Do NOT book at Iberostar if you want to dive with Blue XT Sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Could it be that Iberostar is trying to cut out the competition for Dressel Divers? When I was there two years ago Dressel was twice the price for a two tank dive than the shop I used that would pick up at the dock, weather permiting.

Our resort package was to include a complimentary one tank boat dive. When I went down to Dressel Divers I was informed that to get my complimentary dive I had to pay for a second dive. The price of it was almost as much as a two tank from the operator I used.

This is just another example of why you need to research hotels and dive ops before you book.

James made a good point. MOST people choose the hotel first and then the dive op. This is not a good idea. You are going to dive not lay around in a hotel room. I always advise everyone to pick your dive op FIRST and then pick where you want to stay. Common sense nothing more.

I really do not think Christi will lose any business since she has stopped picking up at Iboestar. She has a great reputation and I think she will be just fine. :07:

jamiep3:
Could it be that Iberostar is trying to cut out the competition for Dressel Divers? When I was there two years ago Dressel was twice the price for a two tank dive than the shop I used that would pick up at the dock, weather permiting.

Our resort package was to include a complimentary one tank boat dive. When I went down to Dressel Divers I was informed that to get my complimentary dive I had to pay for a second dive. The price of it was almost as much as a two tank from the operator I used.

This is just another example of why you need to research hotels and dive ops before you book.

I think that may have alot to do with it, even though the dive shop is not owned by the hotel. The hotel does benefit in other ways by having people dive with the onsite operation, whether directly or indirectly.

While pricing is not what one should base their choice on, one should compare service and ammenities and make sure they are getting a value for the price they are paying. I never have understood the much higher prices for their dives. They keep all of the boats onsite, anchored in front of the hotel therefore saving $$$$$ on fuel, they use large boats that have high capacitys therefore maximizing the profits, and they only travel to the southern sites, again saving alot on fuel. They offer no additional services that I am aware of such as gear rinsing and storing, they have predetermined site selection and profiles, and no other extra "frills" that I know of. Of course only they know what their expenses are, but their prices do seem high even to me.

Just to share another example of problems with the Iberostar.

A friend of mine is a very highly respected wedding planner on the island. Many of the larger resorts and exclusive hotels contract her services and/or consult her for weddings. She is also contracted by Carnival cruises, Royal Carribbean, and I belive Princess Cruise Lines to handle weddings for those wanting to get married on shore in Cozumel.

A bride contracted her to coordinate and plan the details of her wedding at the Iberostar because she wanted something more customized and personalized than the hotel was willing to offer. All of the food and drinks were to be supplied by the hotel at an additional charge, just like a catered event, so they would have actually made a profit from this wedding party of 40+ people. During the process of planning the event, the hotel informed Stephanie that she would not be able to come on the property to attend or work the wedding. The bride contacted the hotel, where she had 40+ guests staying for 4 to 5 days. The hotel would not back down and allow Stephanie to handle their wedding, so the bride threatened taking her entire wedding party elsewhere. They still would not back down, so she did just that. The bride moved her entire wedding party to the Allegro for the week and there were absolutely no problems with Stephanie handling all of the details there. In fact, the Allegro supplied staff to help with set-up and anything needed.

Thanks Christi,

Coz is on my list, Iberostar is now OFF out of the quesiton. Of course things can change with new ownership/management, but for now, that's that, and I'm guessing other divers will share my attitude after reading this thread.

As a professional wedding photographer for many many years (not much now) I have ZERO respect for resorts/organizations who refuse to work with outside vendors (within reason) for the ultimate good of the client. I'm sure moving the Wedding was an added and unnecessary stress on the Wedding Party, and I can attest to how STRESSED brides are duriing wedding planning.

With luck Ibostar will read comments from potential consumers on this board, and change their policies.

Christi, sorry that you have to deal with this type of politics from a hotel. I can not IMAGINE what they are thinking in that use of a dock is such a minor thing in this case. These are the types of things that make life difficult, and it's hard to understand why things are the way they are other than to say some people are just plain *****$#@%s!

RonFrank:
Thanks Christi,

Coz is on my list, Iberostar is now OFF out of the quesiton. Of course things can change with new ownership/management, but for now, that's that, and I'm guessing other divers will share my attitude after reading this thread.

As a professional wedding photographer for many many years (not much now) I have ZERO respect for resorts/organizations who refuse to work with outside vendors (within reason) for the ultimate good of the client. I'm sure moving the Wedding was an added and unnecessary stress on the Wedding Party, and I can attest to how STRESSED brides are duriing wedding planning.

With luck Ibostar will read comments from potential consumers on this board, and change their policies.

Christi, sorry that you have to deal with this type of politics from a hotel. I can not IMAGINE what they are thinking in that use of a dock is such a minor thing in this case. These are the types of things that make life difficult, and it's hard to understand why things are the way they are other than to say some people are just plain *****$#@%s!

Obviously it's not the $1 that is the problem, it is the whole principal and the fact that they are the ONLY hotel that is trying to do this. The other hotels realize that the pier provides a service to THEIR guests who are paying good money to stay there.

By the way, the wedding incident was a few years ago, but they still will not let her in. If she has a bride staying there, they have to relocate the wedding to the beautiful seaside wedding garden she had built/created on Mr. Sanchos property, just south of the beach club...so it's a beautiful and private setting.

Christi:
Just to share another example of problems with the Iberostar.

...During the process of planning the event, the hotel informed [the wedding planner] that she would not be able to come on the property to attend or work the wedding. The bride contacted the hotel, where she had 40+ guests staying for 4 to 5 days. The hotel would not back down and allow Stephanie to handle their wedding, so the bride threatened taking her entire wedding party elsewhere. They still would not back down, so she did just that. The bride moved her entire wedding party to the Allegro for the week and there were absolutely no problems with Stephanie handling all of the details there. In fact, the Allegro supplied staff to help with set-up and anything needed.

Iberostar:
Load and lock
Take aim on foot
Open fire

this is not the first negative review I've read about the Iberostar, besides not being very neighborly to their fellow dive ops, I've also heard they aren't as accomodating to their guests as most of us have been accustomed to in Mexico.
One of these days we will probably see a new name put up infront of the place. Maybe if I hit that big lottery I'll buy the joint and turn it into the world class dive resort it should be. How does 'Sharksvilla' sound? or 'Xoc Landing' (I think 'xoc' is shark in mayan, I'd have to check my books for sure.)
anyway there's a lot more places that would love to have you and allow Christi and all the other great ops to pick you up without some goon standing on the pier taking names and numbers of all the comings and goings.
There's an old saying in business, one unhappy customer can do more damage than 10 happy customers can help your business.

Bummer...We've stayed at the Iberostar 3 times and really like the resort. We have also decided that we will only dive with BlueXTSea.
I really don't think they're trying to get more business for Dressel...they already have more than they can handle. Two and sometimes three BIG boats are packed every morning (at least in the high season). I also don't think it's a local decision...I suspect it's made at Head Office of either Dressel or Iberostar (both based in Spain). Why?? Anybody's guess.
Hopefully it will all blow over by next winter. Everyone on the island should be trying to keep the tourist happy after all.
On second thought, we've been wanting to try the Grand !!

Len:
I really don't think they're trying to get more business for Dressel...they already have more than they can handle. Two and sometimes three BIG boats are packed every morning (at least in the high season). I also don't think it's a local decision...I suspect it's made at Head Office of either Dressel or Iberostar (both based in Spain). Why?? Anybody's guess.

...both based in Spain... I think you've answered your own question, Len.

Back
Top Bottom