DIY Thumb Reel line keeper- Easy SMB deploy/stow

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I appreciate all the positive comments and views of those that can see the simplicity and practicality of what I presented. I never laid claim that everyone should adopt the idea. Quite frankly I expected a little critique, but not a full blown assault on skill deficiencies. Ingenuity and creativity are what drives society forward. All it takes is a look into history where some of the most brilliant minds and creations were viewed as charlatans, freaks, and of no social value. It took those with a practical mind to accept and embrace ingenuity and realize the potential and in turn are necessities we all live by today.

Go on with your bad self, bro.

Next time if the condition were to call for SMB use, I'd give your method a whirl and see how it works out. It could be good for me or it could be bad for me. I've done the old fashion way a few times. It worked for me, but I ain't aversed to changing and learning new thing.

I even got me a pair of solid paddles (Dive Rite) the other day!!! We shall see if they're as good as my Atomic split fins.

So, how is the clip used to wind the spool (if that method is used) and why?

YouTube - SCUBA: SMB Deployment

Shows a little in this video, looked around for more but couldn't find any more in depth retrieval. I just didn't see the logic for having or using it. Just seemed like an unnecessary piece of equipment when you can just grip the reel or feed a loop through the side of the reel and back over the spool if it needed to be temporarily released mid depth. The only exception I see a little benefit to using the double ender is in big thick gloves. I have no experience diving in them so it's really only an educated guess.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom