Descending/restarting ascent at end of dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

steinbil

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
On my last dive, after a pretty moderate NDL exposure of 45min at an avg depth of 17m (~55ft) I started a slow ascent with my two buddies. One buddy lost a double ender on the ascent at around 5m (~16ft). I saw it dropping and land on the sand bottom at 10-11m (30-35ft). I quickly popped down to get it for him since he had an SMB up, and ascended again to rejoin my buddies at 5m to continue our slow ascent to the surface.

As far as I know, such a small bounce after a moderate N2 loading shouldn't pose any problems, especially not with a final slow ascent, but it did make me think about how much the variables of exposure and depth of bounce would need to change before it starts becoming problematic.

Another example:
5 divers split into two groups descend to do a dive together. Me and my buddy descended together down to 15m (~49ft). We stabilize and start approaching the other group that turns out to be a complete mess. One diver is popping to the surface, the other two are stirring up the silt swimming back and forth along the bottom and flashlights are swinging everywhere. We abort the dive, I do a slow ascent with my buddy and rejoin the other divers on the surface at around 15 minutes of elapsed total dive time. I agree with my buddy for us to do a dive without the other group, and we descend to 30m and have a nice 40 minute dive crawling up along a wall.

Again, with the minimal N2 loading of maybe 10 minutes at a maximum of 15m, I don't think there's a problem with restarting the dive without a surface interval.

My questions are:
1 - am I wrong in my assessment? Are any of these examples considered risky?

2 - it is my understanding that the major issue with descending after an ascent, is the possibility of gas bubbles being recompressed and passing over into the arterial blood flow, and that this is an important reason for the mandatory surface interval - is this correct? Are there other considerations?*

3 - Where do you draw the line?
A) In the first case: what are the limits of exposure and bounce you would be comfortable with?*
B) In the second case: how much of an exposure would you say warrants a mandatory surface interval?

4 - Or am I completely overthinking this out of proportion, surface intervals are not necessary when diving with a computer on NDL dives and bounces are not a problem?

*I expect that for deco dives this will be more problematic both in terms of available gas (if you were to redo any deco stops) and also in terms of higher load and more chance of bubbles - ie. dive your plan, if you drop something, let it go...

On my last dive,..
What was your time, depths & profiles for the dives BEFORE your last dive and how many did you do the day before ?

On my last dive, after a pretty moderate NDL exposure of 45min at an avg depth of 17m (~55ft) I started a slow ascent with my two buddies. One buddy lost a double ender on the ascent at around 5m (~16ft).
@steinbil,

I'm not sure how I should interpret "... NDL exposure of 45 min at an avg depth of 17m (~55ft) ...". What was your max depth? And at what depth did you begin your ascent in earnest--you know, when you "... started a slow ascent with my two buddies ..."--and at what depth?

ETA: I read the rest of your post. For your second example, you did do a surface interval (since you ascended to the surface and were there for a while). When doing dives using tables there are a couple of rules for how to compute the residual nitrogen calculations for this type of example.

rx7diver

1/2/3: Off the top of my head the examples you gave aren't inherently risky. I would of course double check tables and even though you say there "isn't a surface interval" there usually always is some form of surface interval. Sometimes it might just be to get a breather and recompose to dive again or, most likely, at least do a tank swap. That usually burns a good 15-20 minutes. If you are really avoiding the surface interval (less than 10 minutes at the surface) I would calculate the second dive as just a continuation of the first dive. I'd make sure to use computers or calculate it with some sort of multi-level planner.

There are a lot of factors I would consider when deciding if I will make a bounce dive to retrieve dropped equipment including my air supply, my current depth, depth of dropped item, and water conditions (vis, currents, surge, etc). If in doubt I would surface, take a surface interval, and then go fetch the dropped gear. I think anything deeper than 20 m would make me think twice about bouncing down to get it. I would probably also extend my safety stop time if I were diving tables.

4: As I said, there is usually a surface interval. Anything less than 10 minutes and it would be calculated as a continuation of the first dive, anything more than 10 and you would calculate it as a second dive and always follow the most conservative computer.

What was your time, depths & profiles for the dives BEFORE your last dive and how many did you do the day before ?
Single dive. Not a repetitive dive. No dives in the last few days.

I would say all the risk factors are cumulative. Bounce dives are more dangerous. I don't worry about going up and down a few times, but I try to make sure my actual ascent rate is slow. And of course, I follow my computer and try not to violate the ascent rate it gives me.

If I do a very short bounce to 90 feet for 5 minutes, I am probably not going to do a safety stop on the first dive of the day. I try to keep track of the risk factors in my head, like exertion, thermal stress, number of previous dives, if I am tired, if I did a deep or bounce dive earlier in the day etc. and then use these factors in addition to the computer to perform the dive.

If you are going to be stupid, at least be careful. If you know you are doing something risky, try to cut yourself some slack elsewhere with reduced dive time, reduced ascent rate (as you approach the surface) and/or extended hang. You aren't going to know where the limit is until you cross it.

I'm not sure how I should interpret "... NDL exposure of 45 min at an avg depth of 17m (~55ft) ...". What was your max depth? And at what depth did you begin your ascent in earnest--you know, when you "... started a slow ascent with my two buddies ..."--and at what depth?
Checked the profile now: Max 22m (72ft). Started ascent from 21m (69ft) at 48minutes (I remembered 45 because that's when I signaled my buddy to shoot the SMB). We reached 6m after 5 minutes. That's where it happened, and I dropped down to 11m in 30 seconds, and back to 6m in 30 seconds (a little faster than I should have at 30ft/min). After that we did a 6 minute ascent from 6m.

I had EAN29-30 and yes, I felt very comfortable with both of these scenarios. I just hadn't really thought about what kind of scenarios I would want to avoid repeated descents/ascents before, other than the general advice about avoiding sawtooth profiles and making proper surface intervals after longer/deeper exposures. In the same vein I have also heard advice against repeatedly practicing ascents at the end of a dive. It just seems tricky to determine where the line should be drawn...

I can imagine it would be an interesting aspect of cave diving, where you can't control your profile. There must be some caves that would require more than one deco ascent, although that's a little outside the scope of this forum.

The sea owes me heaps of double enders see usually winding spools in an inclement sea see

Futzing around and it is close to the end of the dive, I'm relaxed but no way am I going back
down for anything, if it is a dive at those depths I'm low on air, and it messes with the karma

But if you happen across them they look like this

001.JPG

Oh yeah there's always the next dive or another dive anyway they fall in crevices so goodbye

Took two and a half years once to go get someones weight belt and next dive for other stuff

It just ain't worth it

Back
Top Bottom