DIY Thumb Reel line keeper- Easy SMB deploy/stow

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Both my DSMB's are pre-rigged.

If this had a DIR tag on it the cattle would flock to it and it would be praised as the new gold standard.....

FYI.... I had never had any problems shooting a silly SMB, this just made it all that much easier. (for me)

If this had a DIR tag on it the cattle would flock to it and it would be praised as the new gold standard.....

Except it never would, because it is a needlessly complicated solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

It is a nice project. It is well designed. It just isn't necessary.

FYI.... I had never had any problems shooting a silly SMB, this just made it all that much easier. (for me)

Has anyone said that you shouldn't use it? :idk:

First you are designing DSMB solutions to problems that don't exist.... now you are defending against accusations that don't exist..... :wink:

You opted the use of a bolt snap, I opted for velcro.... There Is NOTHING that is NEEDLESSLY complicated about either. You stated it here and in another thread saying it just another way to throw gear at a deficiency in skill. Try reading the entire post and why it was done. I have deployed it and it is faster and easier than any other method I have tried in the past.

Last edited:
Does that prove whether your contraption is efficient, or whether your mastery of a simple finger-reel DSMB deployment was inefficient?

That looks like another solution looking for a problem. For the life of me i cant think of any issue at all this "fixes".
Your's is just a criticism looking for a victim. For the life of me I can't see any problems with this set up. It's smooth, well thought out and simple enough. 50 foot is perfect for most applications. I really like it.

It's nice that you champion bad diving practices.

Diving to 120' with a garden hose hookah pipe works for me..... is that what I should do? :rofl3:
I certainly don't understand how the use of an SMB can be considered a bad diving practice? Is it just that it's different?

You opted the use of a bolt snap, I opted for velcro.... There Is NOTHING that is NEEDLESSLY complicated about either. You stated it here and in another thread saying it just another way to throw gear at a deficiency in skill. Try reading the entire post and why it was done. I have deployed it and it is faster and easier than any other method I have tied in the past.
Just tell them you used bungees to hold it together and they will really go through the top. :D I love it! Where did you get the tiny spool?

Back
Top Bottom