Diving in Hawaii (Oahu and Big Island)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tphelps

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hello fellow divers!

I am thinking of transferring to either the University of Hawaii at Manoa or Hilo for undergraduate college to study marine biology. Can any one please give me some insight on diving on Oahu or the big island? (Other than the amazing dives like at Kona)

What cool things have you seen? Lots of biodiversity? Megafauna (sharks, whales, etc)? Water temp and viz?
If any other fellow pros are reading this, what sort of experiences have you had at the dive shops/staff there? (I would probably try to get a job at local dive shop)
Also, if you wouldn't mind sharing any knowledge of the University of Hawaii for Marine Bio that would be awesome!

Thank you for reading and posting! :D

I'll do that, thanks G!

Megafauna are animals above 100kg. So, that includes me...:D

Haha thanks santy2506 for backing my Marine Bio jargon :p

I'd suggest going to a California Community College, complete your GE requirements for transfer, and pick-up some useful & applicable job/vocational training to pad your curriculim vitae as well --look at Santa Barbara City College Marine Diving Technology Program: Marine Diving Technology: Welcome to Marine Diving - Santa Barbara City College

Why not just stay in California for your Undergrad (& Grad) education?

California Lutheran University [Biology Major focusing on research in marine biology] BA, BS
California State University, Long Beach BS, MS
California State University (Moss Landing Marine Laboratories) [Marine Science] MS
California State University Monterey Bay [Biology] BS, MS [Marine Science]
Humboldt State University [Fisheries Biology] BS, MS
San Diego State University - Ecology Program Area [Biology with emphasis in ecology and marine biology] BS
San Francisco State University [Biology: Marine Biology concentration] BS, MS
San Jose State University [Biology: Marine Biology concentration] BS
Sonoma State University BS, [MS Biology with concentrations such as Marine Ecology]
Stanford University/Hopkins Marine Station (undergraduate/graduate studies)
University of California Berkeley [Marine Science] BS , MA, PhD
University of California Los Angeles BS? MS?/PhD
University of California Santa Barbara [Aquatic Biology, Biology, Zoology, etc.] BA/BS , MA, PhD
University of California Santa Cruz BS
University of California San Diego/Scripps Institution of Oceanography , MS, PhD Marine Biodiversity and Conservation , PhD
University of San Diego [Marine Science] , [Marine Science] MS
University of Southern California "Progressive" Masters in Marine and Environmental Biology , MS [Marine and Environmental Biology], PhD [Marine Biology and Biological Oceanography]

I'd suggest going to a California Community College, complete your GE requirements for transfer, and pick-up some useful & applicable job/vocational training to pad your curriculim vitae as well --look at Santa Barbara City College Marine Diving Technology Program: Marine Diving Technology: Welcome to Marine Diving - Santa Barbara City College

Why not just stay in California for your Undergrad (& Grad) education?

California Lutheran University [Biology Major focusing on research in marine biology] BA, BS
California State University, Long Beach BS, MS
California State University (Moss Landing Marine Laboratories) [Marine Science] MS
California State University Monterey Bay [Biology] BS, MS [Marine Science]
Humboldt State University [Fisheries Biology] BS, MS
San Diego State University - Ecology Program Area [Biology with emphasis in ecology and marine biology] BS
San Francisco State University [Biology: Marine Biology concentration] BS, MS
San Jose State University [Biology: Marine Biology concentration] BS
Sonoma State University BS, [MS Biology with concentrations such as Marine Ecology]
Stanford University/Hopkins Marine Station (undergraduate/graduate studies)
University of California Berkeley [Marine Science] BS , MA, PhD
University of California Los Angeles BS? MS?/PhD
University of California Santa Barbara [Aquatic Biology, Biology, Zoology, etc.] BA/BS , MA, PhD
University of California Santa Cruz BS
University of California San Diego/Scripps Institution of Oceanography , MS, PhD Marine Biodiversity and Conservation , PhD
University of San Diego [Marine Science] , [Marine Science] MS
University of Southern California "Progressive" Masters in Marine and Environmental Biology , MS [Marine and Environmental Biology], PhD [Marine Biology and Biological Oceanography]

Hey Kevrumbo!
Seriously, I really really appreciate all this work you did for me, it means A LOT!!! The idea has definitely crossed my mind and I have been looking into literally every school you showed me. It is more of a choice of preference. Ive looked into the Cal States and have not been impressed with the UC system. Tuition is high and there have been lots of budget cuts. Hawaii is surprisingly affordable because being from California, I can participate in the WUE program which lets me pay "in-state" tuition.

I've also finished 2 years of undergrad so far. Since I want to go on for a PhD, that is a lot of years in grad school. So I want to the best quality education that I can in roughly the shortest amount of time. My primary plan is to transfer to UH Manoa or Hilo, and back up is CSULB or Monterey in the Spring of next year (because I missed transfer application deadlines for the fall). But I will look into more for Santa Barbara CC, I was not aware of this diving program they have.

Thank you again for all your help Kev!!! You rock!! :)

You might also want to check into the University of Guam, I understand they have a good marine biology program there and the water temps are 82 degrees!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom