DIY neutral wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@aquacat8 you can still do the equipment doffing, hell I did it in a drysuit with no extra ballast. It can be done, just have to deal with it and not let go!

sucks about your 72's, I just had 4 of mine stolen a few months ago when my dive trailer was taken. If you're having back problems though, the SS plate is definitely the way to go. Depending on how much lead you are wearing, the DSS plate with the ballast plates may be a good answer. With the medium plate, total negative ballast is 14lbs and it's all on your back.

I know many divers who dive sidemount specifically because of lower back issues. They aren't doing anything more than rec diving over reefs but the added comfort has allowed them to continue to dive rather than being forced to stop doing something they love.

Last edited:
Great advice and things to try...thanks!

tbone1004 Do your shorter (5’4”) students prefer a short backplate?

yes, many have gone to Deep Sea Supply to get proper fitting backplates, both those short and quite tall. I can't dive a standard backplate without my arms going numb at the surface but the long pattern puts everything where it is supposed to be.

single tank sidemount may be a good option as well, but you still have to put the lead somewhere on your harness and that is typically on the back. It helps by not having to carry the tank, but you still have to carry all of the lead

Shorter no is awesome for short people. Halcyon also makes a short bp. My wife is 5'2 and it makes a world of difference

Thanks for the plate size feedback... I’d hate to get the wrong fit!

I wish someone would make a merino wool lined 5mm and 7mm wetsuit. That would make a huge difference in reducing positive buoyancy. I have a 3mm merino wool lined wetsuit from Pinnacle that is 100% neutrally buoyant. In fact, it is slightly negative. That is about a 6lb-7lb reduction in lead requirement from a standard 3mm neoprene wetsuit when I tested them against each other.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom