Diving timepieces - split from A New Piece Of Diving Equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Never mind, Wiki had the answer.

My first dive watch was a Candino with a internal bezel (I was 12 and a newly certified diver).

In 1972, after completing the Navy Diver training program, I purchased a used Rolex Submariner. Three years later, it was blown-up in the decompression chamber at DCIEM.

So, tell me, is the helium release valve needed due to spending time in saturation? I've never understood why you'd need one if you're wearing the thing outside on your drysuit, regardless of what you were breathing.

Guy

The valve is for ascent after spending time in a chamber. Helium is so small that it will "leak" into the watch, which is designed to hold pressure out, not it, resulting in problems on ascent if it is not vented.

The valve is for ascent after spending time in a chamber. Helium is so small that it will "leak" into the watch, which is designed to hold pressure out, not it, resulting in problems on ascent if it is not vented.

Yup, that was the answer in Wiki I referred to, but thanks.

Guy

I now collect cheap dive watches.

I used to own a Rolex Submariner, but it is now in the sand somewhere around the Spiegel Grove in Key Largo. A really long stupid story, I will tell someday if anyone is interested...

I have several Dive watches in the $300 retail or less range, but I typically wear a St. Moritz Format 2.
I have 6 of them, and buy every one I can find, as they are no longer made.
I like them because they are analog/digital, titanium, small and thin, have an alarm, stopwatch, screw down crown, sapphire crystal, a yachting timer, day date digits, a bezel for timing a frozen pizza in the oven, glow like crazy at night, and have a backlight.
I dive with whatever is on my wrist at the time, and if it cannot survive the trip, then it desrves to die.
I am thinking if I get through this recession alive, my next watch will be the Tissot Sea-Touch.

Chug
Likes cheap dive watches

The reason latex helium party balloons don't stay inflated very long.

I used to own a Rolex Submariner, but it is now in the sand somewhere around the Spiegel Grove in Key Largo. A really long stupid story, I will tell someday if anyone is interested...
It's got to be a better and less-stupid story than the one I can tell about leaving a Rolex Submariner hanging on the shower faucet at the gym.

...the answer in Wiki, but thanks.

My first Rolex (a Submariner) didn't have the valve (I don't think it was available in 1972?) I had successfully accomplished Heliox dives in the chamber for more than two years without a problem; then one day it actually blew-up. Little parts all over the place. Boy were the technicians p*ssed! There's not much oil in the watch, but they had to scrub-out the chamber. I meekly collected the parts and slunk out of the complex to go out the next day and purchase a Sea Dweller. It was the damnedest thing; scared the hell out of me. I still got a few dirty looks when I returned to show everyone my new watch. LOL

A nice reproduction of the Hamilton and Bulova "canteen" watches issued to the UDT during World War Two and Korea.

Attachments

• Navy canteen watch.JPG
    Navy canteen watch.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 41
Love my Freestyle Hammerhead... and yes I set the bezel for each dive.

I have a number of watches for surface, but I always have my Ball Engineer Hydrocarbon with me on dives.

It is kind of a thing now... I wouldn't get wet without it...

dm2036ascabks.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom