Do NOT do any business with EZ SCUBA in Tampa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I Dive

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
They told a new diver (who announced herself as new and wanting assistance/advice), who was wearing nothing more than a skin, to wear 30 pounds of weight in salt. I want to reiterate, the diver was not even in a 3 mil. The diver was wearing nothing more than a skin. The primary reg this diver rented ended up in free flow during the predive. Luckily an experienced diver was assisting this newby or who knows how this would have ended... When the diver returned the gear and asked for a refund, she was told it was her fault. They offered the diver a free cylinder rental. Gee, thanks... I honestly don't know how any dive operation can justify this behavior. I have never heard of a properly maintained reg ending up in free flow in perfect conditions (on the surface nonetheless), and I am still trying to get my mind around their weight suggestion. I've seen people in 7 mils dive less weight... The weight thing can be debated, but the failed rental gear is pretty cut and dry... I say, avoid this place like the plague...

EZ SCUBA DIVING
Scuba Florida, Scuba Diving Equipment Tampa, Kayak Dive Florida!
7711 W. Hillsborough Ave
Tampa, FL, 33615

Actually all my properly maintained (and properly tuned) regs will free-flow on the surface if the venturi lever is in "dive" position (versus the pre-dive position) and I hit the purge with the reg out of my mouth.

I'm more worried about the 30 lbs. of weight. Some BCs don't even have that much lift. That could be quite dangerous.

Conversely, EZ Scuba has been around a long time and the only complaints I ever heard were more related to sales tactics (like selling unneeded gear to newer divers).

I was going to say the same thing about the reg, mine will f/f in the pre dive position if its out of my mouth at the surface and upside down, the weight on the other hand, well I'd like to think they said 13 and it sounded like 30 and it was a miscommunication or misunderstanding.

If the store has been around a "long time" they should be able to give her a free rental at another date. This is called customer service and this is what is lacking here.

I am absolutely SURE my dive shop would do this without hesitation.

I-dive was there and should've been able to get a reg to stop free-flowing if it was possible.

I WILL NEVER SPEND ANY $$ IN A STORE THAT VALUES ITS CUSTOMERS THIS WAY! SELLING UNNEEDED GEAR TO NEW DIVERS??

Actually all my properly maintained (and properly tuned) regs will free-flow on the surface if the venturi lever is in "dive" position (versus the pre-dive position) and I hit the purge with the reg out of my mouth.

I'm more worried about the 30 lbs. of weight. Some BCs don't even have that much lift. That could be quite dangerous.

Conversely, EZ Scuba has been around a long time and the only complaints I ever heard were more related to sales tactics (like selling unneeded gear to newer divers).

My S 600 will free flow on the surface with the venturi lever in the dive position, so will my Zeagle ZX. For a normal size person, 30lbs is way to much weight. After having issues with this shop, I am a former customer also. :palmtree: Bob

Look, most quality regs out there will free flow on the surface if the venturi lever is in the dive position if it's tuned correctly. If you stick your finger over the mouth piece and it stops, that's normal.

What I'm *not* talking about is a slow leak (hiss) coming from the 2nd stage (that's an indication the first stages IP being too high or the dire need of a rebuild on the 2nd stage).

If it was indeed an easily stopped free flow (not a hiss), the reg is probably okay. I based my statement on the term "free flow".

I suppose a few clarifications are needed at a minimum:
Describe the "free flow". Was it able to be stopped? Did they show her what she supposedly did wrong that caused it??

Look, most quality regs out there will free flow on the surface if the venturi lever is in the dive position if it's tuned correctly. If you stick your finger over the mouth piece and it stops, that's normal.

What I'm *not* talking about is a slow leak (hiss) coming from the 2nd stage (that's an indication the first stages IP being too high or the dire need of a rebuild on the 2nd stage).

If it was indeed an easily stopped free flow (not a hiss), the reg is probably okay. I based my statement on the term "free flow".

I suppose a few clarifications are needed at a minimum:
Describe the "free flow". Was it able to be stopped?

Finger over mout piece did not help... Mouth over mouth piece and breathing did not help... Turning cylinder off, purging hoses, and turning cylinder back on (repated several times and then trying various ideas) did not help... Praying to the Reg Gods did not help... Maybe my original post did not make the issue clear, so I will try again... On the surface, as soon as the cylinder was opened, air was escaping the reg. Nothing short of turning off the cylinder was stopping it. I and other people tried and could not stop it. It wasn't just me, which eliminates the possibility of a brain fart. This was not at all normal for any style, model, or age of reg. This reg failed.

I was going to say the same thing about the reg, mine will f/f in the pre dive position if its out of my mouth at the surface and upside down, the weight on the other hand, well I'd like to think they said 13 and it sounded like 30 and it was a miscommunication or misunderstanding.

The incident happen to me and there was no misunderstanding. They sold me the weights to go with the BC I bought from them. It was clearly 30lbs. They even place the weights in the bc pockets themselves.

Finger over mout piece did not help... Mouth over mouth piece and breathing did not help... Turning cylinder off, purging hoses, and turning cylinder back on (repated several times and then trying various ideas) did not help... Praying to the Reg Gods did not help... Maybe my original post did not make the issue clear, so I will try again... On the surface, as soon as the cylinder was opened, air was escaping the reg. Nothing short of turning off the cylinder was stopping it. I and other people tried and could not stop it. It wasn't just me, which eliminates the possibility of a brain fart. This was not at all normal for any style, model, or age of reg. This reg failed.

Agreed, that is a clear failure. Thank you for the clarification.

The incident happen to me and there was no misunderstanding. They sold me the weights to go with the BC I bought from them. It was clearly 30lbs. They even place the weights in the bc pockets themselves.

That's simply scary.

How much weight do you usually dive with? :palmtree: Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom