for. Could I haggle? Sure. But then I could also just skip the haggling and buy from an honest shop that appropriately prices their merchandise. Their business\sales practices are based on "get as much as you can out of them the first time." It seems like they're hoping that you're ignorant to the sport and have deep pockets. It seems that they are not interested in getting and keeping loyal, repeat customers. But want to get as much out of you the first time you step foot in their shop.

At first I thought that maybe it was all in my head. But then I started visiting a few other shops and talking with other divers in the area and it amazed me that nearly EVERY single one I talked to was at some point affiliated with that shop (used to work there) and/or had a bad experience with them (either as a customer, or an employee). The instruction might be great, but everything else I've been told and personally experienced is pointing me toward finding another home.

/rant

I suppose this is long overdue - but better late than never.

Let me start out by saying that I didn't get into diving in order to quarrel with anyone. That's what my job and family are for :D. But having said that, I have felt for quite some time that this post was/is a stain on both myself and on Eric - perhaps more unjustly on the latter than the former. My regret is not so much in what I said, but that I said it here instead of addressing the issue directly with Eric and giving him the opportunity to make things right. That's not typically how I like to handle things and it's simply not fair to him or his business.

As my diving has progressed over the last few months my path has crossed that of EZ's on more than one occasion. In every subsequent encounter I've had with Eric and his shop, I have come to regret my initial post a little more each time. I honestly can't say a bad thing about any of the guys in there. Everyone, including Eric, has been more than accommodating and/or helpful in some way. Naturally, I knew that at some point this post would become a topic of conversation - and it did.

Eric and I had a long conversation about this very post today. Short of holding hands and getting misty-eyed, lets just say that all was made right. So I commend him in taking the time to sort this out despite the fact that it's months old. In turn, I felt it was only right for me to set things straight and wipe the slate clean. So hopefully this does just that. I have no hard feelings and hope that this will no longer be a source of contention.

Happy diving.

I agree with Scott. Way to man up.

i am a scuba instructor, I had never put mre than 24 lbs of weight on any human body, even to divers over 250lbs! I am shocked.

i am a scuba instructor, I had never put mre than 24 lbs of weight on any human body, even to divers over 250lbs! I am shocked.

Have you ever certified a 320# man in cold water (40+) wearing a 2 pc 7mm (john/jane)?

I'm a scuba instructor, and I routinely wear 24 lbs with a drysuit or a 7mm semidry with an aluminum cylinder and BCD, or when installing moorings.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom