Do NOT book at Iberostar if you want to dive with Blue XT Sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

awap:
Why was it pulled?

Why was it reposted?

If you have something useful but potentially controversial to post, is it better to just post it on a less censored board and just post links on Scubaboard?

This has already been covered by Christi. Please read the entire thread before attempting to hijaak it by accusing us of censorship. The topic of this thread is Iberostar and dive ops, let's try to stay on topic...

Christi,

I understand yours and other shops decsition to boycott the Iberostar. I'm curious though if you really think that will wind up hurting or helping them? Very few divers travel, properly informed. Most pick a hotel, then a dive op, not the other way around. Does this move not just drive potential customers to use the in-house operation?

Have you considered accepting divers from IB but informing them that they will have to pay the hotel for you to pick them up? I.E. make them pay the hotel directly and then the hotel will get the flack directly from their customers?

James

James Goddard:
This has already been covered by Christi. Please read the entire thread before attempting to hijaak it by accusing us of censorship. The topic of this thread is Iberostar and dive ops, let's try to stay on topic...

hotel will get the flack directly from their customers?

James

If this needs to move to a new thread please help me move it. I'm working off of posts #s 7 & 8 which are focused on pulled threads rather than Iberostar and dive ops.

I did read Christi's post explaining WHAT happened to the thread. I am assuming that the MOD initiated contact with Christi on pulling her thread, not visa versa. So I believe I understand WHAT happened and that it was done with the consent of the thread initiator, but I still don't understand WHY. I do understand that such questions do not have to be answered and can be erradicated at will. But the question stands.

WHY?

James Goddard:

Christi,

I understand yours and other shops decsition to boycott the Iberostar. I'm curious though if you really think that will wind up hurting or helping them? Very few divers travel, properly informed. Most pick a hotel, then a dive op, not the other way around. Does this move not just drive potential customers to use the in-house operation?

Have you considered accepting divers from IB but informing them that they will have to pay the hotel for you to pick them up? I.E. make them pay the hotel directly and then the hotel will get the flack directly from their customers?

James

Hi James,

That was my initial approach. However, the hotel is asking us for completely inappropriate documentation that I simply will not provide.They will not simply take payment at the time of service, they are billing the dive shops and will not permit access without the documentation they are requesting. They claim that the documentation request comes from upper management and is for the safety of their guests. My exceptions to this are:
1. In order for me to maintain park permits, all of this safety documentation is already required. You simply cannot operate within the marine park without permits.
2. My tax returns have absolutely no relevance to the safety of their guests and they have no business or right asking for them.
3. They have changed their story several times as to why they are charging the fee. They blame it on the dive shop, the dive shop blames it on them, and now they claim that the local governmnt is requiring them to charge this fee for rebuilding the damage done to the pier after Ivan. Yes, for safety reasons they had to repair the pier, so did other hotels, yet they are the ONLY hotel on the island that charges for pick-ups for THEIR guests. The guests are already paying for the amenities at the hotel, and the pier should be no exception. When speaking to the PR manager of the hotel about this situation, I said fine, we'll just pull up to the beach on the side and pick up our divers. She said, "No, you cannot do that because it is within the marine park." Yes, so is every other beach along the western and southern coast and there are absolutly no regulations that prevent us from doing this. So you see, they are clearly attempting to manipulate the situation.

As far as informing people of the situation. Since I work by reservation only, I tell them up front when they contact me. If they are already booked at the hotel, I will offer to pick them up at the beach or at another location at their expense. I had a couple that had been booked with me for many, many montsh and was already booked at the Iberostar in January, so I made an exception and we just dealt with the problems. However, they were the last people I have/will pick up at Iberostar.

There are still shops that pick up there and have either cooperated or simply don't care and pull up to the pier regardless of what the guard says, but I would rather not have any problems and send a subtle message by boycotting service to the hotel.

awap:
If this needs to move to a new thread please help me move it. I'm working off of posts #s 7 & 8 which are focused on pulled threads rather than Iberostar and dive ops.

I did read Christi's post explaining WHAT happened to the thread. I am assuming that the MOD initiated contact with Christi on pulling her thread, not visa versa. So I believe I understand WHAT happened and that it was done with the consent of the thread initiator, but I still don't understand WHY. I do understand that such questions do not have to be answered and can be erradicated at will. But the question stands.

WHY?

Christi said it in plain English... so Chuck can post it on his own using HIS words.

awap:

WHY?

It was because the information was second-hand, and it contained some points that were a bit unflattering to a dive op, and Christi runs a competing dive op. It was more appropriate that the originator of the text post it himself. Nothing more sinister than that.

Can we cut off this hijack now?

ggunn:
It was because the information was second-hand, and it contained some points that were a bit unflattering to a dive op, and Christi runs a competing dive op. It was more appropriate that the originator of the text post it himself. Nothing more sinister than that.

Can we cut off this hijack now?

EXACTLY what Gordon said! Thank you for putting it in very clear terms Gordon!

Christi:
2. My tax returns have absolutely no relevance to the safety of their guests and they have no business or right asking for them.

Ouch...that's amazing. Tax returns, jeez.

Christi:
3. She said, "No, you cannot do that because it is within the marine park." Yes, so is every other beach along the western and southern coast and there are absolutly no regulations that prevent us from doing this. So you see, they are clearly attempting to manipulate the situation.

Heh, yea, I see why it's not worth the battle. I hope this information is spread to the many other Cozumel and travel forums. I'd hate to see them succeed in this scheme.

Christi:
There are still shops that pick up there and have either cooperated or simply don't care and pull up to the pier regardless of what the guard says, but I would rather not have any problems and send a subtle message by boycotting service to the hotel.

Probably the latter. My guess is that the other shops know the IB doesn't have a leg to stand on, but you are in a much more precarious position than some because of your nationality.

Thanks for answering, I completely understand your situation...

James

James Goddard:
Ouch...that's amazing. Tax returns, jeez.

Heh, yea, I see why it's not worth the battle. I hope this information is spread to the many other Cozumel and travel forums. I'd hate to see them succeed in this scheme.

Probably the latter. My guess is that the other shops know the IB doesn't have a leg to stand on, but you are in a much more precarious position than some because of your nationality.

Thanks for answering, I completely understand your situation...

James

Yes...Nail, meet head :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom