Question Looking for advice on DiveRite Reg Sets for technical/decompression diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dann-Oh

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I am looking to start saving up for building my decompression kit for getting into technical/decompression diving. I am looking for an O2 bottle and a 50% bottle kits. I am currently looking into to the DiveRite line of regulators. I am looking for a bit of advice from the crowd.

Im currently diving the DiveRite XT2 sidemout kit and I like the XT1/XT2 kit.

For O2:
It looks like the DiveRite FT1/XT2 sells for about $475 and the DiveRite XT2 O2 kit sells for $300. Is there a significant difference between the FT1 and and the O2 first stages?

For 50%:
Would I also be looking at the DiveRite FT1/XT2 which sells for about $475? I know I dont want the XT2 O2 kit because its not rated for deeper than 50ft due to it being an unbalanced first stage.

I know my instructor will give me all the information that Ill need during my class but Im trying to understand what regsets I could buy so I know how much to save up. Thanks for your time.

I wouldn't waste my money on any unbalanced regulators. I've used the FT1/XT2 kit for O2 for years now without any issues. Same goes for your 50% bottle. If you already use those regulators in your primary setup, you probably won't regret getting them for deco bottles. But always talk with your instructor and see what their input is. Just don't let them sell you any crap.

The Mark 2 Evo is cold water rated and is also 250A approved which means it can support the demands of two divers at 100 feet minimum.

I wouldn't waste my money on any unbalanced regulators. I've used the FT1/XT2 kit for O2 for years now without any issues. Same goes for your 50% bottle. If you already use those regulators in your primary setup, you probably won't regret getting them for deco bottles. But always talk with your instructor and see what their input is. Just don't let them sell you any crap.

I understand the XT1 has a rotating turren and the FT1 does not. Is there a reason to NOT choose the XT1 first stage? I feel the XT1's rotating turret will offer better hose routing while the bottle is not being used. Yeah I know its an additional failure point but how mch of a risk is it really (Serious question)?

XT1 / XT4 from Dive-Rite are my suggestions.

Of course opinions vary.

Why do people think that deco regs should be different from primary regs? In what ways should the be different and why? Other than saving cost, if you don't already have enough?

I much prefer the rotating turret, but it's not necessary. What I really dislike though are regs that come straight out in line with the valve like the Dive Rite O2 deco reg. At the end of the day its all personal preference as they all work fine.

I've been using a pair of Dive Rite XT1/2 regs for years. They are good.

I got a pair of Dive Rite XT1/4 regs (their sidemount package) earlier this year. They are also good.

For anyone doing technical dives or aiming to do technical dives, I recommend to only buy 1st stages that have a swivel turret and a bottom LP port.

You may not NEED the swivel turret and bottom LP port at first. But, what happens when you start doing technical dives is that, sooner or later, you go to do a dive and find that one of your regs is having a minor issue. Maybe you could fix it on the spot and still go. Maybe not. But, sooner or later you end up just wanting to swap the reg with the issue for a different reg that is good. Go dive. Deal with the problem reg later.

Thus, I only buy regs that can serve in any position in my diving configuration.

Swivel turrets are useful for better hose routing in pretty much any configuration (including deco bottles) except for back mount single tank recreational.

An XT1 might cost a little bit more than an FT1 (looks like $20?), but in the long run I think you'll realize that it was worth it.

As for XT2 vs XT4, it looks like the XT4 is $80 more than an XT2. I cannot honestly say that I've used my XT4s enough to have an opinion on whether it's really better than the XT2. So, I can't say it's worth an extra $80. Maybe it is. I just haven't used them enough to compare.

The XT2 is reversible (L or R). It looks like the XT4 still does not have that option. I don't use any regs in a left-hand config, but I suppose you could make a case for having one set up that way for sidemount use.

If you are happy with your current XT1/XT2 regs and you just need to get 2 x regs for deco bottles, and if you are budget-sensitive, then, honestly, what I would buy and what I would recommend to you, is just get 2 XT1/2 stage reg packages.

If you like color coding, you can get replacement face plates for the XT2 regs. One of mine is now yellow and the other is green.

I don't own or use anything special for O2 versus 50% versus anything else. All regs get O2 cleaned/prepped during service. I can swap any of them to any cylinder, as needed.

Reactions: L13
I've been using a pair of Dive Rite XT1/2 regs for years. They are good.

I got a pair of Dive Rite XT1/4 regs (their sidemount package) earlier this year. They are also good.

For anyone doing technical dives or aiming to do technical dives, I recommend to only buy 1st stages that have a swivel turret and a bottom LP port.

You may not NEED the swivel turret and bottom LP port at first. But, what happens when you start doing technical dives is that, sooner or later, you go to do a dive and find that one of your regs is having a minor issue. Maybe you could fix it on the spot and still go. Maybe not. But, sooner or later you end up just wanting to swap the reg with the issue for a different reg that is good. Go dive. Deal with the problem reg later.

Thus, I only buy regs that can serve in any position in my diving configuration.

Swivel turrets are useful for better hose routing in pretty much any configuration (including deco bottles) except for back mount single tank recreational.

An XT1 might cost a little bit more than an FT1 (looks like $20?), but in the long run I think you'll realize that it was worth it.

As for XT2 vs XT4, it looks like the XT4 is $80 more than an XT2. I cannot honestly say that I've used my XT4s enough to have an opinion on whether it's really better than the XT2. So, I can't say it's worth an extra $80. Maybe it is. I just haven't used them enough to compare.

The XT2 is reversible (L or R). It looks like the XT4 still does not have that option. I don't use any regs in a left-hand config, but I suppose you could make a case for having one set up that way for sidemount use.

If you are happy with your current XT1/XT2 regs and you just need to get 2 x regs for deco bottles, and if you are budget-sensitive, then, honestly, what I would buy and what I would recommend to you, is just get 2 XT1/2 stage reg packages.

If you like color coding, you can get replacement face plates for the XT2 regs. One of mine is now yellow and the other is green.

I don't own or use anything special for O2 versus 50% versus anything else. All regs get O2 cleaned/prepped during service. I can swap any of them to any cylinder, as needed.
the XT4 is reversible for left or right hose routing.

Back
Top Bottom