Diving with men

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cdiver2:
women are from venus ? Every perosn on this planet is different. If you expect your buddy to abort the dive without a problem because your cold then you should have no problem aborting the dive if he used up his air before you, yes ?

Absolutely. But I have to be almost frozen to abort a dive for that reason.

"I for one have never been a “If you are lucky I might let you scratch me” kinda person. I know many women who are very much not like that. If those are the only women you have been around then you need to get a new source to find women. And, a lot of men can’t handle an unconditionally devoted, protective, intelligent woman who depends on you… who gives without demands."

I agree with that.

" Women like cats because of the affection and the response that what they are doing is appreciated. When I scratch my cat, he purrs and gives me affection back."

I am more of a dog person. I have both but I really enjoy my dogs company more than I do my cats company. My dogs can entertain me for hours, give me company when i need it, enjoy my cooking (even if others don't), they entertain themselves and me just by wacthing them, all in all dogs are so much better than cats. LOL

"But, I will tell you this - this whole issue is just that. An issue, something people make into a big deal that really isn't. This whole men/women as a buddy thing with respect to capability is over worked and tired."

Agreed but it is so much fun to see peoples opinions.

" I will tell you that the (dive) gear is sometimes cumbersome for me to handle because I am small and all my gear weighs almost the same as I. This only means it may take me an extra trip when someone else would make one less. "

Not me I will bring a buddy to help, so i dont have to make that extra trip. hehe

"So, everyone should figure out how to row together and enjoy the ride at the same time instead of debating who’s the better rower; who is the intentional slacker; who expects the other to do all the rowing; etc. BTW, if you find yourself in a situation where you are doing all the rowing and you feel you should not be, you should talk to the person you are supposed to be rowing with. Communicate and things with work better. And, if you have a problem helping another diver with their gear then you should address that problem directly."

Couldnt have said it better. And that goes for all aspects of life not just diving.

ANA

Ps

"On a lighter note, yes I have complained about breaking a nail on a dive trip."

Me too. :wavey:

You have to learn to give and take you can-not have it all one way.
Many years ago I asked a young lady out that ran my LDS. On our first date I opend the door to the restaurant for her and she looked at me and asked " why did you do that I have two perfectly good arms". I had just moved to the US from Europe and this was the first time I had run into womens lib, I did-not know what to say.
A while later we did our first dive together after the dive I was changed and had my gear back to the car a long walk. And then waited outside the ladys changing room for her as we walked back to the car she said " you could give me a hand carrying my gear" and I replied " why you have two perfectly good arms dont you ?".
After this we got on a lot better I opend doors and helped with gear.
If you want to be treated like a lady then act like one.

The cat and dog analogy was meant as tongue in cheek humor, although there is a shred of truth to it amongst some. I am quite aware that there are people of both genders whom are quite boorish....I used to give guys a hard time at dance clubs for the manner in which they treated women like chattel, so I am not a partisan. I have met very attractive women who thanked me after physical intimacy, what a find women are who have personalities like that, but they are a rarity, so all the more to be cherished....

I thought my cat was in love with me because she always rubbed up against my legs, then I discovered she was 4 time cheating on me with the legs of my dining room table....

Wrinkles, your dogs are a crackup, I love pugs......the photo was highly pixelated though.....pugs are a trip as they are so ugly you can't help but love them.... :)

Does acting like a lady constitute having a man open a door for you or asking you to help carry my gear?

I personally think I am very much a lady. I have also been a little bit of a tomboy but no less a lady. I have some very masculine personality traits but I am no less a lady. If I throw a tank up on my shoulder and hoof it to the boat does that make me less of a lady? Or if I bat my eyes and talk you into doing it for me... what does that make me then? Hahaha

I don't think acting like a lady has much to do with luggin' dive gear or being a good dive buddy or you doing both for me. I guarantee if you see me puttin' on my wetsuit you would think not only am I a female but I am definately a lady. And, when I out dive you on a wreck you might even say DAMN what a lady.

Sometimes I open my own door and sometimes I step back and let "him" do it. Maybe you are referring to her comments of sarcasim or possibly wit as unlady like. I am not really sure what you constitute as acting like a "lady." I am curious though. :) R

PS DrysuitDave, Your analogy was so noted as humor and rebutted with the same. Hahahaha --- Shuuhhh I will tell you all a secret. My cat is quite the bed hog; and if I am going to tolerate a bed hog I would rather it not be my cat. :D Furthermore, I would be so very happy to share that with an SO dive buddy. :wink:

cdiver2:
You have to learn to give and take you can-not have it all one way.
Many years ago I asked a young lady out that ran my LDS. On our first date I opend the door to the restaurant for her and she looked at me and asked " why did you do that I have two perfectly good arms". I had just moved to the US from Europe and this was the first time I had run into womens lib, I did-not know what to say.
A while later we did our first dive together after the dive I was changed and had my gear back to the car a long walk. And then waited outside the ladys changing room for her as we walked back to the car she said " you could give me a hand carrying my gear" and I replied " why you have two perfectly good arms dont you ?".
After this we got on a lot better I opend doors and helped with gear.
If you want to be treated like a lady then act like one.

cdiver2:
On our first date I opend the door to the restaurant for her and she looked at me and asked " why did you do that I have two perfectly good arms". I had just moved to the US from Europe and this was the first time I had run into womens lib, I did-not know what to say.

No wonder men can be so cynical about us............Sometimes, I seriously wonder about other members of my gender. Some of them sure make the rest of us look bad.

I'd have to say that both comments she made to you were on the rude side.

smrtblnddiver:
No wonder men can be so cynical about us............Sometimes, I seriously wonder about other members of my gender. Some of them sure make the rest of us look bad.

I'd have to say that both comments she made to you were on the rude side.

Agreed!

First I dont see how watching you put a wetsuit on can give me any indication as to you beeing a you a lady or not, I dont know what you look like but if you are saying ?!! being beautiful and slinky makes you a lady then in my books you are way of base. I have seen ladys that are on the lets say large side and on the plain side but have been the impiety of the word lady.
On the other hand I have seen the drop dead gorgeous that bat there eye lids and would have a hard time calling them a woman let alone lady.
You hit the nail on the head when you said "referrining to her sarcasisam" and thats what it was, as I said you can-not have your cake and eat it but a lot of women try.
I was raised with manners and to be a gentleman I will open the door / help carry gear for male or female including none ladys, ONCE if I get a lot of crap about it, I dont expect to be rewarded for it other than a thank you nor do I expect to be put down for it. In other words I dont give a dam if you put a sack of coal on your back and hump it over the rockys just dont belittle me for OFFERING to help.

No insult intended but with your statment " And when I out dive you on a wreck " you sound like what women call a man that makes statments like that " a matcho bigot" . You may out dive me and then you may not but I would never be that brave or stupid to make that statment to man or woman, and I was wreck diving in the waters around the british Isles in 1971 with a 25lb tool bag and lift bags but still maintain there are people, men and women that could out dive me.

cdiver2 you bring a smile to my face. Hahahaha

cdiver2:
First I dont see how watching you put a wetsuit on can give me any indication as to you beeing a you a lady or not, I dont know what you look like but if you are saying ?!!
I was joking as men and women dawn wetsuits very differently that's all. Ladies too. Nothing to do with size of a woman, well except for adjustments. Hahaha

being beautiful and slinky makes you a lady then in my books you are way of base.
Not at all. Being a lady has little to do with outer beauty or being slinky. What would make you think that?

On the other hand I have seen the drop dead gorgeous that bat there eye lids and would have a hard time calling them a woman let alone lady.
My point exactly.

You hit the nail on the head when you said "referrining to her sarcasisam" and thats what it was, as I said you can-not have your cake and eat it but a lot of women try.
She just messed up that's all I can say. BTW, I would want you to open my door. However, what would you think of a guy who when a woman waited for him to open the door he replied, "What's wrong, your arm broke?" Yes, I've heard that before. Then I heard dumb blonde jokes because I "didn't know how to open the door." but that's a whole separate issue. LOL

I was raised with manners and to be a gentleman I will open the door / help carry gear for male or female including none ladys, ONCE if I get a lot of crap about it, I dont expect to be rewarded for it other than a thank you nor do I expect to be put down for it. In other words I dont give a dam if you put a sack of coal on your back and hump it over the rockys just dont belittle me for OFFERING to help.

I agree!

No insult intended but with your statment " And when I out dive you on a wreck " you sound like what women call a man that makes statments like that " a matcho bigot" . You may out dive me and then you may not but I would never be that brave or stupid to make that statment to man or woman, and I was wreck diving in the waters around the british Isles in 1971 with a 25lb tool bag and lift bags but still maintain there are people, men and women that could out dive me.

My comment was merely a joke. I don't ever really expect to out dive anyone. I would much rather enjoy diving with you instead. I was just curious as to what you felt was acting lady like.

My suggestion to you if I may is, continue to be you. Let the rest fall where it may. The friend you mentioned earlier missed out on a nice guy being nice to her. I am glad things worked out better later for you.

I will go back to my comments earlier that it is better to row together. I would much rather be a partner, a buddy, a friend than a user or a door mat. : ) R

RAVENC. Must admit I got a little prickly under the skin I try to walk the middle of the road and take people as I find them. I took a look at your quals after my last post MUST ADMIT Im impressed never done nitrox or cave and gave up wrecking after I moverd to Florida. All the wrecks I dived at the other side of the pond were natural not artificial reefs, no gold or ships fittings all my dreams dashed HA well as you guys say "thats the way the cookie crumbles. I love reef diving now seeing all the great life on it, stuff I never saw when I was into wrecks. Just go"s to show what you lose on the swings you gain on the roundabout as mum used to say.
Good diving
David

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom