DIY Thumb Reel line keeper- Easy SMB deploy/stow

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's a nice project...and is certainly well designed. I can't help think that it's a solution to a problem that doesn't exist though.

A loop at the end of the line is fine for attaching the reel and only takes seconds. Having the reel separate from the DSMB allows it to be utilised for many other applications, if needed. This was the original point behind the finger reel. :D

Great project! I think I would opt for a clip as opposed to the shackle thou..

One question for you; as you ascend, do you plan to just wrap the line on the outside of the webbing/velcro keeper??

One question for you; as you ascend, do you plan to just wrap the line on the outside of the webbing/velcro keeper??

If I follow your question correctly, the velcro piece I added stays at the top near the SMB when deployed. So while ascending and wrapping when I get to the surface and "line keeper", it just acts as the final wrap and closes off the spool to keep it from inadvertently un-spooling.

For the type of diving I currently do, I have yet to use a spool and did not see the need for a clip.

That looks like another solution looking for a problem. For the life of me i cant think of any issue at all this "fixes".

I, too, rarely decide to carry one of the "bulky" reels, but I opted for a slightly different solution. I wound my cord around a commercial "glow stick", attached a whistle and clip, secured it with a sturdy elastic band (neoprene) and then folded the entire thing into a trim pouch that is afixed to my BCD harness. I've deployed it many times and have never had trouble getting it out or rewinding it, and the elastic band stays with the glowstick which can be attached to the top of my marker. The whistle is just for some added security.

But your design is sleek and simple and shows good thought. Well done.

That's a nice project...and is certainly well designed. I can't help think that it's a solution to a problem that doesn't exist though.

A loop at the end of the line is fine for attaching the reel and only takes seconds. Having the reel separate from the DSMB allows it to be utilised for many other applications, if needed. This was the original point behind the finger reel. :D

I thought about the self cinching loop, if we are thinking the same thing, there is some possibility for the cord to come unraveled.

That looks like another solution looking for a problem. For the life of me i cant think of any issue at all this "fixes".

I wasn't going so much for a "solution to any major problem". I wanted a simple to use and compact "SMB kit". Something I didn't have to worry about fumbling with reels, knots, clips, digging in pockets, or putting items together at depth.

1. Un-clip from D-ring on BC.
2. Undo velcro strap from SMB, reel pops off but cord remains secured.
3. Undo velcro strap from reel.
4. Deploy SMB.
5. Ascend and retrieve line.
6. Secure cord on the reel at the surface with the final wrap of cord.
7. Hand off to deck hand, board boat.
8. Deflate, re-roll, attach reel, clip to BC.
Done, nice and simple.....

Cant see whats wrong with:
i) "unclip SMB and spool from d-rings"
ii) put spool through DSMB strap and through itself via the loop
(iii) undo DSMB velco
(iv) Fill DSMB
(v) Ascend using the above boltsnap to wind line in or lock at a depth if required.

Cant see whats wrong with:
i) "unclip SMB and spool from d-rings"
ii) put spool through DSMB strap and through itself via the loop
(iii) undo DSMB velco
(iv) Fill DSMB
(v) Ascend using the above boltsnap to wind line in or lock at a depth if required.

While you are fumbling with multiple clips, components, locations, D-rings, tying loops and whatnot, hopefully not dropping any of the separate components. Mine will already be on its way to the surface with 1 clip and 2 straps of velcro being undone. If we are comparing the number of steps your "i" should count as 2 steps since it really is 2 different actions. Essentially leading to the same number of steps in each of our examples. If you are comfortable with your way that is ok. It just goes to show there is no "one" perfect way for everyone. The seas were up, I had an idea, and some extra "stuff" laying around. This was the result, it worked for me, and maybe it will help someone else out that is interested in a easy little DIY project.:D

Hey, if your device works for you then that's all what matters.

Heaven forbids if somebody were to come up with his/her own solution, right?

While you are fumbling with multiple clips, components, locations, D-rings, tying loops and whatnot, hopefully not dropping any of the separate components. Mine will already be on its way to the surface with 1 clip and 2 straps of velcro being undone. If we are comparing the number of steps your "i" should count as 2 steps since it really is 2 different actions. Essentially leading to the same number of steps in each of our examples. If you are comfortable with your way that is ok. It just goes to show there is no "one" perfect way for everyone. The seas were up, I had an idea, and some extra "stuff" laying around. This was the result, it worked for me, and maybe it will help someone else out that is interested in a easy little DIY project.:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom