DiveRite Sidemount Regulators - XT vs RG3ICE vs 212/DC1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While I'm asking....

I know I could get training and then service my regs if I bought Hog.

Is there any way to do anything like that with the DR XTs? Is there a class I can take? Can I get a service manual and follow it, without formal training? I am (in my own opinion, of course) very good with mechanical stuff, generally.

While I'm asking....

I know I could get training and then service my regs if I bought Hog.

Is there any way to do anything like that with the DR XTs? Is there a class I can take? Can I get a service manual and follow it, without formal training? I am (in my own opinion, of course) very good with mechanical stuff, generally.

The short answer is maybe. There was a thread when the XT came out that Dive Rite changed their policy and no longer provides service manuals to end users. That being said you may be able to find what you need or you can use a manual of a similar regulator as an example.

Edit: I would give Cave Adventurers a call also to get a second opinion. Edd may be able to beat DGX on price. My understanding is HOG, Dive Rite, and Hollis are all made by the same company so I would not expect huge differences in performance between them.

Thanks, I have already called and spoken with Jay at CA, too. And, yes, they do offer the DR XTs for less than DGX. And, of course, DGX doesn't even offer Hog any more. I didn't ask them about training, though.

---------- Post added August 13th, 2015 at 04:44 PM ----------

I really can't agree with this. To prevent free flow due to freezing, the key is to dissipate the "coldness" of the expanding gas into water as quickly as possible. That is why cold water regulator has heat sink or cooling fins on them. Also you want to use material with high heat capacity, so that it can absorb the sudden "coldness" due the short burst of expanding gas (during a breath or a purge). That is why brass is better than titanium, which are better than plastics.

How often, in your experience, do 2nd stages ice up before the 1st stage? I asked my Tech instructor how to tell if my recent free flows were 1st stage or 2nd stage problems and he said it would be hard to tell but in his experience free flows are usually a result of the 1st stage icing up. The more I think about my recent ones, the more I'm inclined to think they were from the 1st stage icing up, not the 2nd stage.

In other words, does the air barrel material in the 2nd stage REALLY matter (regarding cold water use)?

How often, in your experience, do 2nd stages ice up before the 1st stage? I asked my Tech instructor how to tell if my recent free flows were 1st stage or 2nd stage problems and he said it would be hard to tell but in his experience free flows are usually a result of the 1st stage icing up. The more I think about my recent ones, the more I'm inclined to think they were from the 1st stage icing up, not the 2nd stage.

In other words, does the air barrel material in the 2nd stage REALLY matter (regarding cold water use)?

In short, yes the second stage material does matter. You can get icing in the second stages. What was the water temp when you experienced the freeze ups and what were you doing?

38F at >60 feet. Trying to keep up with my instructor, who was diving wet and swimming as fast as he could to get the dive over with ASAP. Primary started to FF. I switched to alternate and kept swimming while cranking down the inhalation effort knob to try and get the FF to stop. While doing that, the alternate 2nd stage started to FF at the same time. With both of them in FF, I showed the guy behind me and signaled that I was going to the surface, then made a controlled ascent.

Initially you say only one of your second stages was free following - correct? You infer your alternate only started to free flow after use and exertion, not at the same time as primary.

I would expect if the 1st stage was stuck open (freezing or seat failed) then the IP (tank pressure up to 500 to 3000psi, IP ~140psi) will go up considerably and both 2nd stages will have a significant free flow. I have had a seat fail and there was a lot of gas free flowing.

Edit

Opps see this is sidemount thread, so two 1st stages. I would still say that the freeflow will be more significant if the 1st freezes than 2nd...

But are you diving sidemount? You refer to Primary and Alternate...

38F at >60 feet. Trying to keep up with my instructor, who was diving wet and swimming as fast as he could to get the dive over with ASAP. Primary started to FF. I switched to alternate and kept swimming while cranking down the inhalation effort knob to try and get the FF to stop. While doing that, the alternate 2nd stage started to FF at the same time. With both of them in FF, I showed the guy behind me and signaled that I was going to the surface, then made a controlled ascent.

Wow, 38 degrees at 60 feet. I have gone to depths twice that in springtime and the temp under the thermocline was only in the 40s. I could be wrong but it seems to me if the first stage was stuck open both second stages would start free flowing at around the same time. Your second stages could have froze up from the moisture in your breath. When you swapped second stages did you hit the purge or just exhaled to clear? A diver should always avoid purging in cold water as the rush of air lowers the temperature of the regulator.

As a side note I would really question the competence of a dive professional diving wet in 38 degree water and then rushing the dive because he is cold.

Ahhhh, yes. I can ALWAYS count on ScubaBoard to turn any thread into a "your instructor is incompetent" thread....

Anyway... I attribute the fact that both 2nds didn't FF simultaneously to the fact that I leave my alternate set to Pre-dive and with the inhalation effort knob turned a couple of turns away from the easiest setting, to help stop it from free flowing when I first jump in.

---------- Post added August 14th, 2015 at 12:22 AM ----------

Oh, and I always purge on an exchange by exhaling. I can't remember ever purging under water using the purge button since I finished OW class.

So your instructor did not realize that you have a free flow or two and had left. What did he/she said afterwards on:
1. The reason for fast swimming.
2. Free flow and the possible caused.
3. Ascent alone without notified the guide.

Anyway... I attribute the fact that both 2nds didn't FF simultaneously to the fact that I leave my alternate set to Pre-dive and with the inhalation effort knob turned a couple of turns away from the easiest setting, to help stop it from free flowing when I first jump in.

Can you confirm. You were diving single tank, only one fist stage?

"Pre-dive and with the inhalation effort knob turned a couple of turns away from the easiest setting" will not have any impact on a 1st stage free flow, 500-3000psi in the IP hose! Unless you tank pressure was about 140psi, and then with the free flow you would have an empty tank almost instantly.

Your second stages are the issue, assuming you are diving both on the 1 first stage.

Back
Top Bottom