Best Place to do become a DiveMaster in the US - Hawaii or Florida??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"natural progression" and since I felt like I learnt a lot during my Rescue Cert, but you gave me some food for thought and it seems to make more sense to just have some fun dives during that break instead of cramming a DM certification within a month

Most (if not all?) agencies have two paths of progression - pro (DM, AI, etc) and rec. Rec in PADI is called Master Diver (quite a few requirements there Master Scuba Diver™ | PADI). Five specialty courses needed on top of your AOW and RD.
If you are interested in a pro path (DM and such), try to find an op with internship option. As others stated earlier, this is a very competitive industry.
I feel like MSD may be a better path for you at this time. You can get those 5 required certs done at a leisurely pace anywhere you want (some in FL, some in HI?)

Hah - we have this running disagreement on Rainbow Reef

No running disagreement, they stole 600 dollars from me. It's a fact plain and simple. I'm convinced they did it because they know it will cost me more than that to file a suit in FL with my travel expenses. You have admitted that you used to work for them and likely still have connections with them.

Warning others of this is very related to the question asked.

If you don't plan on working as a dm don't bother with it. Take an intro to tech or advanced nitrox and deco procedures. Or take a NAUI or SEI Master Diver course. It will give you instructor level knowledge and skills without wasting time on the teaching component.
Once you get beyond rescue, if you don't plan on teaching or working as a dm, agency is irrelevant. Find an instructor that will get you into the diving you want to do at the highest level possible. And one who will fail you if you don't meet course and instructor standards.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom