Do NOT do any business with EZ SCUBA in Tampa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FINALLY !!!!! Some sanity! What a cluster.... It's a shame that the shop was slandered when it appears FINALLY that they acted correctly. As usual, a lot of drama over nothing.

wrong

msscuba, it might be a good idea just to let it go at this point ... some people get it ...... some don't.

This is an old post - but I guess it proves that I do my research before getting myself into something. Personally, I'm on the fence with this shop. I took my OW there bc the shop was suggested to me. With regards to the instruction - I felt it was very adequate, even in the "open shop" setting. I took my class on the weekend and it was just myself, the instructor and the rest of the class. They make no effort to hide the fact that the class is given right there in the middle of a shop. If you opt to take it in the middle of the week then common sense would dictate that the shop's going to be open to customers. This is why I went for the weekend option.

I also felt that the actual dive portion of the class was great. All said and done we had about 3 hours of dive time by the end, where as we watched other classes come and go in an hour - suit up, two 20 min dives, breakdown gear and leave. My instructor was great. Overall a good experience.

HOWEVER, my issue with this shop is its business practice and sales tactics. When I go into ANY store (dive shop, mall, appliance, whatever) I know what I'm there for and don't want to be constantly harassed and pressured into a sale. If\when I have a question I use the skills I learned in kindergarten and ASK. I feel like I'm in a used car dealership every time I go in there. I'm here to rent tanks, man. Not buy an exorbitantly overpriced BC. - (segue) - And who exactly do they think they're fooling with their prices? I have a real problem with a business that sells a snorkel for $34 and another shop has the EXACT same one for $16. And the snorkel is just an example - one that can be applied to almost every single piece of equipment in that shop. They are by far the most expensive dive shop and/or dive retailer that I have come across - period. Generic fins from $90? I don't even want to speculate as to what they're selling their Zeagle Rangers for. Could I haggle? Sure. But then I could also just skip the haggling and buy from an honest shop that appropriately prices their merchandise. Their business\sales practices are based on "get as much as you can out of them the first time." It seems like they're hoping that you're ignorant to the sport and have deep pockets. It seems that they are not interested in getting and keeping loyal, repeat customers. But want to get as much out of you the first time you step foot in their shop.

At first I thought that maybe it was all in my head. But then I started visiting a few other shops and talking with other divers in the area and it amazed me that nearly EVERY single one I talked to was at some point affiliated with that shop (used to work there) and/or had a bad experience with them (either as a customer, or an employee). The instruction might be great, but everything else I've been told and personally experienced is pointing me toward finding another home.

/rant

I agree 110% about there gear.

The guys excluding the owner are great. His staff are excellent.

I could go on about my experiences, but I won't. You summed up things pretty well.

HOWEVER, my issue with this shop is its business practice and sales tactics. When I go into ANY store (dive shop, mall, appliance, whatever) I know what I'm there for and don't want to be constantly harassed and pressured into a sale. If\when I have a question I use the skills I learned in kindergarten and ASK. I feel like I'm in a used car dealership every time I go in there. I'm here to rent tanks, man. Not buy an exorbitantly overpriced BC. - (segue) - And who exactly do they think they're fooling with their prices? I have a real problem with a business that sells a snorkel for $34 and another shop has the EXACT same one for $16. And the snorkel is just an example - one that can be applied to almost every single piece of equipment in that shop. They are by far the most expensive dive shop and/or dive retailer that I have come across - period. Generic fins from $90? I don't even want to speculate as to what they're selling their Zeagle Rangers for. Could I haggle? Sure. But then I could also just skip the haggling and buy from an honest shop that appropriately prices their merchandise. Their business\sales practices are based on "get as much as you can out of them the first time." It seems like they're hoping that you're ignorant to the sport and have deep pockets. It seems that they are not interested in getting and keeping loyal, repeat customers. But want to get as much out of you the first time you step foot in their shop.

At first I thought that maybe it was all in my head. But then I started visiting a few other shops and talking with other divers in the area and it amazed me that nearly EVERY single one I talked to was at some point affiliated with that shop (used to work there) and/or had a bad experience with them (either as a customer, or an employee). The instruction might be great, but everything else I've been told and personally experienced is pointing me toward finding another home.

/rant

Almost anyone you speak to about why they left the shop will state exactly what you did above. Eric has been in business for years though - so clearly this works for him..

If EZ is not your "flavor", we are lucky to have a couple of very good shops in the area. Check out; Divers Supply (my shop), Adventure Sports, and Macs. Further out, pm me and I can suggest even more shops. Brandon @ Brandon ScubaQuest on Brandon Blvd., is great. Note he calls himself Brandon cubed :tongue:

Last edited:
"Brandon cubed" cute. Is that like Sponge Bob Square Pants?
Brandon is the best of the three listed above in my opinion! Plus his store front looks great too! :)

I went to see Dave when he started at Diver's Supply (he's also my instructor).
The one request that I had for the shop (ok two requests) was that they carry more shirts geared towards women and an more "tropical" atmosphere. Right now it's plain.

I have been to Diver's Supply a few times and I really like the atmosphere in there. All the guys I've talked to were more than willing to share their time..

Great to hear that, And it'll only get better over time.

Plus I hear they're fixing to start selling Zeagle gear.

And we'll have the best prices around on that Zeagle gear :wink:

I went to see Dave when he started at Diver's Supply (he's also my instructor). The one request that I had for the shop (ok two requests) was that they carry more shirts geared towards women and an more "tropical" atmosphere. Right now it's plain.

Plans for both are in the pipe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom