diver dies off redondo beach (puget sound)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MoonWrasse:
Yes, and I've already responded to it without dragging the victims personal medical history in.

Thanks for the clarification but "dragging the victim's personal medical history in" is necessary in this particular case. Besides, the Seattle Media already dragged that one out.

Hope their July Fourth celebration will provide closure to the family.

cmgmg- I understand you point and glad you're trying to stay focused on it... but I would like to propose a different idea to you.

My husband and I are avid divers. If I was dying of cancer and wanted to go for a dive, I would be assuming risks and my husband would know it too. Maybe the victim in this case understood this as well?

Either way, it's none of MY business and I wish the family well. I also send my best wishes for her first dive after this event. (I'm sure he'll be there.)

in a similar situation, i'd probably forego any deco, cave or tech diving since i wouldn't be 100% redundant equipment for a buddy. but with an informed buddy who was okay with the risks, i'd make the same choice. it sure would beat sitting at home being depressed that you can't do anything fun because its all too 'risky'...

lamont:
in a similar situation, i'd probably forego any deco, cave or tech diving since i wouldn't be 100% redundant equipment for a buddy. but with an informed buddy who was okay with the risks, i'd make the same choice. it sure would beat sitting at home being depressed that you can't do anything fun because its all too 'risky'...
...And that might improve your chances of beating it. A friend of mine is undergoing chemotherapy, his cancer is particularly agressive and has metastasized, yet I can still make him laugh - recently I joked with him about putting his lumps up for bid on Ebay :wink:

This was reported from a witness who was there for the whole thing.

When a woman surfaced screaming, someone tried to calm her down. At that time, 911 was called and she was thrown a rope to tow them into shore and it took her a while to grab it but she did and they were then towed into shore. Once in shallow enough water, a couple of people jumped in, grabbed him, removed his gear and started CPR. All the while 911 remained on the line until medics arrived. The call ended once medics arrived (about 6 minutes after dialing 911). The victim's gear was secured and his dive profile from his computer checked. Medics worked on him for about 20 more minutes before stopping.

There was nothing unusual about the dive, 84 feet max, for 26 minutes. That’s when he signaled to his wife that he was going up. She continued on her safety stop for a minute, then came up and didn’t find him. She was directed her to his bubbles by someone on the surface, and she went back down after him (bubbles were small, almost like the fizz from soda). She brought him up to the surface and that’s when she started screaming. The weird thing is that his computer showed at the 27th minute, he popped to the surface, and then sank back down to 27 feet and was there for 2 minutes before she found him. Her computer confirmed her safety stop, surfacing, and bringing back up.

It’s common knowledge that he had cancer, but he also had a chemotherapy treatment that morning, for what it's worth.

Thank you bottle diver for more insight.

mrobinson:
cmgmg- I understand you point and glad you're trying to stay focused on it... but I would like to propose a different idea to you.

My husband and I are avid divers. If I was dying of cancer and wanted to go for a dive, I would be assuming risks and my husband would know it too. Maybe the victim in this case understood this as well?

Either way, it's none of MY business and I wish the family well. I also send my best wishes for her first dive after this event. (I'm sure he'll be there.)

Thanks for the different point of view but, at this point :wink: , I'm trying to find out if lung cancer/liver cancer/chemo's effects on diving. I had thought the purpose of this is topic is to

"The purpose of this forum is the promotion of safe diving through accident analysis.
Accurate analysis of accidents and incidents that could easily have become accidents is essential to building lessons learned from which improved safety can flow. To foster the free exchange of information valuable to this process,.."

I'm not opining on the decision to dive by the **** (or, in your example, how an individual handles a situation like cancer in his/her attitude towards life). I thought I raised issues about:

1. Would a diver's lung AND liver cancer PLUS chemo (as reported by the media .. not dragged out ...) have any effect on diving?

2. Did **** get clearance from this doctors to do so.

I admit that I missed the report in the SeattleTimes about Point #2 (it was reported that his doctors thought diving "...was good for him because it would boost the amount of oxygen going into his lungs, she added.") and thanked MoonWrasse for clarifying it.

I posted an excerpt from DAN for Point #1 that, I think, brings out the dangers of diving with lung cancer as well as the effects of chemo. I assume (I'm making a big assumption here ...) that the diver's doctors cleared him to dive knowing ALL the aspects of the risks involved.

I'm not trying to find the cause of the accident (NOT my job, mon). I'm only trying to see what extraneous factors were involved and analyze those in the GENERAL context of diving. If I appear to be opinionated, I apologize ... I don't mean to. If I appear insensitive to the diver and his family, I also apologize for that. Also, if I violated any of the rules of forum (flaming, trolling, name calling, etc.), I'll leave it up to Uncle Pug and the moderators to castigate me.

Bottle Diver's recent post metioned "It’s common knowledge that he had cancer, but he also had a chemotherapy treatment that morning, for what it's worth.". Let me raise another topic. I know his doctors said that diving is good for "boost the oxygen in his lungs" :confused6 but I wonder about the effects of chemo THAT morning?

This is getting to pointed a discussion :arrow: so I'll point myself towards the exit ... sorry :wink:

Name deleted, again.

Mentioning names, even names already in the media, is not allowed in this forum. Taking the liberty to mention them again in an *apology* is totally unacceptable. UP

Sorry, I mentioned their names.

cmgmg - maybe you could post those same questions to a doctor on a new thread. (It's a great subject idea but just so we don't accidentally hurt anyone's feelings pertaining this incident?)

mrobinson:
cmgmg - maybe you could post those same questions to a doctor on a new thread. (It's a great subject idea but just so we don't accidentally hurt anyone's feelings pertaining this incident?)

Good idea, who's a doctor on SB? Even better, is there a thread already started on Medical Conditions? If not, sounds like a good topic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom