diver dies off redondo beach (puget sound)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a reminder I want everyone responding to this thread to read the following notice posted as the first thread and defining rules for this forum:
Special rules - Please Read
The purpose of this forum is the promotion of safe diving through accident analysis.
Accurate analysis of accidents and incidents that could easily have become accidents is essential to building lessons learned from which improved safety can flow. To foster the free exchange of information valuable to this process, the "manners" in this forum are much more tightly controlled than elsewhere on the board. In addition to the TOS:

(1) Events will be "scrubbed" of names. You may refer to articles or news releases already in the public domain, but the only name you may use in this forum is your own.
(2) No "blamestorming." Accident analysis does not "find fault" - it finds hazards - and how to reduce or eliminate them.
(3) No flaming, name calling or otherwise attacking other posters. You may attack ideas; you may not attack people.
(4) No trolling.
(5) Remember that you cannot read minds. Restrict comments to what happened and how to prevent it, without speculating on what someone else was thinking (or not). The only thoughts you are qualified to share are your own.

It is important for us as a community to assess and discuss diving accidents and incidents as a means of preventing them. However, once emotions are involved intelligent discussion becomes next to impossible. If the moderators feel that the discussion is getting out of hand in any thread they may close or remove the thread, with or without notice.

You know, I'm glad I read these articles. The gentleman that passed seems to have made the most out of his life. He kept doing what he loved to do, even when faced with a mortal illness, and kept his cheerful side about him while he was at it.

How's that song go? Live like you were dying? I wish we all could do that.

Sorry, I don't usually post on these threads, but I found this story far more uplifting than I did as something to regret.

lamont:

SOME People on this board are WAY to quick to make assumptions, assign blame, and come up with lessons learned. This is NOT pointed at posts like Rick made which contain some very useful lessons.

IMO the LESSON to be learned by this is, life is short, live your life well as this departed diver did.

The guy had an illness that in all likelyhood was killing him, and soon. He chose to continue to live his life, spending his last minutes sharing the UW world with his life partner. I can think of a LOT of worst ways to go, including a long, painful, protracted death via cancer.

I think people need to GET OFF the scuba lessons that may or may NOT apply here, and celibrate this mans courage for living, as well as his wifes efforts she made when her partner was in trouble.

All this what if this, and what if that is rather pointless, and IMO callious, and rude. If you want to debate real death scenerios, there is no shortage of them involving heathly people who made stupid mistakes that cost them their lives where all the facts have been presented. Of course maybe that is not as fun for some.

My best for the familiy and friends he left behind.

Wijbrandus:
How's that song go? Live like you were dying? I wish we all could do that.

Perhaps that's the real lesson we should be taking away from this story ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

cmgmg:
Now, I'm fascinated by the thread about giving AR to the 200 lb. diver (no names :wink: ) while under water at 27ft (according to his computer) since it can be done in "with the strength/ability of an 8-year old." I'm a bit confused, is AR done while the victim is underwater or on the surface?
Artificial respirations are done at the surface. I have seen one demonstration(re-enactment) of AR given while the patient was UW. Very special set of circumstances that allowed the person to survive the very specific event.

jbd:
Artificial respirations are done at the surface. I have seen one demonstration(re-enactment) of AR given while the patient was UW. Very special set of circumstances that allowed the person to survive the very specific event.
I would be interested to hear more about that. Care to start another thread?

wedivebc:
I would be interested to hear more about that. Care to start another thread?
PM on its way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom