DIY Thumb Reel line keeper- Easy SMB deploy/stow

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While you are fumbling with multiple clips, components, locations, D-rings, tying loops and whatnot, hopefully not dropping any of the separate components.

Rubbish. 1 bolt snap attached to 1 D-ring isnt exactly fumbling with multiple clips and connections is it. And what exactly is going to get dropped in this? There's nothing else in the way!

Any semi competent diver can unclip, prepare and launch a bag in 20-30 seconds at most.

If you want to invent pointless and unnecessary methods then thats fine but i cant see a use for it.

It can join things like bio-filters, dental gel, delayedaid and other things as solutions awaiting a problem.

Rubbish. 1 bolt snap attached to 1 D-ring isnt exactly fumbling with multiple clips and connections is it. And what exactly is going to get dropped in this? There's nothing else in the way!
Ah, if only I had a dollar for every time a student dropped a double ender. I could use a $20.00 bill about now! :d

Yeah, this appears to be a lot simpler, especially for new divers. Your self induced myopia precludes you from seeing an elegant solution to a common problem. You can be sure that I will be testing it out BEFORE I castigate it or the developer.

Your's is just a criticism looking for a victim. For the life of me I can't see any problems with this set up. It's smooth, well thought out and simple enough. 50 foot is perfect for most applications. I really like it.

It's called "not-invented-here" syndrome. If they didn't think of it. If their group of people didn't think of it or don't use it then it can't possibly be good.

Heaven forbids if somebody were to come up with an idea and dared to display it to the public without going through them for review and approval.:rofl3:

Do your thing, brother. Do your thing. It may be good or it may be not good, but at least you're a thinking diver and not a lemming.

As far as not dropping bolt snaps or letting finger reels slipped out of your graps, don't you know that every diver is suppose to have Spider-Man reflexes and that they're all suppose to have skills of divers with 1000+ dives? Heaven forbids that new divers aren't skilled in certain tasks.

It's called "not-invented-here" syndrome. If they didn't think of it. If their group of people didn't think of it or don't use it then it can't possibly be good.

Heaven forbids if somebody were to come up with an idea and dared to display it to the public without going through them for review and approval.:rofl3:

Do your thing, brother. Do your thing. It may be good or it may be not good, but at least you're a thinking diver and not a lemming.

As far as not dropping bolt snaps or letting finger reels slipped out of your graps, don't you know that every diver is suppose to have Spider-Man reflexes and that they're all suppose to have skills of divers with 1000+ dives? Heaven forbids that new divers aren't skilled in certain tasks.

How about this?

...a complicated system would compound difficulties, and that equipment had to facilitated their efforts, not complicate them.

Nice One!

Then go back to the old timey days of double-hoses, no BC, no pressure gauge, no nothing, bare bone diving. Talk about elegance in simplicity.:idk:

You might have missed the invisible :sarcasm: tags in my post.

Diving to 120' with a garden hose hookah pipe works for me..... is that what I should do? :rofl3:

Only if we can post it on YouTube :D.

Does that prove whether your contraption is efficient, or whether your mastery of a simple finger-reel DSMB deployment was inefficient?

Just because OP has a convenient way for him to do it, what makes you think he is lacking in skill?

Every boat dive I do, somebody is shooting a marker. Me or buddy. A spool or reel serves no other purpose for me (or OP I suspect). Both my markers are pre-rigged. My 6 footer to a reel and my backup 3 footer to a spool.

I know I or my buddy will be shooting a marker on every dive and I will never otherwise use a reel or spool. It would be silly to add the "tasks" of unclipping, clipping, threading, looping, unclipping to prepare my marker.

If you don't need it, don't take it along. If I don't need a spool for any other reason than shooting a marker, why would I keep it unriggerd in pocket? If I don't need to rig a marker underwater, Why would I?

My simple logic behind my intentions are as follows:

This reel can remain on the SMB with NO possibility of un-spooling during ANY part of the dive.

It can be kept together as a SIMPLE "kit", and is ready to deploy at a moments notice.

It is so SIMPLE it could be deployed and stowed with my eyes closed, going by "feel".

It requires "LESS" thought, motions, and energy to deploy and stow.

I eliminated that Useless double ender. If you need a TOOL to wind cord on a spool maybe its time to question your skill??? (aside from extra thick gloved divers)...

1 clip, 2 straps of velcro, a shot of air and this thing is on its way up. How is this not viewed as easier?

The line is re-secured at the surface effortlessly with no worry about the spool heading back to the deep.

It's simplicity can be of benefit in a high stress, task loaded, extreme seas, and zero viz conditions....

I appreciate all the positive comments and views of those that can see the simplicity and practicality of what I presented. I never laid claim that everyone should adopt the idea. Quite frankly I expected a little critique, but not a full blown assault on skill deficiencies. Ingenuity and creativity are what drives society forward. All it takes is a look into history where some of the most brilliant minds and creations were viewed as charlatans, freaks, and of no social value. It took those with a practical mind to accept and embrace ingenuity and realize the potential and in turn are necessities we all live by today.

Back
Top Bottom