diver dies off redondo beach (puget sound)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2Andy:
i didn't say that :wink:

Nor did I quote you ... it's an underlying theme throughout this thread ... started by someone living thousands of miles from the accident scene, and with very little actual diving experience.

I'm speaking from experience when I say that speculating in threads like this can only add to the pain of family members of accident victims. We need to consider the source of our information before coming to conclusions about what may have caused an accident like this one.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

very true

by the same token, accident analysis is best conducted by people with no
emotional ties to the victims, so that they can more objectively look at the
available information

H2Andy:
very true

by the same token, accident analysis is best conducted by people with no
emotional ties to the victims, so that they can more objectively look at the
available information

So far the only available information is news reports, and it's reasonable to believe that those are either short on fact, or take what few facts they do have out of the context of what actually happened.

If you want factual information, you have to get it either from people who were on the scene at the time of the accident, or from an autopsy report.

While it is valid to make a generalized statement that physical conditioning and good buddy skills are important to the safety of divers, it is erroneous to do so in a way that implies either of those were a contributing factor in this accident. We simply don't know ... not even those who are here where the accident occurred.

I have no emotional ties in this case ... only an empathy for the victim's wife and dive buddy, and the knowledge that speculative discussions can reinforce the pain she's already feeling.

We need to keep that in mind ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

well...yes, of course, which is why we need to have as much respect and
emphathy for the victim and his family and friends as possible.

nevertheless, if i were to draw lessons from what is known to me right
now, those would be them.

scubasean:
Being respectful by carefully controlling what you say is much more palatable than someone telling me how or what to think...Being carefuly what you think....I'm not even sure how to do that...

I truly hope you misspoke...

I commend the woman for having the presence of mind to help her buddy spouse in the best way she knew how....

Many people have discovered the wisdom behind the following idea...

WATCH WHAT YOU THINK,
IT BECOMES WHAT YOU SAY.
WATCH WHAT YOU SAY,
IT BECOMES WHAT YOU DO.
WATCH WHAT YOU DO,
IT BECOMES YOUR CHARACTER.
WATCH YOUR CHARACTER,
IT DETERMINES WHAT YOUR FUTURE WILL BE LIKE...

..., if you really aren't sure how to control what you think about, you might consider another way to pass your time...

scububa:
Many people have discovered the wisdom behind the following idea...

WATCH WHAT YOU THINK,
IT BECOMES WHAT YOU SAY.
WATCH WHAT YOU SAY,
IT BECOMES WHAT YOU DO.
WATCH WHAT YOU DO,
IT BECOMES YOUR CHARACTER.
WATCH YOUR CHARACTER,
IT DETERMINES WHAT YOUR FUTURE WILL BE LIKE...

..., if you really aren't sure how to control what you think about, you might consider another way to pass your time...
Sounds like 1984.

Has anyone focused else focused on what I think is an important element in this accident????

The diver was being treated for lung cancer AND liver cancer AND was undergoing Chemo???

Here's a quote from DAN:

Fitness and Diving Issues: Cytotoxic drugs (chemotherapy) and radiation therapy can have unpleasant side effects such as nausea and vomiting, and a prolonged course of therapy can result in greatly decreased energy levels. This makes diving while experiencing such side effects inadvisable. Radiation and some chemotherapeutic drugs can cause pulmonary toxicity.
An evaluation to establish the safety of a return to diving should include an assessment of the lung to ensure that damage likely to predispose the diver to pulmonary barotrauma (arterial gas embolism, pneumothorax or pneumomediastinum) is not present.

Finally, before diving, healing must have occurred, and the surgeon must be satisfied that immersion in salt water will not contribute to wound infection. Strength, general fitness and well-being should be back to normal. The risk of infection, which may have increased temporarily during chemotherapy or radiotherapy, should have returned to normal levels.

So does anyone know if any of the above had/has been addressed?[/SIZE]

cmgmg:
Has anyone focused else focused on what I think is an important element in this accident????

The diver was being treated for lung cancer AND liver cancer AND was undergoing Chemo???

Here's a quote from DAN:

Fitness and Diving Issues: Cytotoxic drugs (chemotherapy) and radiation therapy can have unpleasant side effects such as nausea and vomiting, and a prolonged course of therapy can result in greatly decreased energy levels. This makes diving while experiencing such side effects inadvisable. Radiation and some chemotherapeutic drugs can cause pulmonary toxicity.
An evaluation to establish the safety of a return to diving should include an assessment of the lung to ensure that damage likely to predispose the diver to pulmonary barotrauma (arterial gas embolism, pneumothorax or pneumomediastinum) is not present.

Finally, before diving, healing must have occurred, and the surgeon must be satisfied that immersion in salt water will not contribute to wound infection. Strength, general fitness and well-being should be back to normal. The risk of infection, which may have increased temporarily during chemotherapy or radiotherapy, should have returned to normal levels.

So does anyone know if any of the above had/has been addressed?[/SIZE]

Yes ... at least it was addressed by the physicians treating him ... (from the previously-referenced obituary) ...

The doctors told Mr. Merritt that diving was good for him because it would add oxygen to his lungs.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
Yes ... at least it was addressed by the physicians treating him ... (from the previously-referenced obituary) ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Yes, and I've already responded to it without dragging the victims personal medical history in.

MoonWrasse:
Yes, and I've already responded to it without dragging the victims personal medical history in.

Yes you did ... and I think you were probably right ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom